Sticky Rear Brake Pedal

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmnewcomer

Reaction score
This problem may be of interest to others as it certainly gave me a thrill. I have an '08 with approximately 50k miles.

I began my regular morning commute and noticed that the bike seemed to be sluggish as I headed down the driveway. I got of the bike and checked my tires and everything seemed fine so I started up the road. After about 300 feet, my anti-lock warning light came on and the bike still seemed sluggish. So I returned home and was unable to push the bike into the garage so I had to start the bike and ride it in. I drove the car to work as a result.

When I got home to inspect the bike, I got it on the center stand and it didn't seem to be resisting rolling as I expected. The front and rear wheels seemed to roll just fine. As I was inspecting the anti lock wiring, I pressed on the rear brake pedal and it basically locked in the down position. I tried to turn the rear when by hand and could not. So, I sprayed some WD40 around the pedal shaft and eventually it began to loosen up but it took some time.

I then realized that I had two cases where my back tire felt like it slid in a hard turn at slow speed the day before. This seems odd and certain caused me reason for concern but I discounted it after a few miles.

I will need to take the brake pedal assembly apart soon to properly inspect and lubricate it but you may want to keep an eye on this over time since it has the potential to cause an unexpected rear wheel slide in a hard turn with the power off.

Best Regards.

Carl

Well known issue. some go as far as installing a grease fitting. Put it on your annual maintenance list and you won't have to worry.

+1 ^^ Rear brake linkage, shifter linkage, front brake and clutch levers are all annual maintenance lube tasks.

BTW, you might change your sig info to include your current ride..

51nzdNAmQ8L._SX385_.jpg

Works great for lubricating your windshield mechanism, too. :)

I sense an impending Rule #10. A shame really, our OP seemed so sincere and really did a nice job documenting the whole sticking brake pedal issue. When I saw the title of the thread I was ready to pounce on the OP for not doing a search first. After all, saying the FJR brake pedal might stick is like saying that Bust is mean or that Zilla is a doofus. Or is it the other way around? Anyway, since the guy seemed to be so sincerely trying to offer help and info, I did not point out all the info a search might have turned up. That would have been rude.
smile.png

Well known issue. some go as far as installing a grease fitting. Put it on your annual maintenance list and you won't have to worry.
+1, there's an old thread around showing a couple different ideas for the zerk. Easy to rig up and works really slick!

--G