Stolen Helmet w/ Scala G4

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry 07 FJR1300AE

Reaction score
My wife and I stopped at the local Traders Mall in rural KY. Parked within 20ft of the door in biker parking. Inside maybe 30 minutes. Returned to find my HJC FS-15 Carbon ($400) and Scala Rider G4 ($200) had been stolen off my mirror. Luckly they for some reason left my wifes exactly same helmet. I just hope the cock sucker dies in it! Ha. I have been as far East in Maine and as far South in Key West with everywhere in between and never had one touched. Here I am 30 minutes from home and someone steals a helmet. I am the kind that leaves my coat over my windshield and my helmet on the mirror, lession learned. Thanks for listening and learn something from my lesson! Now where to get a helmet lock? I have one of Garauld's racks, I guess I could just use a padlock thru the d-rings and one of the bars!

That truly sucks...

..one of the reasons I like to travel to in pairs - one can watch the stuff while the other poops, shops, or whatever.

I hope insurance covers it for you..

Sorry for your loss.

That really does seriously suck. My helmet goes in one bag and the jacket in the other, or both go in the Givi if I have it along.

(OTOH, it's so damned hot in Florida, I usually bring my helmet inside. Coming back out to a 105F helmet sucks. At least you don't have to deal with that.)

Malls & Walmarts are the worst. Anything that's ever been stolen from me or a friend, it's been at one or the other.

That SO sucks! :angry2:

I'm just too anal about the care and disposition of my Arais as well as my wifes, not to mention the replacement costs for the helmets and the Autocomm headsets I have in all 5 of them.

I know of a few guys that have lost their helmets here locally the same way and I have learned the lesson the "easy" way so if they can't be placed in the top case or the side cases, We carry them with us. It can be a pain but far less painful, IMO, then going through what you are right now.

Shit, a couple kids I know that go to Cal Poly have recently had their nice helmets CUT from the helmet locks in the school parking lot! WATCH OUT CARVER!! I hate fookin' thieves and there is very little that gets me more violently pissed then to have something stolen. Avoiding it keeps my blood pressure meds to a minimum and keeps me out of prison for murder. :dribble:

Last edited by a moderator:
...have recently had their nice helmets CUT from the helmet locks in the school parking lot!
I had a brand new helmet stolen that way when I couldn't afford it. They left the rings on the lock and just had to sew in a new strap.

Bastards.

Lucky you had the wife's helmet to get home with.

Sorry to here that it happened but maybe others will learn as the Spring riding season ishas allowed many more riders to get back in the saddle and travel about.

I have a Helmet Guardian that I use. In fact, since it came as a "double", I let others lock their helmets when we park in busy spaces.

A cheap way is to be a cable-type lock you can loop through the chin bar of a full face and around the rack.

Any lock system will only keep an honest man honest. IOW, discourage crimes of opportunity or happenstance. If someone is intent on robbing or damaging your property there isn't much you can do about it....like those who cut the chin straps. If they have planned to do harm, they might break windshields or slice seats....irresponsible miscreants abound everywhere.

With all the traveling I've done over the past four years, I've never had a problem. Although it only takes once to ruin your day. I'm always concerned about leaving my helmet exposed in a state that requires helmet usage. If its stolen, you are really screwed, especially if its a Sunday and places that might sell a helmet are all closed. Some people will steal anything not locked down.

Your misfortune has reminded me to start securing my helmet or take it inside with me while stopping somewhere, even if only for a few minutes. I tend to think that when there are multiple similar bikes parked together, a typical scenario while riding for other forum members, stuff is generally left alone. You just never know!

I bought an inexpensive cable lock to lock my helmet to the bike. I had jury duty last year and used it for the first time. Only problem was when I came back I couldn't find the key. Had to take the back roads home, hoping not to run into a sheriff. I felt like a real dip shi#. Spare key was at home, still don't know what happened to the original one. It SUCKS to have things stolen. Bring back the days when they hanged horse thieves.

That sucks, I usually leave my stuff on the bike, this is a good reminder that spring is here and I need to start using my helmet lock, I may even run a small steel cable through the face of the helmet so they will have to cut the cable to get it off. I should have a sticker made for my helmet that says

"WARNING THIS HELMET IS EQUIPED WITH GPS TRACKING, IF STOLEN YOU WILL BE TRACKED AND SHOT!!"

I bought an inexpensive cable lock to lock my helmet to the bike. I had jury duty last year and used it for the first time. Only problem was when I came back I couldn't find the key. Had to take the back roads home, hoping not to run into a sheriff. I felt like a real dip shi#. Spare key was at home, still don't know what happened to the original one. It SUCKS to have things stolen. Bring back the days when they hanged horse thieves.
You may want to PM " Fred W " if memory serves me correctly. He has fairly cheap method of locking his helmets if you have some elementry skills.

Dave

Your bike has 'undocumented' helmet locks.

Take a good look at the opening latch of your saddlebags. With a little practice, you can get the helmet D ring through the crack and onto the metal tab that locks the bags. It's a bit of a pain in the ass getting the key in and out with the helmet in the way, but it can be done.

Thanks to Moosehead for the tip "Invention is a mother.. or some such"

For me that would have entailed a call home for someone to retrieve and drop off the key. I wouldn't ride without a helmet on my noggin in any situation - but then that is just me.

I carry a cable lock as well - but it is of the 4 number combination type. So, if I am hit by a wave of amnesia and forget the combination, I can still roll through the combinations to eventually hit the right one.

Of course that also means someone-else willing to risk it and with time on their hands can roll through the combinations as well to steal my stuff, but it will still prevent crimes of convenience - thieves would rather pick an easier target unless they really really want your stuff for some reason.

I'm a pretty trusting guy but sometimes you gotta lock shit up. I carry one of these https://www.aerostich.com/retractable-cable-lock.html Fits in your pocket extends out to 36 inches so I can run the cable through my jacket and helmet and lock it to the bike.

1011_3a.jpg

Damn. I like camping and motorcycle riding, but they both present the same problem: you're leaving valuable stuff around that you can't watch. Even if you lock a helmet by the D-rings they can cut a strap and re-sew, as stated. Then there's stuff like tank bags, whatever's strapped to the passenger seat, equipment on the dash, etc. etc. With camping, unless you re-pack everything every time you stop, you're leaving all your expensive gear at the campsite if you go to hike, eat, take a dump, you name it.

What I've always hoped, anyway, is that there was some kind of fellow-feeling among campers and riders that at least minimized this kind of shit. Brotherhood. You know, wouldn't steal from a fellow rider/camper. We wave to each other, for Pete's sake. And it's usually been true for me, or I've been lucky to avoid the thieves. I did have a guy take a pair of gloves one morning after he offered to share a group campsite with me and another rider in a full campground. I always have told myself he maybe took them accidentally as he got up early and packed up and left while we were still sleeping. I still hope that. But of course, I'm kidding myself if I really believe all that crap. Didn't Beemerdons have his and Seth's campsite ransacked and robbed up in Nakusp? :angry2: So it's a lesson, but sorry it happened to you, Barry.

edited to add: Just saw MarcusO's advice--good one. And I think I'll go out in the garage today and put some I.D. info on whatever I can with my electric engraver. I do that with all my tools and electronics. Good thing to have--and cheap insurance.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I think a cable lock is going to be my method of choice for now. I ordered my replacement helmet and headset last night $410! All I can hope for is that my last one is flawed and will split open on the slightest impact. Now hopefully it will all get here in time for my trips down the Natchez Trace and Gulf Coast next weekend!

Keep check'n your local craigslist ads to see if it turns up there.
Yeah I am watching the free local classifieds and craigslist. I posted a no questions asked $400 dollar reward for it's return. Also watching eBay within a 100 mile radius. The communicator won't be good without the special charger not that they can't buy one. Plus the liner needed washing BAD from our Key West trip. I have the serial number of the communicator plus it would sync right up to my iPhone. So it would be easy to recover. Plus if some one did call and want the reward they would have to explain why they deserve a reward looking thru the barrel of my 44MAG. I do live in KY lol!