Storms drop to #2

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

griffithds

Reaction score
At 135 miles on my new PR 2's, no sign of wear. Still have the nubs on left, center, and right side. The previous tires, (Avon Storms) were feathering on the left side of the front tire, and center squaring off on the rear at the same miles. Leaving for a trip thru B.C. Canada this Sat. A 12 day trip logging about 3500 miles. I will repost as to the long distance milage and wear when I return.

I'm about to change my PR2s (for another set) after over 23,000 kms (that's, um... 14,000-odd miles), and they could probably do another couple of thousand before they are finished.

I don't ride that hard, but I do ride a lot, and they are impressive. And great in the wet.

Where you headed in Canuckistan besides BC?

Griff

I'm about to change my PR2s (for another set) after over 23,000 kms (that's, um... 14,000-odd miles), and they could probably do another couple of thousand before they are finished.
I don't ride that hard, but I do ride a lot, and they are impressive. And great in the wet.

Where you headed in Canuckistan besides BC?

Griff
Just BC. I want to see Banff, Lake Louise, Prince George, Deese lake, and alot of your National Parks. The trip will take me up to Stewart and over to Haines Alaska. I want to take the inland passage ferry down to Bellingham Wash. Then ride along the Columbia river to the turn off to Boise. I'm having trouble sleeping at night thinking about this trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
I go pretty hard most of the time and have a bit over 10,000 on my rear PR2. My previous record was 6500 with a Storm, so the added expense is definitely justified!

I like my PR2's, except, I've now experienced (5), yes FIVE rear punctures on (2) rear tires in about 15k miles. I don't know if it's just bad luck, the pressure I'm running (38-40) or if these things are simply more prone to picking up shit when they heat up.

All punctures have been towards the sides in the 'softer' compound...

https://www.tirerepairkit.com/ is my new best friend.

I like my PR2's, except, I've now experienced (5), yes FIVE rear punctures on (2) rear tires in about 15k miles. I don't know if it's just bad luck, the pressure I'm running (38-40) or if these things are simply more prone to picking up shit when they heat up.
What percentage of road time are you spending with your tires in the tracks of the cagers' tires? Carver had serious issues with punctures on the Storms, running on sharp-edged gravel roads. I haven't had an issue yet, with over ten thousand on mine, and I strive to stay on cager-tire-cleaned ribbons of pavement.

Upon inspection this morning, looks like I'll need a new rear tire soon. What's the current best deal? I'll check with Jeff @ HP Cycles as well and report back....

What percentage of road time are you spending with your tires in the tracks of the cagers' tires? Carver had serious issues with punctures on the Storms, running on sharp-edged gravel roads. I haven't had an issue yet, with over ten thousand on mine, and I strive to stay on cager-tire-cleaned ribbons of pavement.

Upon inspection this morning, looks like I'll need a new rear tire soon. What's the current best deal? I'll check with Jeff @ HP Cycles as well and report back....
90% of the time I'm in the left or right track I'd think. Haven't really changed my riding style, only my tires :)

Haven't ridden a lot of gravel either... Perhaps I'm just getting unlucky.

</end hijack>

TC I just bought (today) a rear PR2 B at Dennis Kirk delivered for 190.99

Moto X outlet has the front for $138 and rears for $167. Just bought a set for local pick up for 319.00 (includes S&H). Ship to your door costs more.

Moto X Outlet

Topspeed

Standard PR 2 rear from Derby Cycles $166.48 delivered to NJ.

Renegade,

Do you think that the black Nealy sticky strings are any better than the orange string plugs that are supposed to be used on radials?

His black strings are way longer than a standard plug, and after looking at the inside of tire I recently plugged with a standard orange plug with its fairly sizable blob, I'm thinking that a Nealy string is going leave an excessive blob inside the tire.

The Nealy kit I bought didn't come with a rasp for roughing up the hole, just an insertion tool.

Do you think that the black Nealy sticky strings are any better than the orange string plugs that are supposed to be used on radials? His black strings are way longer than a standard plug, and after looking at the inside of tire I recently plugged with a standard orange plug with its fairly sizable blob, I'm thinking that a Nealy string is going leave an excessive blob inside the tire.

The Nealy kit I bought didn't come with a rasp for roughing up the hole, just an insertion tool.
I only have the black kit, they are pretty narrow strings, but leave a knot on the inside about the size of a knickle when done right.

The first two holes I used the wrasp from my previous set, the last 3 I did not, I just ran the Nealy inserter in and out a couple times and left it at that. I'm very happy with this kit.

I'll likely never use my stop-n-go again.