Stuck in Guerro Negro - the KLR Krapped out!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Canadian FJR" data-cid="1390529" data-time="1519610752"><p>

missing vacuum cap on the vacuum port. <br />

<br />

Is this for the line that runs to the stock petcock?<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

Canadian FJR</p></blockquote>

Yes it was. A Tee on the carburetor, one plugged at the factory, one to the removed vacuum fuel valve.

I have also discovered an intermittent issue with the side stand safety switch. When stand is down, hard starting often results, when stand is up, the Beastia de Azul starts every time. Common KLR problem, many bypass both clutch and side stand switches. Will investigate further in the daylight.

Stand back all you KLR haters. A few issues but easily repaired while on the road.

Thanks for the update Big John.

Canadian FJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Stand back all you KLR haters. A few issues but easily repaired while on the road.Thanks for the update Big John.

Canadian FJR
Check my sig line, I'm a KLR owner so that gives me all rights and privileges to talk smack to all other KLR owners. I just wouldn't own a Gen II KLR
tonguesmiley.gif

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Canadian FJR" data-cid="1390529" data-time="1519610752"><p>missing vacuum cap on the vacuum port. <br />

<br />

Is this for the line that runs to the stock petcock?<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

Canadian FJR</p></blockquote>

Yes it was. A Tee on the carburetor, one plugged at the factory, one to the removed vacuum fuel valve.

I have also discovered an intermittent issue with the side stand safety switch. When stand is down, hard starting often results, when stand is up, the Beastia de Azul starts every time. Common KLR problem, many bypass both clutch and side stand switches. Will investigate further in the daylight.
Considering where you have been, and what you have experienced on this trip, what other bikes might you consider for such a trip?

Speaking of bikes to ride for some epic rides, I am itching for the 2018 Triump Tiger 1200 XCA.... but damn, it is a lot of money. I love my FJR but I am thinking of a bike to ride some off-road trails (trip to Labrador, Alaska, Trans America Trail) and with a more comfortable position. But the FJR reliability makes me hesitate. I did spend some good coin tweaking it to my liking (seat, aux lights, windshield, etc). Time will tell.....

Considering where you have been, and what you have experienced on this trip, what other bikes might you consider for such a trip?
Aside from the Day one sand, and the Day 2 really rough road and construction zone detour and mud,the whole trip would have been great on an FJR. Once the last Southern most section of MX-5 is complete between Coco's Corner and MX-1 I'd ride the route again on My FJR, Cross at Tecate, East to MX-5, South to MX-1 and on to Cabo.We saw all kinds of bikes, from large groups of Starbucks dwelling group your led BMW riders to single riders on Geezer Glides. The more difficult sections required some kind of adventure bike, our S10 and Buell Ulysses mounted riders did the worst of the roads. They did struggle over 50 miles of rugged deep sand.

Aside from the Day one sand, and the Day 2 really rough road and construction zone detour and mud,the whole trip would have been great on an FJR. Once the last Southern most section of MX-5 is complete between Coco's Corner and MX-1 I'd ride the route again on My FJR, Cross at Tecate, East to MX-5, South to MX-1 and on to Cabo.We saw all kinds of bikes, from large groups of Starbucks dwelling group your led BMW riders to single riders on Geezer Glides. The more difficult sections required some kind of adventure bike, our S10 and Buell Ulysses mounted riders did the worst of the roads. They did struggle over 50 miles of rugged deep sand.
Where did you encounter the sand?

Where did you encounter the sand?
Between La Rumurosa and Laguna Hansen on day one, between Bahia de Los Angeles and El Arco on day 3. The day 3 sand was deep, rugged and a struggle for 50 miles. The day 1 sand was deep, butternut only about a mile or two through a wash. Many naps in both sections. Only two guys road the long stretch. S10 and Buell

Last edited by a moderator:
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Blind Squirrel" data-cid="1390990" data-time="1520078030"><p>

How was Coco's corner?</p></blockquote>

Coco's is still there. The new road presently under construction will bypass his place by about 1 km. Not sure what he plans to do.

Latest posts