Stupid Oil Change question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KYCHERRY

Reaction score
Is the oil to be changed while on the centerstand? or on the sidestand? Per the manual it states to check it on the centerstand but does not mention what stand it should be on for the change......

Last edited by a moderator:
Warm the engine, and change and check levels on center stand.

Thanks Scotty - great avatar by the way. One of my all time favorite movies. Like a DA - I went out and pulled the drain plug without warming the motor. I guess there will be a little of the old oil left. :(

Thanks Scotty - great avatar by the way. One of my all time favorite movies. Like a DA - I went out and pulled the drain plug without warming the motor. I guess there will be a little of the old oil left. :(
Don't think twice about it... It will be fine ;)

Don't think twice about it... It will be fine ;)

Definitely much easier than the Roadstar - I do know that! Thanks for the help!

Both!

Because I have some anal-retentive tendencies I start the oil change with the bike on the C-stand and after letting it drain for half an hour I put it on the sidestand. A bit more oil always comes out when I do that. Probably not much, but it *looks* like a lot! :D After another 20 minutes, back on the C-stand for a short while for the final few drops.

Neither way is a complete drain, which simply isn't possible without a teardown. Do whichever one makes you the most comfortable.

My time is apparently more valuable to me than Skooter's is to him. The 3 milliliters you get with the extra half hour of dripping is not significant in the least. Again, though, whatever makes you comfortable, and he seems to need comforting.

One tip, though: Remove the screw from the fairing piece down on the left side and drape a piece of aluminum foil over it to keep oil off when you remove the filter.

Both!

Because I have some anal-retentive tendencies I start the oil change with the bike on the C-stand and after letting it drain for half an hour I put it on the sidestand. A bit more oil always comes out when I do that. Probably not much, but it *looks* like a lot! :D After another 20 minutes, back on the C-stand for a short while for the final few drops.
I flip my bike upsidedown with the fill plug open...very stable on the handlebars and trunk top...I get a little more out that way... :p

Both!

I flip my bike upsidedown with the fill plug open...very stable on the handlebars and trunk top...I get a little more out that way... :p
Stop copying off of Skooter - he flips his bikes over all the time - been doing it for years.

Both!

Hey Mike, invite me over next time you change your oil. I would like to see how it is done. Seems like an easy way to lube rear suspension links also.

I change oil / filter on side stand and check level stood up level on both tires.

Since spec calls for center stand, this means I've been overfilling it for a good 60,000 miles.

So, does it matter? No.

So, just to sum up:

Based on the experience of folks who have owned these bikes for years and taken them deep into 5 or even 6 figure mileage, you should (1) change it on the centerstand, or (2) the sidestand, or (3) both, or (4) hold it upside down while it drains.

Hope that helps! :thumbsup:

Based on my own experience, if you go with method (4), while holding it upside down, you should give it two or three really good shakes, like a ketchup bottle.

(Actual summary: Just change the freakin' oil -- it doesn't matter how. :winksmiley02: )

So, just to sum up:

Based on the experience of folks who have owned these bikes for years and taken them deep into 5 or even 6 figure mileage, you should (1) change it on the centerstand, or (2) the sidestand, or (3) both, or (4) hold it upside down while it drains.

Hope that helps! :thumbsup:

Based on my own experience, if you go with method (4), while holding it upside down, you should give it two or three really good shakes, like a ketchup bottle.

(Actual summary: Just change the freakin' oil -- it doesn't matter how. :winksmiley02: )
Do you have to remove the valve cover if you use method (4)?

OK, I've got this one covered:

First, do warm the bike up before draining just 'cause the earl drains mo' faster. I also prefer to scorch my hands whenever doing routine maintenance as penance to the bike service gods.

Next, with the bike up on the center stand, pull out the drain plug (doh!).

hint: It is always best to position the drain pan before doing this. You can do it after, but it is a little messier.

Oh yeah, use a wrench for this, it's hard to do with your fingers with that hawt drain plug.

While the earl is drainin' I pull out the allen screw on faring panel just below the earl filtah. If you then stick the same allen wrench into the vacant hole it will hold that flexi panel out away from the engine case far enough that it might not get all drenched with earl.

Now pull off the ole' earl filter. You'll need to reposition the drain pan before this step or else have that same mess problem to clean up.

A big drain pan is your best friend.

Here's the earth shakin' FJR earl changin' secret, revealed:

When everything seems to have come to a stop, (which don't take all that long with hawt earl) then tip the bike to the left while it's still on the center stand. :eek: That big metal tang on the left side of the center stand... you know, the one you stomp to get the bike up on it? Well that will prevent you from tipping the bike past "the point of no return". A whole bunch more (technically defined as significantly more than a few Floriduh oz's) of that old hawt earl will drain outta the injun.

If you get tired of holdin the bike tipped to the left on the center stand (it won't stay up there by itse'f) you can slip a lil' chunk o' 2x4 under the right leg of the center stand and keep it there for the remainder of the SkooterG drain period.

Now, when it's tipped ta the left and drainin' I'll sumtimes go 'head and open up a brewsky or two. I find that 2 'gansetts insures a complete draining. Never exceed 6 'gansetts or you may not remember to put back the drain plug or (even worse) the earl filtah. DAMHIKT!!

The worsetest thing you can do is forgit to refill the bike with new earl. If you do, just don' mention it in the eBay ad. ;)

With all that 'tippin and drippin' you still have almost a quart of oil in the engine, so, what's the point. Drain warm (to get as much of the suspended stuff you want to get out of the crankcase) and fill her back up.

With all that 'tippin and drippin' you still have almost a quart of oil in the engine, so, what's the point.
Dammit. Now you let the cat outta the bag. :p

Oil Quantity
Total amount 4.9 L (4.31 Imp qt,
5.18 US qt
) ----
Without oil filter cartridge replacement 3.8 L (3.34 Imp qt, 4.02 US qt) ----
With oil filter cartridge replacement 4.0 L (3.52 Imp qt,
4.23 US qt
) ----

All of these responses to date are just a bunch of horsecock, because a *real* FJR owner would just suck the old oil out with a straw.

:jester: