Sturgis 2015 - Unbelievable

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But still the Black Hills were redolent with inept cruiser riders clogging up the roadways. We actually aborted our ride over the Needles Highway because I was fed up with being jammed behind a bunch of pirates "riding their ride" of a death march. Just getting the hell out of there we ended up having to pass throngs of them 8 or 10 at a time when we could. Of course I always waved my thanks for them "letting me by" No need to spread ill will.
Ride with Yamafitter. He'll show you a way around..
punk.gif

Went to the rally in 1971 for first time. Got there on Wed. and not a person in CIty park. It was a family outing. Picked up a gal in Spearfish canyon. Dated her for years. Times change.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link to the video feed. Now I feel like I have been there.
You won't feel like you've been there unless you attach your computer to that washing machine on the other thread, and turn your stereo up to 11 on static.

Then you'll feel like you 've been there.

smile.png

On purpose... we were there last week (a week prior to the rally). Perfect! Only about 10K bikes in town and we could move at will on the streets, get into the downtown hot spots with dinner (no ressies)! I was impressed at all the stuff I saw and took in there, but to do it during the 75th event with 1.3M bikes? NO TY!

Jessie James Dupree brought me right up front for pics (he could care less that I didn't drive a Harley)....

20150720_191041_zpsj8nefdrt.jpg

Plus I met a bunch of characters, this is Fajita Mike. He propositioned me to a tequila tip off!... I gracefully declined. :)

20150720_175543_zps9pmozs4s.jpg

We had awesome weather out there, loved every bit of it! (badlands pic'd) ...my RR is forthcoming. :)

1437418529695_zpszpqhjgro.jpg

Just watched a few minutes of the street cam. Watched a powered wheelchair go by. It was the fastest moving vehicle there. JSNS.

I was out at the Rally this past weekend...arrived Friday at noon. Was able to get out riding on Saturday and Sunday...on Saturday 2 pirates needed my lane to negotiate a couple of corners while I was making the southern loop through the Hills on Needles, 385, Iron Mt Rd and Old Hill City Road...I chose the northern route for Sunday...less congested. Went to Hulett and the Tower, then Spearfish Canyon before it got too busy.

On Saturday afternoon I ended up over at the dragway for the Run What You Brung races. I got to hang out with Cary Hart, the Bostrom brothers, Doug Henry and Ricky Carmichael. I enjoyed talking to all of them. I especially enjoyed my time talking to Doug...he has kept right on living after his accident.

Sunday I had breakfast with John Shope of Dirty Bird Customs and a couple of other builders at Caddy's. Away from the show you see on Discovery they are a pretty normal bunch...alot of crap is all TV. Shope picked up the breakfast tab for everyone at the horseshoe bar having breakfast while he was there. He showed me a cut reel they have for a new show....yep....more bike shows are coming to Discovery Networks.

All good things must come to an end...I got out Monday morning...the mercantilism on display was a little overwhelming...the shit for sale was staggering...no longer a bike event....its motorhomes and trailers. Our campground overlooked the hospital and I90 ramps on the south side of town...way way too many helicopter rides and ambulances on the move with sirens blaring to feel safe around that crowd...

Starting to clear out now, will be fewer and fewer people here, by Sunday afternoon a veritable Ghost Town with mountains of used tires and trash.

I was out at the Rally this past weekend...arrived Friday at noon. Was able to get out riding on Saturday and Sunday...on Saturday 2 pirates needed by lane to negotiate a couple of corners while I was making the southern loop through the Hills on Needles, 385, Iron Mt Rd and Old Hill City Road...I chose the northern route for Sunday...less congested. Went to Hulett and the Tower, then Spearfish Canyon before it got too busy.
On Saturday afternoon I ended up over at the dragway for the Run What You Brung races. I got to hang out with Cary Hart, the Bostrom brothers, Doug Henry and Ricky Carmichael. I enjoyed talking to all of them. I especially enjoyed my time talking to Doug...he has kept right on living after his accident.

Sunday I had breakfast with John Shope of Dirty Bird Customs and a couple of other builders at Caddy's. Away from the show you see on Discovery they are a pretty normal bunch...alot of crap is all TV. Shope picked up the breakfast tab for everyone at the horseshoe bar having breakfast while he was there. He showed me a cut reel they have for a new show....yep....more bike shows are coming to Discovery Networks.

All good things must come to an end...I got out Monday morning...the mercantilism on display was a little overwhelming...the shit for sale was staggering...no longer a bike event....its motorhomes and trailers. Our campground overlooked the hospital and I90 ramps on the south side of town...way way too many helicopter rides and ambulances on the move with sirens blaring to feel safe around that crowd...
That Old City Hill Rd was a nice treat. Not very popular either!. I don't think we met a single bike on that road. Only neggie was that darn Railroad track that kept fading in and out. I did finally see the 1880 tourist train, but that was at the South end in Keystone (or was it Rushmore?) and it was just loading up.

Thanks to Tom (TominCA) for that little add-in on my Black Hills loop :)

That Old City Hill Rd was a nice treat. Not very popular either!. I don't think we met a single bike on that road. Only neggie was that darn Railroad track that kept fading in and out. I did finally see the 1880 tourist train, but that was at the South end in Keystone (or was it Rushmore?) and it was just loading up.
Thanks to Tom (TominCA) for that little add-in on my Black Hills loop
smile.png
There is a historic scenic train that uses that winding track on Old City Hill Rd. I was talking with the conductor, and he told me that the Harley riders habitually crash on the curves where the tracks cross, and the train has to keep an eye out for downed cruisers. When I went through, there was a sizable herd of cattle on the road. Glad you liked it!

Thanks to Tom (TominCA) for that little add-in on my Black Hills loop
smile.png
There is a historic scenic train that uses that winding track on Old City Hill Rd. I was talking with the conductor, and he told me that the Harley riders habitually crash on the curves where the tracks cross, and the train has to keep an eye out for downed cruisers. When I went through, there was a sizable herd of cattle on the road. Glad you liked it!
Yepper Brotha Tom, I told my 2 other riding pals that you called this road "The Harley Killer". But, us 3 Beemer dudes liked it very much.
smile.png
About as Isolated as a road that we took, at least in the Black Hills.

Hope you're coming to EOM.... I'll have a special treat for ya!
wink.png