Suggestions for first LD ride, an SS1000

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HK, good points. We both have heated jacket liners now and pigtails to run them together. She is the one who is much more susceptible to the cold as I have done multi-hour rides in 35-40F temps without using any heated gear except grip warmers. As for not successfully completing this SS1K, I really don't think it will be too disappointing. As I said previously, we travel really well and enjoy the close time together. I am starting to really consider leaving early Thursday to ride straight through and arrive somewhere between midnight and 2am. This is still definitely a work in process and I continue to appreciate all the feedback!

I am signed up (my first) for the JAX SS100 in March. The mid point of the route is within 10 miles of my house. My first thought was to plan a rest break on home turf. After reading this thread and reflecting on it, I don't think I'll want to break my pace (whatever it may be). If nature is calling around then I may reconsider. I can rest when the job is done!

Oh Jasen, YOU ARE IN BIG TROUBLE!!!
I didn't type it, I just quoted it.
biggrin.png

Jax is 900 miles away from us so it probably it's not a good replacement. I know we can do the Moonshine SS1K if weather cooperates and we have a successful test run down to Asheville the weekend before, about 500 miles one way!

I'm not sure you should do 1000 miles on twisty roads, but 500 miles on twisty, lightly travelled Arkansas roads seems doable.

I'm not sure you should do 1000 miles on twisty roads, but 500 miles on twisty, lightly travelled Arkansas roads seems doable.
Agreed! The beauty of the FJR - great on the slab as it is in the twisties. Not perfect but very capable!

I view LD riding as an accomplishment and adventure. Curvy roads are fun and exhilarating.

But you also must view the rides as they will transpire. Night time riding is a whole different animal in itself. Twisties in the daylight are fatigue creating, but at night they can be a ride breaker.

Try to plan your LD rides as a step ladder. First ride should be simple and have the best chance for success.

.... Then you can go from there up.

LD Wisdom is to never rest at home because the temptation to stay can be very great. During leg 2 of the '11 IBR, I was within 5 miles of my house and kept on going. At that point in my rally, I may well have stayed. Looking back, it would have saved me from totaling my bike and getting beat to hell on the freeway 6.5 miles from the finish... But I do not regret my decision to press on. I set out to accomplish something and I did.

I do know a few riders who have successfully rested at home during a rally. So again, this is more proof that each of us is different. My night vision is not the best and not getting any better as I get older. I avoid riding at night because of it. If I do, I stick to the main roads as much as possible. It's no guarantee, but better to have something bad happen on a main road than in the middle of nowhere. Bob Higdon nugget of wisdom "There is absolutely nothing that might happen on your ride that would be better if it happened at night"

Okay, I don't seem to be able to do the quote thing despite hitting the quote button numerous times...

Trust me, there wasn't one thing romantic about that ride.
no.gif
It was especially cold! But he needed a ride and it's my bike. I wasn't the one who needed a ride, so get on back! That was the second time I took him to get a bike at a distant location. The first was an equally unpleasant ride in the pouring rain to Erie, PA. I got yelled at for stopping at a gas station without covered gas pumps. I looked at him and calmly said, "Have you seen another gas station recently? Do you want me to continue and run out of gas in a location that is very unlikely to be covered? Or would you prefer to just go inside the C-store so I can pump the gas and we can get going?" That ended that conversation
lol.gif

I'm not sure if Bob has ever ridden across the GWB or not, but I am certain that he is much smarter now than to EVER ride across the GWB at night or the daytime or any other time. There are plenty of alternates. Unless the bridge itself is a bonus location, there is never a reason to ride across that bridge.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure if Bob has ever ridden across the GWB or not, but I am certain that he is much smarter now than to EVER ride across the GWB at night or the daytime or any other time. There are plenty of alternates. Unless the bridge itself is a bonus location, there is never a reason to ride across that bridge.
Now that's funny! Had this conversation with my brother-in-law just last night and he said almost the same exact thing. Couldn't remember the last time he was on it. Too many better ways to get where you need to be.

Had a close call at speed on the west end of that bridge on the way home from Sag Harbor. Glad the FJR had enough giddyup to fix my brain cramp.

That's all I'm a gonna say.

But... if one were ever so foolish as to ride across the GWB, night time (like ~2AM) saves you about an hour, hour and a half.
wink.png

I've been watching this thread with great interest as two years ago I did the Moonshine SS 1,000 for my first IBA qualifying event. Being in Chicago I did the Chicago to Sioux City to Casey route. Before I left I though of it a lot like Allen_C is thinking. I even left Chicago at 2:30 in the afternoon. It truly would have gone much the way Allen_C is thinking were it not for the fact that when I got to Sioux City, IA (the half way point) the sky opened up to down pour. I took a rest, gas and coffee break for about an hour and the rain just kept coming. Ignoring time honored advice I got on the FJR and just kept going through the down pour. It turned out that I 35 was under construction from Sioux City to Kansas City, MO. Between the rain, cold, construction and down pour those were miserable dangerous miles. By the time I was on I 70 in Missouri on the way to St Louis with it still pouring rain and the sun coming up into my face going east I was exhausted. With spots in my eyes and being cold and miserable, I found a gas station on I 70 with a MacDonald in it. I ordered a coffee and found a table in the back to nap at. An hour and a half nap and I was back on the way in lighter rain and a happy ending at Casey.

I finished in about 21 hours partly because I took another two hour break in Illinois to return business calls and rest my eyes. Somehow the lesson I learned, luckily at no cost, is to expect the unexpected and that ending without mishap (accident) is better then ending on time. The first and most important rule to long distance riding is to finish without an accident. Therefore when your eyes are having trouble or your concentration has gotten down to the "E" for empty a break is an absolute necessity.

I don't think that the route for the Indianapolis-Little Rock-Casey run takes them on the Arkansas back roads. It's slabs the whole way. That takes a lot of the dangers of night ride out of the run.

I agree completely with the advice that others gave about staying in Little Rock. A prolonged rest stop at the half way point will leave almost no reserve time. If then bad weather or bad traffic strike your screwed. It's probably better to try not to work the day that you're leaving and ride without the plan of a long (4-5 hour rest stop). Figure that you'll sleep good in Casey on Friday night.

When I did it two years ago, after the IBA ride I slept like a log in Casey Friday night, got my burger and hung out Saturday morning and then took off for the Kentucky/Indiana hill country for Saturday and Sunday riding. That was the first time that I rode on Indiana 66 down by Tell City, Indiana. I stayed Saturday night in Louisville and came home Sunday night to Chicago. It was a good experience, except I blew a fork seal on a pot hole on Indiana 66.

Have fun with the ride and be safe. When in doubt play it safe, there will always be another SS 1000 to try. Wish I could go!

Gurock, thanks for sharing. We are now leaning towards leaving early Thursday to arrive late Thursday/early Friday. If weather is forecasted to rain then we will do this a different time. I want or first one to be positive without weather dampening it (pun intended).

I couldn't agree with this statement more even if I tried. Spot on.

The memory of not finishing a ride on time is fleeting. The memory of an accident ...well let's just say it sucks. It ain't worth it.

Leave for your trip fully rested. You both will enjoy it so much more.

BTW...kudos to your wife for doing this ride with you.

Somehow the lesson I learned, luckily at no cost, is to expect the unexpected and that ending without mishap (accident) is better then ending on time. The first and most important rule to long distance riding is to finish without an accident. Therefore when your eyes are having trouble or your concentration has gotten down to the "E" for empty a break is an absolute necessity.

Some great info flowing in this thread. I want to get a 1000 under my belt that is registered. I ran from Chicago to just shy of Fargo SD a couple yrs ago. 1200 miles in about 19 hrs. Not even sure he I did it. Needed some me time so I got up a about 5:30am and headed north. I think I had so much going on that time kind of flew by, except about the last 5hrs back in a cold misty rain. I was nervous riding the Wis Rds at night worrying about deer. I tucked behind a truck and pushed on. I was getting tired and got to Madison, I said time to get doe rest ...... By other alter ego said your not that far. I wasn't so much tired as I was sore (2007 Ultra) I wish I would have known more about the IBA before doing the ride. I took enough time to stretch get gas, grab a snack and push on. The longest rest stop was maybe 30 min burger and go.

It wasn't a bad ride one hand was doer for about 4 days and numb other than that notta. I keep thinking I want to do another but st 55 wrestle with what's the point ....... Plan a 300- 500 day stop nice diner comfy bed and then return trip or 2 days out and then back. Down side no cool license plate holder :)

Oh, I forgot to post a follow up in this thread! Some of you may have already read my rude report in this section, but as a recap:

We completed the SS1K the weekend before Moonshine and had a little adventure...new to us bike, rode from AZ to eastern IL, no sore butts, but some interesting memories!