Summer Ride around Lake Superior - But we have a possible big issue (DWI related)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLS

Reaction score
Planning a ride with a bunch of friends around Lake Superior this Summer.

We all got together last weekend and during the planning process a conversation came up about having a DWI and not being allowed into Canada because of it.

None of us could find anything definitive on it online, so I'm curious if anybody here knows what the Canadian laws are regarding letting a US Citizen into Canada with a DWI on his/her record.

Sorry bro It's a no go.... We had a driver get turned away @ Sarnia last week..

However he was convicted of that offense.. If your buddy was charged and NOT convicted he's good to go.

At least thats what they told us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry bro It's a no go.... We had a driver get turned away @ Sarnia last week..

However he was convicted of that offense.. If your buddy was charged and NOT convicted he's good to go.

At least thats what they told us.
Thanks for the info man. That's a bummer, but it is what it is.

From a buddy of mine who is a Canada customs agent :

American's who have a dwi/dui are not admissible to Canada if the offense (found guilty) occurred within last 10 yrs. If it was longer than 5 yrs, for a cost they can apply for criminal rehabilitation with Canadian Immigration (as long as they only have one dwi and no other serious criminality - if they have more than one, they have to apply to the consulate for a temporary residence permit (for a cost as well and which is only given in extenuating circumstances (spouse, parent, child dying or dead), or if a major benefit to Canada (rock stars helping venues make a lot of money for Canadian business)). Plus keep in mind, if they are traveling by land at a busy border or one that is not automated, they could get through if they don't get run in the system.

For more info, here is a website that can help....

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index-can.asp

Hope that helps.

I've got a buddy who was heading into the US with a small group. As each took their turn through the border crossing their wasn't any problems. Except one guy.

The border guard asked him if he'd ever been arrested. Guy said no. Border Guard "Are you sure?", Guys gets a little irate and and says "Of course I'm sure!". Border guard "So you didn't get arrested for DUI when you were 17?"

"Well ya",

"Thank you sir, you may turn around over there."

So it's a two way street, and one way if you've ever run into a problem, or, cock off to the guard.

I don't agree with the guard turning someone around for such a petty issue (given the number of years), but I could see why he would be pissed at being lied to. Probably if the guy would have said yes from the start and was being truthful, things would have gone a much better way. As they say : You only have one chance to make a good impression.

Last edited by a moderator:
fyi - If you're crossing the border with Barry, make sure you go first because the customs agent will not be happy after he's talked to Barry...