Superbrace on Gen II

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfletch69

Reaction score
On a recent run across nowhere Nebraska - at very high speeds - I began to feel a bit of a spaghetti feel in the front forks. Nothing dangerous, but it popped in my head that I need more support to the front forks. I assume that is the idea behind the superbrace. Before I go buy one and have it installed, I would appreciate any suggestions or warnings from you who have one installed.

Thanks in advance!

Spaghetti feel in a corner? Being Nebraska I wouldn't think so...and I don't think a fork brace is going to do anything for a bike in a straight line. It's when there are sideload forces that the brace helps....and I don't think "spaghetti" then....more if it's "wallowing".

Spaghetti feel in a corner? Being Nebraska I wouldn't think so...and I don't think a fork brace is going to do anything for a bike in a straight line. It's when there are sideload forces that the brace helps....and I don't think "spaghetti" then....more if it's "wallowing".
I wasn't in corners. Just straight line and moving for long periods of time in the 115 mph range. I noticed if I jerked on the handle bars, it felt like they were twisting just a bit.

I wasn't in corners. Just straight line and moving for long periods of time in the 115 mph range. I noticed if I jerked on the handle bars, it felt like they were twisting just a bit. It occurred to me that if I needed to make a sudden evasive move, it would be better if it was a little stiffer. Is that what the brace helps?

I wasn't in corners. Just straight line and moving for long periods of time in the 115 mph range. I noticed if I jerked on the handle bars, it felt like they were twisting just a bit.
Besides the wisdom of jerking on the handlebars at triple digit....I think you're demonstrating that there's gyroscopic effect on a fast spinning wheel that doesn't like to change direction suddenly. And, in that case the brace probably won't help much as you're applying a torsional force on the forks. I'd check to make sure bolts are to spec. If it was apart before...those lower triple clamp bolts can be a bugger to get a wrench on.....let alone a torque wrench.

Besides the wisdom of jerking on the handlebars at triple digit....I think you're demonstrating that there's gyroscopic effect on a fast spinning wheel that doesn't like to change direction suddenly. And, in that case the brace probably won't help much as you're applying a torsional force on the forks. I'd check to make sure bolts are to spec. If it was apart before...those lower triple clamp bolts can be a bugger to get a wrench on.....let alone a torque wrench.
Thanks Iggy

I can not speak for how much of an effect a super brace will have on the FJR. My VStrom would dance behind the turbulent wind behind semi's prior to the install. Once the brace was install stability increase noticeably. It also made the bike more planted cornering.

But those are problems I do not have with the FJR.

I've been using a Superbrace on my Gen II for years, IMHO it makes a lot of beneficial difference, both under hard braking (forks can't flex as much) and with longer front tire life (maybe as much as 1-1.5K more). I'm very happy with it.

I installed a Superbrace about a year ago and have been quite pleased with it. It did take away the flex I felt in the front end in high speed turns.

I have a gullwing SuperBrace that was originally on my 2004 and that I swapped over to my 2006. I can definitely feel the improvement in sweepers especially if 2-up (which I often am). I am a fan of the product, but have no clue if it will impact the OP's sensation of straight line looseness at speed...

I bought a superbrace for my 04 before I wrecked it. I guess it helped stiffen things up somewhat, but to me not that much more than before it was added. For me the FJR has a good enough suspension. If I ever get any wallowing in turns I ajdust the suspension some and it goes away. I doubt I'll ever buy another fork brace for an FJR. Don't think they really need one. Just my opinion.

GP