SW-FOG 2017?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If for some reason you don't want to stay in Estes Park because of $ and want close proximity, one might as well stay in Boulder.

Parts of Colorado are so great for riding, but I'm always amazed at how MANY people are on the roads in summer in places like the Million $. Steamboat Springs and NW CO on the other hand do not have that problem. You can easily get to some of the massive ranges, but there is also some really great mountain/desert riding to be had out there where you can put all 1298cc to work
rolleyes.gif

Yes, I liked Steamboat because there is a lot of riding in the area and not much traffic, most tourists fly into there. It might be a stretch for some people though.

Yes, I liked Steamboat because there is a lot of riding in the area and not much traffic, most tourists fly into there. It might be a stretch for some people though.
Most FJR riders like to stretch.

Enough talk, someone step forward and commit. Where and when and I am in.

I just sold my '07 today (90k on her) and plan to pick up the '17 this week. I'm ready to ride. Glacier NP or Banff as a side trip anybody?

Hmmmmm. Steamboat to Estes Park, only 3 hrs, hwy 40 to 34.

Do lunch in Estes Park and return same route

or take a 4 hr detour loop, riding hwy 72-119-70-9-40 back to Steamboat.

So, is it Steamboat most are itching to stay?

What month fits into your itinerary, June, July, Aug or Sept? September could be pushing the weather factor, but could present some possible color.

Last edited by a moderator:
July or August for us. Got YFO in June and I have the Reuben Run in September.

If I, with assists, were to take this on, timing is all important. We are looking at Steamboat as the home base.

Here are a couple possible dates: July 13-15 or Aug 3-6 or other preference?

Let's here your voice for preference.

July 13 would be WAY cooler than August 3 crossing Kansas.
cold.gif

No difference for me as I will be trailering with a good A/C.

I thought I had my ride planing figured out for this riding season but I just happened to blindly pick take vacation for 6 day weekends on those two weekends. I think I would be in for either one of those weekends provided I have enough rider coaches to run the school while I'm gone. Build it and they will come.
smile.png

If I, with assists, were to take this on, timing is all important. We are looking at Steamboat as the home base.

Here are a couple possible dates: July 13-15 or Aug 3-6 or other preference?

Let's here your voice for preference.

I thought I had my ride planing figured out for this riding season but I just happened to blindly pick take vacation for 6 day weekends on those two weekends. I think I would be in for either one of those weekends provided I have enough rider coaches to run the school while I'm gone. Build it and they will come.
smile.png
I was leaning more to the July 13-15 date as it is past the Independence weekend and not as steamy as August could be and past the snowed-in Yosemite June ride will be.

I am stoked to revisit Estes Park again since the July 24-27, 2008 NAFO Golden CO rally.

Any other thoughts out there.

I'm pretty sure I can't do July 13-15. We have a large kid camp that I'm in charge if, and that's the last week of it. August would work way better. However, I know planning these things can be a PITA, and there is no way to make sure EVERYONE can make any given date. Pick the one you like and run with it.

Thinking July in Colorado is gonna be hot. Although, i dunno if August will be any better, so maybe that's a moot observation.

I'm pretty sure I can't do July 13-15. We have a large kid camp that I'm in charge if, and that's the last week of it. August would work way better. However, I know planning these things can be a PITA, and there is no way to make sure EVERYONE can make any given date. Pick the one you like and run with it.
Thinking July in Colorado is gonna be hot. Although, i dunno if August will be any better, so maybe that's a moot observation.
I haven't set the rally for July 13-16 yet and am still getting quotes from hotels (one who offer breakfast) in Steamboat Springs.

What dates would work better for those of you thinking of coming:

July 13-16 or

July 20-23

July 20-23 works well for me. That's my vote! Remember, that's also barely a month after YFO. For me, and I'm sure others it's hard to make all these rides, especially if theyre spaced too close together. Either way, July 20-23 works for availibility.

I'm out, will be at Pendleton Bike Week. Maybe next year.
Hold your ponies blufjr. The date isn't set yet. I'm planning on going with my original date of Aug 3-5 because a full moon is Aug 7 and it would make for some awesome night riding.

And besides, while all are mulling around the bikes in the evening, we'll be bathed in the moon glow instead of tripping over beer cans in the dark of night.
unsure.png

Ok, there, the date is set. Now to get ahold of my agent, who is getting hotel bids and modify the date.

When that is arranged, I will make an official announcement in another thread.

Ok. Ed has used his Voodoo powers and frigging coerced me into helping. I officially hate you guys!! However, Steamboat Springs doesn't seem to have any good rides close by, so we're discussing the Estes Park area. I know, I know, it's expensive. Well, welcome to Colorado. They take tourist season seriously.

I'm looking at close towns that may be cheaper, and Loveland CO, which may be the have to, just for money and size. I'm looking for a place with close to 30 rooms that can accommodate approx 50 people. I'm looking for places with breakfast, clean beds, decent showers, and hopefully less than $100/night. That last part may be a stretch, but I'll do what I can.

August 3rd through 6th. Checking in Thursday afternoon and leaving Sunday morning. Did I already mention I hate you guys?

Stay tuned, and if you think you're definitely in, post up. That will help with actual room count guesstimates.

Damn that Ed!!