Swapping an '07 AE engine into an '04

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motiontwoofmn

Reaction score
Wondering if it is possible to use an '07 AE engine minus the electric shift components by fitting the '04 standard clutch master cylinder, shifter linkage, custom stainless clutch line, clutch side handlebar control housing along with some other bits? My '04 is skipping in second gear under moderate acceleration. I can get a crashed '07 AE cheap with a solid engine. Thanks.

Short answer yes, but IIRC, there are a couple components that need swapping. Biggest issue to remember is the revised shift pattern for the AE with neutral at the bottom. This can be corrected by changing to a standard shift drum.

There's a couple detailed threads regarding an AE engine swap. Use your google search-foo to uncover the gems...I'll see if I can quickly find them too.

Good luck!

--G

Dropping the Gen II engine into a GenI has been done but it isn't a simple direct swap. There is a thread or two here where it was described. As escapefjrtist said, it is a reasonably easy thing to change the AE to an A but that will also take some work. If the '04 engine doesn't have too many miles, it might be as just as easy to split the cases and fix that one!

It can be done but much easier to use an A engine to start with.

Shift drum will need to be replaced opening up lower engine case. If you're going that far just repair the trans. Its expensive either way.

Newer engines will work. Gen II is easy swap. AE much harder. I doubt newer 6 speed will work with all the sensors on GEN I or II. Not going there.

It can be done but much easier to use an A engine to start with.Shift drum will need to be replaced opening up lower engine case. If you're going that far just repair the trans. Its expensive either way.

Newer engines will work. Gen II is easy swap. AE much harder. I doubt newer 6 speed will work with all the sensors on GEN I or II. Not going there.
I think I'd have no problem riding a bike with the N at the bottom of the shift pattern. My '75 Kawasaki was like that.

Thanks to all that so quickly responded to my question. It never ceases to amaze me the wealth of quality, technically savvy members on this forum so readily willing to help another member in need of their expertise. I'll read and digest the shared links provided and move forward with the solution. Much appreciated.