Table Saws

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimLor

Reaction score
I know opinions are tough to get here, but would like some about a table saw.

I am a competent woodworker - have made bookcases, table or two, etc. I bought a cheap-ass foreign table saw 10 years ago knowing it was a cheap-ass table saw and it has proven itself over the years. I need to get a "decent" table saw.

I would like a;

- Cabinet vice contractor saw -- I don't need to move it around

- Want a 4" connection for dust collection

- Decent motor - pully not direct drive I don't think I "need" a 3 Hp, but would like at least 1.75

- Prefer cast iron extensions to stamped steel

- That's about it, a basic, decent saw

I've looked at (internet, not physically) a couple of the usual suspects (DeWalt, Delta, Hitatchi, Jet, Grizzley) and at least one I've never heard of - Steel City. I've read some pretty decent reviews of the Steel City saw which costs ~$900. They have one with a granite top and riving slot for another 150 or so.

I would welcome thoughts, comments, recommendation, and your experiences with a particular saw.

Thanks!

SF,

Jim

The Grizzly saws get decent reviews, you might try to pick one up at the tent sales they have twice a year. They sell new equipment that has bee damaged in shipping or some other way. I bought a 15" planer at one of their sales for $500, put $40 bucks worth of parts in it, and saved $150 off a new not broken one. That things will turn wood into chips quickly!

On the other hand my uncle in-law just removed the ends of his fingers with a table saw, so I am pretty sure he would recommend the saw stop saws. ;)

If yur into ATGATT for m/c riding - you should do the same with your table saw!

SawStop

https://www.sawstop.com/

:clapping:

hot_dog_white_frame.jpg

On a serious note - I have a Rigid Table Saw and have been very happy with it.

Rigid

TS3650_2_3C.jpg

I ahve the Grizzley 1023Z with the 3 hp 240 volt motor. I have had it about 5 years now. It is excellent. It is a cabinet saw with the cast iron leafs. You can get it in left tilt (wasn't available when I bought). The price is very reasonable, back then it was $750. I did change the fence system to a Delta unifence since I had one available. The shop fox fence that comes with it is very good also, I just had more experience using the Unifence. It is very easy to get everything square and flat. I have a 4" dust port on it too.

I built a table around it so I could run a full sheet a plywood through it and have it totally supported on the out feed. The guys that came to the tech meet at my house saw how it was set up. They might offer their thoughts. I'll try to post up a picture of my set up.

I come from a family of woodworkers. My Dad and his brother were professional cabinetmakers. They inherited the business (started as Paternmakers) from their father. My mother's father was also a woodworker, teaching in the construction trades at the Wentworth Institute in Boston, back when they used to teach such things. I did not follow the family path, but I can tell you what I observed.

Every saw in my father's sizable shop was a Delta. I do not know that the modern Delta equipment is as good as these machines of days gone by, but I remember my father saying it was the best professional table saw you could buy. Maybe you can score an old Delta?

As to the "Saw Stop", it used to take several minutes for my fathers industrial table saws to get up to speed, even longer to spin down. I don't think that scheme would work on one of those. Of course there were a lot of missing fingers on his workers hands. He managed to work his entire life and never lose a finger.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, Delta and Dewalt used to be highly thought of professional quality saws. The ones you see in Home Depot with those names on them are OK, but no where near the quality of the old ones.

Maybe you can score an old Delta?
I think there is a reason the old Deltas go quickly.
I agree if you plan to run it all the time or make your living from it, then older Delta equipment is high sought after.

For hobby work though, I could not justify the additional $1000 for the saw. Instead I took the additional grand and got the 15" sprial head planer with the 3 hp motor. Meets my needs and still had some change left. Even Delta's stuff is made over seas now.

Yep, Delta and Dewalt used to be highly thought of professional quality saws. The ones you see in Home Depot with those names on them are OK, but no where near the quality of the old ones.
Why buy new when used is better? Or is it unobtainium at this point?

I know that ~10-15 years ago when my Dad finally retired and sold off his big tools, he had people from all over coming to buy it. In fact, I think he used a broker of some sort.

For hobby work though, I could not justify the additional $1000 for the saw.
At the same time, it doesn't make a whole lotta sense for a hobby motorcycle rider to use a $13k tool (FJR) to carve up the road either... ;)

Who says hobbies have to make sense? Sometimes, just owning and looking at a very fine tool is part of the hobby.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why buy new when used is better? Or is it unobtainium at this point?

Yep, unobtanium is correct. I did try to find a used unisaw, but the only ones available were junk. But they wanted almost as much as a new one. I couldn't wait long enough to find a good one as I had to get set up for building my house.

I haven't looked at new saws in a LONG time. I can say that when the time comes for a new one in the shop, it's going to be a SawStop saw. That was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. Totally worth the piece of mind I think.

I haven't looked at new saws in a LONG time. I can say that when the time comes for a new one in the shop, it's going to be a SawStop saw. That was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. Totally worth the piece of mind I think.

Why? does the fuker cut out arrest warrants??

Stick to what ya know armored dildo Boy... Bestiality Websites.

:fuck:

:jester:

Saws? Find an old Three phase Delta man.. They be the shit!!!!!

I know opinions are tough to get here, but would like some about a table saw.
I am a competent woodworker - have made bookcases, table or two, etc. I bought a cheap-ass foreign table saw 10 years ago knowing it was a cheap-ass table saw and it has proven itself over the years. I need to get a "decent" table saw.

I would like a;

- Cabinet vice contractor saw -- I don't need to move it around

- Want a 4" connection for dust collection

- Decent motor - pully not direct drive I don't think I "need" a 3 Hp, but would like at least 1.75

- Prefer cast iron extensions to stamped steel

- That's about it, a basic, decent saw

I've looked at (internet, not physically) a couple of the usual suspects (DeWalt, Delta, Hitatchi, Jet, Grizzley) and at least one I've never heard of - Steel City. I've read some pretty decent reviews of the Steel City saw which costs ~$900. They have one with a granite top and riving slot for another 150 or so.

I would welcome thoughts, comments, recommendation, and your experiences with a particular saw.

Thanks!

SF,

Jim
I have a Delta contractor's saw. I've had it for several years and never had a problem with it. Now, it sounds like what you are after is a hybrid saw. That' a cabinet saw, but it's not as big as a full size saw. Delta and Jet are both great options for what you are looking for.

https://www.deltaportercable.com/Products/P...roductID=11152#

https://woodworking.jettools.com/Products.a...&cat=333603

Rick

Search Crazedlist within driving distance and be patient. You can find a nice Delta Unisaw, Rockwell, or a Powermatic for around $600 to $800. I would avoid the 3 phase, but that can be overcome with a motor change or an inexpensive digital phase converter. Still, stick to the single phase if at all possible.

There are some screaming deals in this market right now.

Thanks to all for your thoughts. I went down to the Richmond Woodcraft store yesterday and looked at the Steel City saw. One thing that was another point in the plus column - the salesman there said that some engineers from Delta left Delta to start Steel City. It does have some nice features and I'm going to go ahead and pick one up. While there yesterday we did pick up a 1hp dust collection system - Steel City. I put it together last night and it is "decent."

I'll let you know how the table saw works out and thanks again for everyone's comments.

Jim