TBS Sync Plan - What do you think? Should I make any changes?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where do those four restricters go? I also have a clear hose, around 5 inches.

Do I need to use that clear hose?

That short section of clear hose IS the restrictors. You need to cut that into 4 equal lengths to make them. You should have received a little instruction pamphlet with your carbtune. I know... real men don't read the instructions, right? :p

In that pamphlet, on page 4 of 10 (of the massive tome), they tell you to cut the clear hose in 4, and then cut each of the four black vacuum hoses about 10 cm from the engine end and insert those restrictors into the hose. Why they do not just do that for you is a mystery. :huh:

This will make all the difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got it to work. I forgot to use the clear hose, by cutting it into four. I will sync up my TBS in couple hours.

That short section of clear hose IS the restrictors. You need to cut that into 4 equal lengths to make them. You should have received a little instruction pamphlet with your carbtune. I know... real men don't read the instructions, right? :p

In that pamphlet, on page 4 of 10 (of the massive tome), they tell you to cut the clear hose in 4, and then cut each of the four black vacuum hoses about 10 cm from the engine end and insert those restrictors into the hose. Why they do not just do that for you is a mystery. :huh:

The whole process was very easy, you just have to go slow and ensure that you make small incremental adjustment. I also installed new plugs while I was there.

Got it to work. I forgot to use the clear hose, by cutting it into four. I will sync up my TBS in couple hours.

Well, I think I have my TBS Synced, but I wish those measurement things, didn't go Up and Down so fast. I wish they would just sit statically, not jumping around. Is that normal for the 4 values on the actual TBS unit jump around so much?
Yeah, pretty much. There is always a little jiggling up and down especially at low rpms.

Did you put the 4 little restrictors in line in the four vacuum hoses? That helps dampen the bouncing somewhat.

Here's a video showing the normal amount of variations

I've never done this on my FJR (2010 Canadian model). Can this be done by removing the gas tank completely or does the the tank electrics have to be plugged in for the engine to start? With other machines, I was able to bottle feed the fuel intake and not have to use the tank at all during the procedure (kept it protected and out of the way).

Thanks for any advice.

"or does the the tank electrics have to be plugged in for the engine to start?"

Yes, the fuel pump is in the tank, it's fuel injected not gravity fed.

Good advice here. I definitely agree to take the caps off before warming up. The biggest PITA of this whole procedure is getting those little clips on and off without them flying across the room. My advice is to tie a piece of fishing line around the clips before ever removing them. My second TBS went much smoother without chasing them. On the other hand, I now have a cool telescoping magnetic pickup tool thanks to the first TBS.

I went a bit unauthorized on my second and third TBS. I set the throttle lock to ~2500 rpms (split the difference between cruising rpm and idle) and adjusted to even there. I checked again at idle afterward and only 1 was off, but still well within spec. I can't say I noticed any performance difference positive or negative.

Good advice here. I definitely agree to take the caps off before warming up. The biggest PITA of this whole procedure is getting those little clips on and off without them flying across the room. My advice is to tie a piece of fishing line around the clips before ever removing them. My second TBS went much smoother without chasing them. On the other hand, I now have a cool telescoping magnetic pickup tool thanks to the first TBS.

I went a bit unauthorized on my second and third TBS. I set the throttle lock to ~2500 rpms (split the difference between cruising rpm and idle) and adjusted to even there. I checked again at idle afterward and only 1 was off, but still well within spec. I can't say I noticed any performance difference positive or negative.
I took this a step further, and left the little buggers in the spare parts bin. Been running fine without them for around 18k.

Latest posts