Tech Day XI: 10/10/2015

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry my brother and I were unable to do, at least, a quick stop. We were farther away than we had planned on Saturday and ended up arriving an hour later than planned at my brothers house to surprise him for his birthday. We made it to Evansville Friday to tour LST-325. I have pictures that I will post in a separate report.

Looks like a relatively good time was had by all! I'm sure that Sasquatch sighting will make the Enquirer soon.
biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry my brother and I were unable to do, at least, a quick stop. We were farther away than we had planned on Saturday and ended up arriving an hour later than planned at my brothers house to surprise him for his birthday. We made it to Evansville Friday to tour LST-325. I have pictures that I will post in a separate report.
Oh thank gawd you didn't make it...... I was putting my 24 mm wrench and socket in secret hiding spots so you wouldn't find them........... I'm sure you enjoyed your trip and looking forward to the pictures.

nice pictures and commentary, Bill!!

it was nice to visit with everyone and tinker on bikes.

thanks for the wonderful hospitality Susie and Andy!

cool shots from the wildlife camera! looks like I parked in the right spot- a few feet farther back and it would have ruined the view!

Thanks to Ray for rebuilding my forks and showing me how quickly the gen 2 bushings wear out. The gen 1 bushings last so much longer. LOL
I guess we put that issue to bed.... both bikes had about the same mileage 25-30K on the forks, the Gen 1 lower bushings were clearly lacking all the teflon in places, while the Gen II had similar wear pattern, just less wear. I would say it all has to do with a number of variables and how aggressive you ride, one up, two up, etc., but it looks like 25-30K is about time to change the bushings out.

Similarly, the upper bushings on both were looking rather newish, and one could re-use them. The Gen II middle bushings were also in excellent shape, one damaged teflon on removal. I'm building a collection.......

And for something new and different, when attempting to remove the stubborn upper bushing and seal on the Gen I, the fork tube and lower bushing came out right through them.

Got home and catching up on my to do list, which included a front wheel bearing swap today. Thanks to Geek and Sooze for putting up with us, amd feeding us. For the record, no bookcases were harmed during the hosting of this event.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I missed this Andy just found out about it... :( .......I need to stay off Facebook :( .......

This was my first tech day and first FJR event of any type, and I didn't know what to expect. ( Well, I did expect that if Canadians showed up- it would not be a dry event . . . )

Tech Day XI was a great experience and I really appreciate the wiring help on my bike, the setting was very nice, and the hosts - Susan and Andy just couldn't have been any better !

Everyone that came was interesting to talk with and the level of technical expertise was impressive.

One thing that really caught my attention was the idea of being in a group where 100% of the people think that owning one or more motorcycles and actually doing long distance touring on a motorcycle is a perfectly normal and desirable thing to do. Most of the people I encounter in day-to-day activities think that having a motorcycle is weird and irresponsible- and I doubt that I am alone in that. You know how it is when you show up at Thanksgiving dinner and you are "the one that rides a motorcycle" . . . . or the only guy in the office . . . .

Anyway, Bill and Ray were very generous with time and advice, and Susan and Andy were very gracious and accommodating hosts - and let's hope they are willing to do it again when they recover !