• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Testing the waters to see if it's worth it.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papaseven

Reaction score
I have a 2007 FJR1300AE and I can no longer ride it due to a shoulder surgery that went wrong.

I'm thinking about parting it out as the economy is so bad that selling it will be a loss to me.

This bike is like new with 1400 miles on it and I bought it last December as a new leftover on the showroom floor. It has had the first service and was put on Mobil 1 with a factory filter.

I have the bags and the right one has a small repairable scratch in it that occurred during shipping. Other than that it is like new. I do not have a trunk.

It has been kept in a heated garage and has never had a rain drop on it.

I start it and bring it up to full temp once a month and run it thru the gears. Tires are the Metzlers

Let me know if anybody is interested in anything and I will compile a list over the next month. If it looks like it will be feasible to part it out I will then contact the interested parties in the order I receive the emails.

Thanks

Gene

[email protected]

I think it's a stupid idea if the bike is in the condition you say. You will sell some stuff but once you sell something the rest of if just lost a ton of value. you will lose money on your time and at the end you will give shit away just so you have to deal with it ;) .

+1 on what FJRay said.

How much money do you NEED out of the bike...not how much do you WANT?

Kelly Blue book value on an '07 is $8500. If that's not enough to get what you need to get for your bike, then you need to re-assess your needs.

It will take you quite a while to get $8500 out of the bike in pieces and as FJRay stated, the more you take off the bike, the less the rest is worth.

You should aggressively advertise the bike for sale on eBay, Craig's List, Cycletrader.com, Motorcycleshopper.com and forum sites like here.

I think you're on a wild goose chase to consider breaking the bike up into parts.

I agree with RadioHowie, if you try to part it out you will be tripping over and cussing at it for 10 years or more. Just sell it and be firm on the price. Good luck to you.

+1 on what FJRay said.

How much money do you NEED out of the bike...not how much do you WANT?

Kelly Blue book value on an '07 is $8500. If that's not enough to get what you need to get for your bike, then you need to re-assess your needs.

It will take you quite a while to get $8500 out of the bike in pieces and as FJRay stated, the more you take off the bike, the less the rest is worth.

You should aggressively advertise the bike for sale on eBay, Craig's List, Cycletrader.com, Motorcycleshopper.com and forum sites like here.

I think you're on a wild goose chase to consider breaking the bike up into parts.

Last edited by a moderator:
It appears time is on your side. A search on Search Tempest which can look at every Craigslist listing nationally suggests that the values quoted by Radio Howie** are right on the money, and from what I can see, your bike has lower miles. Spring will be your best time to sell, and I would recommend starting to list the bike in March, although there are relatively few on the market at this time of year, values tend to be lowest from November to February, and the bottom feeders are out looking for people who HAVE to sell and are willing to take what they can get. Don't let that discourage you.

It would be a shame to part out the bike. It's a lot of work, and the way to make money on parting out a bike is to buy one cheap that had a mechanical breakdown. HYCLE is currently selling out JB's 2005, and it looks like a lot of work to me. If you want to estimate what the potential return is, figure on 50% of the retail value of parts for parting out, and a lot of time. As far as running the bike, my suggestion would be to fog the cylinders, stabilize the fuel, remove the battery and put it in storage. Running the bike up to temperature and taking it through the gears while on a stand is not doing it any good.

Finally, since you aren't riding due to a SHOULDER injury, wrenching, lifting, packing and hauling might not be the best fit for you.

**once again RH fails to stir the Gen I vs Gen II pot. :p

Way too much work, but if you've got nothing better to do than take it apart carefully, catalog, take photos, store shit so you can find it, place multiple adds for things. Deal with packaging, and shipping and in some cases the asshole's that want to buy your stuff who bitch about price and condition no matter what then...

Sure go ahead.

We parted out a 2003 RT that got wadded up in South Dakota. We did end up 'making money' but not if you factor in the time spent. No way.

Selling it even at a modest loss would be way more efficient and economical.

-MD

Like others have stated, parting out a 1400 mile bike is foolish.

It only makes sense to part out a bike a bike that has no value "whole";

i.e.: insurance buy-back, seized engine, collision damaged, etc.

In this case there is no pressure to sell short; patience is a virtue.

Wait until spring, March is usually best. Forums are probably best,

followed by Craigslist. Only consider Ebay as a last resort, bidders already

know your desparate.

And take the advice on storage procedures.

I bought my 07AE last November for $8k with about 5600 miles on it, so the KBB values is dead on. Put it on every frees site (Craigs List) and see, what have you got to lose.

I picked up a 06 AE yesterday with 5900 miles on it in pristine shape for 7900. I searched for several weeks. Not a lot of them were out there in CA. Sell the bike as stated above.

Thanks for the advice but it's getting parted out.

Engine is gone but the rest is available if anybody wants something.

Just pm or email me.

Geno

Thanks for the advice but it's getting parted out.

Engine is gone but the rest is available if anybody wants something.

Just pm or email me.

Geno
Are you taking this apart yourself and parting it out? You doing all the shipping?

What do you hope to make beyond what it would be worth in one piece?