The Bionic Man

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck John, am waiting to see how this is progressing.

Kick ass John. Rehab/PT (when it's time) like someone is trying to steal next summer from you. I worked with a guy who didn't complain much but had problems with both knees from jumping out of perfectly good airplanes. A couple of years later, he pulls up on a new Harley with an ear-to-ear smile. He had both knees replaced and said he felt better than he had in years.

Best of results and speedy recovery. I'll be interested in your opinion since they say I should do it but have been putting it off.

Not everyone "floats" on opiates. When I had the happy button after my neck surgery, I learned it acts like a stimulant to me. I was awake all night and a real chatty Kathy when people stopped to visit.

Nurses use what they call vitamin "A" on patients who are overly chatty and "helpful" when on opioids. Vitamin A is Ativan (Lorazepam) and in combo with an opioid pretty much knocksout even the most lively patients. I was on Vitamin A for three months while in the hospital because I was just too dang "helpful" to the nursing staff; I remember very little of it.

Best of luck, John. Looking forward to updates as you progress.

Last edited by a moderator:
And the wife is tolerating those feet up and doing nothing?? I'm jealous as hell. Outstanding John, they seem to have their shit together on these joint replacements these days.
punk.gif

A lot more pain as the Drug Cocktail they injected wears off but the Tylenol supplemented with 2 Oxycodone every 4 hours is making it tolerable. Alternating Ice every 20 minutes for the swelling which is definitely there. PT becoming more difficult, what was easy peasy yesterday hurts like hell today. I'd rather be riding! Blizzard here for Christmas a foot of snow and sustained 50 mph winds with gusts to 70 was the last prediction for Sunday night and Monday morning.

2 every 4-6 hours with counting the last few minutes means that it's on par with my neck surgery. It wasn't until some time later that I learned how strong 1 oxy was.

Get well soon.

Glad to hear the easy part went well. Once you get that pain under control again, don't make the mistake of thinking you can go without the heavy duty stuff just yet. If your recovery is "typical," it's probably going to be at least several weeks before you can start weaning.

Happy healing!

It took a long time (months) for the swelling to dissipate in my knee to the point that it was the same size as the other. Physical therapy will be painful, the docs recommended that I take pain meds before each session. My range of motion was slow getting back to the where they wanted it and the docs wanted to do a "manipulation" - that involves anesthetizing the patient and forcing the knee through the range of motion desired. Luckily for me, my physical therapist thought he could achieve the same result with therapy and I was able to avoid that procedure. Good luck with your recovery.

It took a long time (months) for the swelling to dissipate in my knee to the point that it was the same size as the other. Physical therapy will be painful, the docs recommended that I take pain meds before each session. My range of motion was slow getting back to the where they wanted it and the docs wanted to do a "manipulation" - that involves anesthetizing the patient and forcing the knee through the range of motion desired. Luckily for me, my physical therapist thought he could achieve the same result with therapy and I was able to avoid that procedure. Good luck with your recovery.
A friend had me take him in for this procedure, He was out, I watched, I do not want to be "Manipulated" not a "Happy Ending" for certain, but it did get his range of motion where it needed to be.

Or do something stupid like jumping up to shoe a cat that starting to cough up a hair ball on the carpet, get your foot tangled in a blanket, and have your knee manipulated for you (with an accompanying loud crack). Know where the pain meds are ahead of time if you choose this route. It feels like going back to square 1 but the recovery to point when it happened is days instead of weeks.

No I don't recommend that. Yes, the Dr. admitted after my final follow-up that he thought I may have undone all his arthroscopic work when I explained what happened.

Oh yeah... stupid cat.

...Or do something stupid like jumping up to shoe a cat that starting to cough up a hair ball on the carpet, get your foot tangled in a blanket, and have your knee manipulated for you (with an accompanying loud crack). Know where the pain meds are ahead of time if you choose this route. It feels like going back to square 1 but the recovery to point when it happened is days instead of weeks.

No I don't recommend that. Yes, the Dr. admitted after my final follow-up that he thought I may have undone all his arthroscopic work when I explained what happened.

Oh yeah... stupid cat.
Yes, but the cat laughed so much that it coughed up the fur ball and so its possible demise was prevented, thus your sacrifice was well worth while.