The Journey begins July 11th

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a romantic! I just wanted to headline beer is GOOD :) (except coors light and budweiser) Sorry, to fresh off the divorce wagon. Definitely, not looking to go down that isle again. I 'MAY' be in the market for a significant other later though ;)

Head is too messed up for that now. Before anyone gets too interested, I have a 13 year old son (just throwing it out there).

Marry me!
(what the heck, it worked great for herfjr and ZOOMMM)

I have Pinot. And beer.

;)

Last edited by a moderator:
As you can see, you are living the dream many of wish we could. Post as much as you can and enjoy yourself. AND STAY SAFE. We want to read of your travels. Have fun!

When you're up near Boston, PM and let me know. I could be talked into a tour guide role for a little bit. AGirl enjoyed our hospitality twice last year when she passed through these parts.

A month off motorcycle trip is a long standing dream of mine.. I'm very envious. I know you'll have a great time.

If you can swing it I highly recommend Nova Scotia. I spent a week up there last year riding around with my buddies. It is a great cycle destination. It's a great destination, period.

Don't worry, I'm not that quick to put my manhood on layaway again.

It just caught me off guard to hear of someone near my age that is successful, is taking a dream trip and riding, and would even throw around the words wine AND beer!

That and I just parted ways with my G/F, so I'm a bit flirtatious lately.

I really do have Pinot and beer though.

What a romantic! I just wanted to headline beer is GOOD :) (except coors light and budweiser) Sorry, to fresh off the divorce wagon. Definitely, not looking to go down that isle again. I 'MAY' be in the market for a significant other later though ;) Head is too messed up for that now. Before anyone gets too interested, I have a 13 year old son (just throwing it out there).

Marry me!

I have Pinot. And beer.

;)

I will begin my vacation at 5pm on July 11th and do not intend to return to the cube until 9 am August 11th.THE PLAN is to have as few solid plans as possible. Basically, go northish in the beginning, turn left somewhere in a westward direction until I hit ocean again. Then ride southernly with a stop in Lompoc, CA and turn back toward the Atlantic.

So .... anyone open to an unexpected visitor? Any advice?

There are only three of us on this trip so far - Me, Myself and I :D

My family is insisting on the SPOT thing, but so far I have avoided GPS and maps.

I will 'live' blog as best as I can.

The best times I've ever had was getting lost, and it's amazing what you can find when your lost.

You can even find yourself sometimes.

I have the FJR List, my bike is fully serviced and aerostich is ordered.

So that and a credit card, right?

I love the idea. My ride starts June 29th and ends August third. It starts on a trip to Seattle to visit family for a couple days, then open from there. Only other itinerary stop is NAFO. As with you, nothing specific, but I think I'll visit National Parks to see America. Been thinking of this for 30 years. Though I'm taking maps, I won't always be looking at them. One other stop is in Minn. to get fitted for a stitch (in next year's budget). I like your style!

IN the Seattle/Tacoma area you are welcome to stop in we have plenty of room. Marissa and I will be on our own ride from July 20-27, but other than that we should be around. Got a bioke lift, so you can change oil here if need be or put a new tire on if you get enough miles on by the time you reach here.

PM for address and phone number.

Enjoy your ride! :yahoo:

A whole month?... savor that. If, at the end of day 1, you need a place to crash and a meal... lemme know. I have a place on Smith Lake in North Alabama that may be a logical 1st day stopping point. PM me for the location. You lucky dog.

Fun you will have. May The Force be with you.

See you in Golden, we will....

yoda.jpg

FJR Chick,

Sounds like the perfect trip. Just head out and see what it brings. Couldn't be more pure and satisfying. My kind of trip. :yahoo: Enjoy and stay safe.

RR

I will begin my vacation at 5pm on July 11th and do not intend to return to the cube until 9 am August 11th.THE PLAN is to have as few solid plans as possible. Basically, go northish in the beginning, turn left somewhere in a westward direction until I hit ocean again. Then ride southernly with a stop in Lompoc, CA and turn back toward the Atlantic.

So .... anyone open to an unexpected visitor? Any advice?

There are only three of us on this trip so far - Me, Myself and I :D

My family is insisting on the SPOT thing, but so far I have avoided GPS and maps.

I will 'live' blog as best as I can.

The best times I've ever had was getting lost, and it's amazing what you can find when your lost.

You can even find yourself sometimes.

I have the FJR List, my bike is fully serviced and aerostich is ordered.

So that and a credit card, right?

Thanks, people sure have a hard time with the concept though.

I think my mom and a few friends are going to need some calming drugs.

FJR Chick,
Sounds like the perfect trip. Just head out and see what it brings. Couldn't be more pure and satisfying. My kind of trip. :yahoo: Enjoy and stay safe.

RR

Don't worry, I'm not that quick to put my manhood on layaway again.It just caught me off guard to hear of someone near my age that is successful, is taking a dream trip and riding, and would even throw around the words wine AND beer!

That and I just parted ways with my G/F, so I'm a bit flirtatious lately.

I really do have Pinot and beer though.

What a romantic! I just wanted to headline beer is GOOD :) (except coors light and budweiser) Sorry, to fresh off the divorce wagon. Definitely, not looking to go down that isle again. I 'MAY' be in the market for a significant other later though ;) Head is too messed up for that now. Before anyone gets too interested, I have a 13 year old son (just throwing it out there).

Marry me!

I have Pinot. And beer.

;)

:jerry: Let me off, I think I'm gonna throw up! Have a great ride.

When you get out to the PNW and CA, check our ride planning areas for who is out there and PM us. A couple days notice or something over a weekend and we might be able to guide you along some of our favorite "off the beaten path" roads and hook you up with some home made food....or at least take you to a good place for some excellent "vittles".
As others have said....stay in touch....and have a great time! :yahoo:
+1 for Oregon and North Cal.

Don't know if your going thru Nashville or not , but I have an extra bed and plenty of wine and beer in the cooler . Just PM me and let me tell my wife that we will have another FJR owner passing thru. That trip sure does sound like lots of fun. Be safe and enjoy . :rolleyes:

Several Rambling Thoughts:

I planned a six week ride last summer, CA to NC to NY to ID and back to CA, last half of May through the last week of June. But I 'burned out' the end of the fifth week. I say burned out because the air temperatures all across the Eastern US fried me on my 2005 FJR. After a particularly hot week going West on or about I90, and then a HELL day in Yellowstone, I 'had it' and ran south on I15 shortcutting the last week in Idaho at the end of the trip. (Wuz there in 2002 on my ST1100)

Remember, in the east there aren't 10000 ft mountains to run up and cool off in the summer...

You're planning this in four weeks. That means a lot of slab. I don't know your preferences, but I feel you're being overly ambitious. I rode 250-500 mi per day, only taking breaks every 4th or 5th day and ate up 5 weeks no problem. But I was in slab-avoidance-mode most the time.

IMO, Stay out of Yellowstone during the summer prime-time tourist season... It was one day, but it seemed a never-ending series of morons in cages stopping traffic to take pictures of a single mangy coyote :angry: , foul smelling buses :sick: , and a total lack of sightseeing because I couldn't take my eyes off the ten cars and buses in front of me!!! And burnt out forests :dead: aren't cool despite all the eco-spin they put on it. And lets not forget the 7 miles of *ucke* up dirt road construction on the east side of the park with no warning signs till you enter the park...

Go to Colorado instead! IMO, The Best SUMMER riding in all of the lower 48. I spent 5 days there and just scratched the surface.

MJD

not to be "rude" but WTF is in LOMPTON (lompoc) to see? besides hitting up Jamala beach for a Jamala burger there is not much. BTW don't got to the Jamala restaurant on HWY1/ Ocean ave. its not as good and you miss all the twisty roads getting there. other than seeing family in lompoc, i would go to the casio near Santa Yenz, if your lucky to showup on the right day, it could be unlimited Sea food (hell they give you $20 for your first time going there, which can cover the cost of the lunch!)

Latest posts