The "No Screen" experiment

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TruWrecks

Still chewing thru the Restraints
Reaction score
Nothing scientific here. Just good old seat of the pants results.

I have an Arai RX-7 helmet that's been one of the noisiest helmets I've ever ridden with. I have also tries with an HJC helmet that I use for Auto-xing. I have tried every position with the stock screen. I'm 5'9" with a 32" inseam, so I'm not the tallest in the saddle. I have also tried using a screen under the chin of the RX-7. Nothing has really helped. It's so bad I can't stand to ride on the freeway without earplugs.

Last week I was on a ride with a few friends when I made a very pleasant discovery. I stood up on the bike to stretch. I was going about 60 MPH when I did it. It was dead quiet. I could hear the wind, but it was extremely quiet. I sat back down and the noise came right back. When I got home I pulled the screen off and went for a ride on the freeway. I could hear all the cars around me, and I could clearly hear the bike. What a sweet sound it was. :dribble:

I haven't tried using spacers yet. I will try it with some temp spacers in the bottom screen mount this week.

With the current information I may be getting a new touring windshield, and chopping and tinting the stock windshield. I know it will make me more prone to bug strikes, but they should hit with less force because they won't be accelerating with the air going over the screen.

I originally posted this on June 15th but you can find many references to this phenomenonnd in the searches.

I have the problem with the stock shield UP. Can't quite get out of the compressed turbulent airstream. Put the shield DOWN and sat up straight to get OVER it - much better. I also had to switch from my 3/4 HJC to a Shoei RF1000 and -32db Earplugs to quite everything down. Some have even cut 2" off. The point is you sound like you are still in the stream. You gotta get under it or over it for stability. For reference I am 6' w/30" inseam so I sit high.
You might try getting low with the shield up, then try it down. The cone of silence. I prefer, since I generally travel at 75 - 85, to use the down screen position and ride up. This is more stable on the genII with the larger screens. Larger aftermarket screens are even less stable. Autobahn riders use a padded tank bag to lean on and many have lower bars. I think they still have the shorter screens and they defineately are in the down position. Always use a good (quiet) tight fitting helmet and ear plugs.

The only way I can get the "Cone of silence" effect is to lay on the tank. It's unacceptable to drastically change my riding position for daily riding. I would certainly do it if I want to go triple digit speeds on any sport bike. No matter how I sit the wind noise is not enjoyable, even though the bike is. The helmet is the proper size. That's evident by being so quiet in the clean air stream. For me the stock screen just doesn't work well. Today I'm going to try the spacers to see if that helps.

Latest posts