The original FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rideon67

Reaction score
OK Mr FJR, Who's your daddy? This guy, the 1978 XS11. After getting a few messages about this bike I decided to figure out how to post pics.

When I bought it new in 1978 this was the bomb. The first inline 4, shaft drive, sport touring bike. It was way less than 3 grand. Near 100hp, with 4 mikuni carbs, 5spd and the right throttle twister, It would outrun anything stock on the street and with the fairing became a "fairly comfy" touring machine. With 2 up and the fairing I always have and still get 45+mpg on the hwy. It has a little under 60K miles and has been rock steady dependable since new. Hence my leaning to the FJR. I've done all the work needed to keep it on the road (except the one valve job) and the amount of upkeep is very miniscule. The only real performance upgrade it ever needed was a fork brace. The twisties - especially the ones with rain grooves were pretty ugly, but the brace straightened that out. A small and simple addition. The machine was amazingly well thought out and executed.

My new 09 FJR (after 400 miles) has not fallen far from the tree. It's the first new bike I've ridden since buying the XS11 and very much refined, but still very familiar. Seeing The two of them sitting in the garage side by side make me smile and think of my dad. I hope the FJR and I can be half as good as time goes by.

https://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac61/ri...67/IMG_0689.jpg

https://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac61/ri...67/IMG_0686.jpg

https://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac61/ri...67/IMG_0682.jpg

https://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac61/ri...67/IMG_0678.jpg

https://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac61/ri...67/IMG_0677.jpg

IMG_0689.jpg

IMG_0686.jpg

IMG_0682.jpg

IMG_0678.jpg

IMG_0677.jpg

You're welcome. :D

Don't know how you did that but thanks.
By adding "image" tags before and after each URL you posted, as in

after each URL.

Click "Reply" to Ionbeam's post and you'll see where the "image" tags go to properly display.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know how you did that but thanks.
By adding "image" tags before and after each URL you posted, as in

after each URL.

Click "Reply" to Ionbeam's post and you'll see where the "image" tags go to properly display.
rideon67: Radio "Manatee Molester" Howie is correct with the image tags, it is so easy a Caveman and Papa Chuy can do it. Actually, the Caveman did it long before Papa Viejo did it!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would suggest that the bloodline goes as follows:

The XS is the Great Grandaddy of the FJR.

The FJ's were the Grandaddy, and the GTS was the Daddy.

I used to love the wheelies you could get out of the XS's. It would stand up and leap forward.

I had a couple of GTS' over the years with the 48ltr Krauser bags, that were ugly but oh so practical. I would still have a GTS but for the lack of parts and aftermarket support.

I would suggest that the bloodline goes as follows: The XS is the Great Grandaddy of the FJR.

The FJ's were the Grandaddy, and the GTS was the Daddy.

I used to love the wheelies you could get out of the XS's. It would stand up and leap forward.

I had a couple of GTS' over the years with the 48ltr Krauser bags, that were ugly but oh so practical. I would still have a GTS but for the lack of parts and aftermarket support.
Many XSives still riding them in your area & Vancouver. The guys who need to repair them have been "creative" in finding parts or suitable replacements

that windshield is remarkable. Are you 6'7" tall or something?
It's an extra tall, but can't remember where I got it. I'm 6-2 (at least I was when I bought it) and look thru, not over it. It's so quiet behind there you can almost hear the plugs spark............. Wife loves it and the backrrest.

Yep. This is the bike I bought new in '78, except mine had the Yamaha touring fairing, a lower backrest, and saddle bags and top box my Samsonite. You've kept it in amazing condition! :thumbsup:

At the time I bought it I didn't know Yama made the touring package. Added the fairing & rack a few years later. The XS replaced a Kawa H2 stoplight rocket and I was a kid bent on going fast, not far. Used to race a guy on a Honda 6 cyl at ridiculous speeds looking thru the gap between the speedo and tach. Don't know how we stayed alive. Something about drunks and fools I expect.

You have kept her in great condition. As we former owners know, she was not only fast but comfortable. Did anyone have a brown looking one? Mine was wine color, but it appeared to be more brown then red. Sure was a sweet bike! :yahoo:

Yep..., like Nightshine says, many of us came from that ownership experience.
Corningtrip003.jpg

Some os us have passed the adventure on to others and let talented people, like Silent, take it to it's new level.

An XS Odyssey and props to MadMike! Have you ever wondered why he's "Mad"?
Thanks for taking up my entire evening....... Good thing I had nothing else to do cause reading all that was really fun and whatever else would have had to wait. I've been on & off the XS forum for many years & prolly wouldn't be running mine now if not for them. Your approach and skills both do you credit and the final product is beautimus.

Took the XS for a short 75 this eve. FJR is more fun, but then again, XS is more fun.