The Saga Begins

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks all - I cannot wait! I have the VIN and have been running insurance quotes today.

When I first started looking a couple months back, there were several new 2011 and 2012 models on cycletrader. As long as I was buying new, I figured I'd at least narrow it down to the ones with std heated grips. I wanted the wife to feel included in this decision, so asked which color she liked better. At the time, I could make arguments for either color, but she liked the blue better. Then naturally, I narrowed the search window down even further to only include 2012 models.

Today happens to be frame slider ordering day. I'm looking at the OES, but having difficulty deciding between the regular and the extended style. A couple searches seem to indicate that most recently, folks have been ordering the extended OES sliders. I want protection but I don't want it to look out of place, sticking out the side too much. Have there been any regrets going with the longer sliders?

I went with the standard size on my FJR, I think they look really good and blend in with the bike really well, but that is just my opinion.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the purchase.

nice choice of bike...

don't bother with the YES. The percentage of riders on this forum who have paid that money and then never used a penny of it is very high.

It's just like most extended warranties - not needed.

nice choice of bike...

don't bother with the YES. The percentage of riders on this forum who have paid that money and then never used a penny of it is very high.

It's just like most extended warranties - not needed.
While I would not agree that YES is a waste, it does seem a few have not needed it. However for the 389.00 it is great piece of mind and at that price is well worth the investment.

If you used it once in bum _uck Egypt it will and would be worth it.

I hope to never need it but with OEM part prices, and shop labor it will not take long to run up a 389.00 bill, especially on the road where your favorite stealer is 2000 mile away, and the shop you are standing in knows you need him way more than he needs you.

I bought the YES from D&H and have used it a couple times for little stuff. It more than paid for itself. Remember that you can buy it any time before the initial one year warranty expires. I bought mine 11 months after buying the bike.

I bought the YES from D&H and have used it a couple times for little stuff. It more than paid for itself. Remember that you can buy it any time before the initial one year warranty expires. I bought mine 11 months after buying the bike.
I will more than likely end up purchasing one for peace of mind. If the dealer will match the D&H price, I'll buy it when I pick up the bike. Otherwise, I do like the option of being able to purchase it at a known price elsewhere. Plus, it takes any and all sales pressure away when it gets to the point where they try to sell you all the 'extras'.

Today happens to be frame slider ordering day. I'm looking at the OES, but having difficulty deciding between the regular and the extended style. A couple searches seem to indicate that most recently, folks have been ordering the extended OES sliders. I want protection but I don't want it to look out of place, sticking out the side too much. Have there been any regrets going with the longer sliders?
I bought these and they look really nice. Have had several compliments on them.

https://www.motovationusa.com/mvstore/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=180

Congrats on the new bike. Picked mine up 1.5 months back and love it. Moved from a fully dressed out 2007 Roadliner.

I put the extended ones on my '09 and can barely tell the difference between them and the standard length ones they replace. Haven't had the opportunity to test them yet but I think they will provide a little more clearance from the ground in a low speed tip over. I don't think any of the sliders will do much good if you are moving much faster than 25 - 30MPH. Lots of insurance helps. GEICO had the best rates of all the companies I got quotes from.

Brobee you will enjoy your choice! You have alot more experience than I had when I bought my 2008 new in Aug of 2008. I was only into my second season of riding about (19000Km) when I took the FJR out for a test ride at one of Yamaha's Demo Days. My learner bike was an FZ6. I said if I didn't drop it leaving the parking lot I should be ok. I didn't, and have been enjoying and growing into it for 50,000 Km now with no problems. I also considered the ST and Concours but the FJR just feels like a big brother to the FZ.

My wife and I just finished a 5000 km trip ~ she is quite comfy. Recomend a top box (or backrest) for her.

Yes is like insurance(well it is) U hate payin for it untill U need it. U won't be sorry with this bike. Fairly new rider, just did my 1st SWFOG rallly. Meet some great ppl and we did some great riding. Like I said new rider but was able to flick thru Monarch Pass CO leaving harleys in my wake. It's an awesome machine!! :yahoo:

What a smart guy and what a great choice in bikes. You will not regret it...only that you don't have enough time to spend on it.

And, as for the color....well...it is so good, that they brought it back around! I just over heard a group standing by my bike saying "yeah, that is the color I love the most". or something like that. My friend with a 2005 said that was only because HIS blue was not parked next to mine.

Enjoy your new ride. You can go as far as you want! Beware speed traps.....

And check out the CFO in LaCrosse in September. You can ride there easily. Look in the regional rides section.

mr.paul, from Minnesota

And my first farkle has arrived! The ones that so many recommend that you do before anything else are sitting on a shelf in the garage in anticipation of the FJR coming home. Yes, the OES frame sliders are here and already starting to get lonely.

Shhh...there there now. It will be here before you know it.

You haven't got it yet??? :rolleyes:

Ha, you should have been around in the early days when folks waited months to get their Feejeer :lol: :lol:

It really sucked. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Brobee, what part of Michigan are you from? I'm in Freeland and don't see many FJR's in this neighborhood. Maybe we could round up some riders.