The Saga Begins

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the story so far :) can't wait to read the reaction when the bike finally arrives :lol:

Congrats on the purchase Brobee. The wait's not too long ..... I waited 5 months for mine back in 2002, like many here, purchased "sight unseen" and haven't regretted a day of ownership :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Brobee, what part of Michigan are you from? I'm in Freeland and don't see many FJR's in this neighborhood. Maybe we could round up some riders.
I'm in SW Michigan. Just a little south of the Kalamazoo area.

You kids keep your eyes peeled for the Tech day llll or is it 4? announcement this fall.. ;)

Hey - look at all these Michiganders :)

Tech Day sounds like a great idea (did a forum search). I'm not very mechanically savvy, but I could bring some of my almost world famous home brew to contribute to the event.

Don't forget the sales tax on the warranty. In many states a warranty is taxable for sales tax. That amounts to $30 or so. Hard to beat D&H's price of $389. And it is the same warranty no matter where you buy it.

Also check out progressive insurance online. Takes about 15 minutes. I have 3 bikes, so hard to tell how you will fare, but Progessive's numbers on the fjr alone beat the next best by 40%. Comparable insurance from Foremost AARP (which I thought was reasonably well priced) for all 3 bikes was about $250-$300 more for the identical 12 month policy than with Progressive.

Don't forget the sales tax on the warranty. In many states a warranty is taxable for sales tax. That amounts to $30 or so. Hard to beat D&H's price of $389. And it is the same warranty no matter where you buy it.

Also check out progressive insurance online. Takes about 15 minutes. I have 3 bikes, so hard to tell how you will fare, but Progessive's numbers on the fjr alone beat the next best by 40%. Comparable insurance from Foremost AARP (which I thought was reasonably well priced) for all 3 bikes was about $250-$300 more for the identical 12 month policy than with Progressive.
Good point on the D&H tax-free option. And I do have a quote saved and ready to go with Progressive right now. They were a pain in the ass to deal with on the claim for my previous bike, but they are MUCH cheaper than the next closest option.

nice choice of bike...

don't bother with the YES. The percentage of riders on this forum who have paid that money and then never used a penny of it is very high.

It's just like most extended warranties - not needed.
While I would not agree that YES is a waste, it does seem a few have not needed it. However for the 389.00 it is great piece of mind and at that price is well worth the investment.

If you used it once in bum _uck Egypt it will and would be worth it.

I hope to never need it but with OEM part prices, and shop labor it will not take long to run up a 389.00 bill, especially on the road where your favorite stealer is 2000 mile away, and the shop you are standing in knows you need him way more than he needs you.
I agree with getting the YES, for $389 (no tax!) u can't go wrong and It's cheap insurance if something does.

D&H in Cullman, AL

ph: (256) 739-1840

Hey - look at all these Michiganders :)

Tech Day sounds like a great idea (did a forum search). I'm not very mechanically savvy, but I could bring some of my almost world famous home brew to contribute to the event.

Tech weekend brings 'em in from Canada, Ohio, Virgina, Minnesota, Indiana... Work gets done plus a wee bit of drinking.

There will be Punch an Pie at the next one. :p

Welcome and congrats...

Keep in mind that IF you have a tip over, the frame sliders are a must, but if it does go over the 10-20% of the bottom of your side bags will get scratched.... A stick on rubber strip tastefully installed will prevent an issue... Check out Geico for ins to compare...

Area Highlighted in red....

yamaha_fjr_1300_a_2004_2.jpg

Another thing to consider along the insurance line, especially for motorcycle riders is medical evacuation insurance in case of an accident. Especially if you are in some po-dunk place far away from where you have to be evacuated. DAN (divers alert network). You don't have to be a diver, it does not have to be a diving accident. For $35/yr per person, $55/yr for family. Medical evacuation coverage pays for evacuation to the closest appropriate medical facility, up to $100k. See their website for details. My wife and I just bought it. We do alot of worldwide travel, so it is nice for travelers too.

We were down in Roatan and bumped into a couple who have been traveling the world on their catamaran for the past five years and somehow got to talking about insurance and they told us about DAN.

Good point on the D&H tax-free option. And I do have a quote saved and ready to go with Progressive right now. They were a pain in the ass to deal with on the claim for my previous bike, but they are MUCH cheaper than the next closest option.
Which is why we use State Farm. I know I pay a little more than some Progressive quotes, but not much more because I have checked. For the extra money, I get phenomenal service and our coverage rocks...Unlike any piece of shit Progressive policy ever sold. It amazes me that people would put up with that kind of crap for a few bucks a month. Both Progressive and Geico can suck it.

Eat a bowl pf cox ya dillo fuk.. Ain't all of us old an retired like u an beemerdons.

Plus I resent yer limp dik ass derailing this thread.. It's been twisted towards fall tech weekend 4 so lets try and keep it on track gumby pecker.

Eat a bowl pf cox ya dillo fuk.. Ain't all of us old an retired like u an beemerdons.
^^^^^Just for clarification you senile fuck; YOU'RE OLD ENOUGH TO BE MY DAD!!!
AN yet you still insist on me sending nudes of me an yer mom doing the nasty.. Might wanna seek some counseling kid.

:fuck:

Well, it's down to one more work day before picking up the new bike on Friday. Cashiers check in hand, insurance locked in, and ready to go! Tomorrow is going to be a long day :(

I'm running out of things to think of or do in preparation for the big day. Maybe I'll go charge up the battery pack for the good camera...

Damn, you make us impulse buyers look bad! how does a dealer not have inventory? If you're ever out this way, let me show you how to buy off-the-floor for

$500 over dealer cost.

Damn, you make us impulse buyers look bad! how does a dealer not have inventory? If you're ever out this way, let me show you how to buy off-the-floor for

$500 over dealer cost.
Part of the reason was that I wanted to make sure my leg was going to mend properly. I just started walking again on Monday, so the bike will be trailered back to my house tomorrow. I know I probably could have gotten a better deal, but I liked how this dealer answered my questions and still ended up getting a 2012 zero mile FJR for less than 13k + tax.

Congrats on the new ride!

Definitely keep an eye out over in the Midwest regionals area. Once I get together with Bust and a couple of the other guys, we'll set a date for Tech Day V (or, Tech Day 5, for those who don't habla Roman numerals) in Owosso.

I think for my bike I'm gonna try to figure out where all the wires go that are attached to my battery. A fella that lives down the road from me wants to do a valve check on his bike.