The Saga Begins

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it's down to one more work day before picking up the new bike on Friday. Cashiers check in hand, insurance locked in, and ready to go! Tomorrow is going to be a long day :(

I'm running out of things to think of or do in preparation for the big day. Maybe I'll go charge up the battery pack for the good camera...
Well I was dead wrong. I cannot stop thinking (worrying) about getting it home safely on a trailer. The sales dude at the dealershiop says that the Canyon Dancer is the way to go, but some of the things I've read on here make me question that. Especially with the heated grips.

Well, it's down to one more work day before picking up the new bike on Friday. Cashiers check in hand, insurance locked in, and ready to go! Tomorrow is going to be a long day :(

I'm running out of things to think of or do in preparation for the big day. Maybe I'll go charge up the battery pack for the good camera...
Well I was dead wrong. I cannot stop thinking (worrying) about getting it home safely on a trailer. The sales dude at the dealershiop says that the Canyon Dancer is the way to go, but some of the things I've read on here make me question that. Especially with the heated grips.
Get a hold of Wayne (extrememarine) or Jeff (UselessPickles). Have one of 'em meet ya and rider 'er home for ya. I'd offer to help but I'm a ways away.

We used the Canyon Dancer one time. Just one time. We hated it. The handlebars on the FJR will bend downward, don't be there to watch them tie it with that if you can help it.

What I recommend now is to get the soft straps and go up under the fairing to the bottom triple clamp. It is not hard to reach, wrap the soft strap around the triple clamp and hook your tie down straps into that. It is easy to do, is safer, does not mark the grips, bend the bars and is very secure. You can adjust tension against the front fork compression.

We used the Canyon Dancer one time. Just one time. We hated it. The handlebars on the FJR will bend downward, don't be there to watch them tie it with that if you can help it.

What I recommend now is to get the soft straps and go up under the fairing to the bottom triple clamp. It is not hard to reach, wrap the soft strap around the triple clamp and hook your tie down straps into that. It is easy to do, is safer, does not mark the grips, bend the bars and is very secure. You can adjust tension against the front fork compression.
Thanks! That seems to be the consensus here. I have also decided that I'll be transporting the side cases in the back seat for the ride home.

My new 2012 FJR is home, safe and sound :)

I'll post pics later to conclude this chapter, but before that I noticed that the gear indicator is missing a small section of the border just above the lower left corner. Is that normal for the Gen 2s?

Also, at first the bike stalled out after a gentle twist of the throttle (several times), but I gave it a good twist after it warmed up thoroughly and it seems to be better now. Might be another characteristic of not being broken in?

What is the idle speed set at? I think this forum demands 1100 rpms. The idle set screw is not difficult to get to, a quick search on this forum will show pics for the location and the exact rpm to set it.

And here's the pics to prove it...

FJR4.jpg

FJR2.jpg

FJR1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
... but before that I noticed that the gear indicator is missing a small section of the border just above the lower left corner. Is that normal for the Gen 2s?

Never noticed it before, but it is like that on mine.

(Click on image for larger view)

... but before that I noticed that the gear indicator is missing a small section of the border just above the lower left corner. Is that normal for the Gen 2s?

Never noticed it before, but it is like that on mine.

(Click on image for larger view)

Yup - that's exactly what mine looks like. I didn't question the salesman about it because I was thinking of 101 other things. I did a google search and found one other smaller image of what appeared to be like yours and mine, so I was half hoping it was "normal" even though it appears to have a burned out section.

Congrats on your new bike, that blue is a real head turner. Another thing to check out while you have some healing time is the suspension settings. I took 3 years before checking into it and it made a real difference both in ride and tire wear, i should have done it sooner. Have fun feeling it out & putting it through its paces.