These are the Voyages of the SS FJR AE!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shane Stump

Reaction score
Well, I finally picked up my bike today - it has been at the dealers since December 17 when I experienced the "Ignition Switch Failure!"....

Then when I tried to pick the bike up on Monday December 29, I experienced the engine dying and all the lights on the dashboard were lit up (bike must have been in the XMAS mood)! I was about 3 miles from the dealer after picking the bike up when it had to be towed back.

After the dealer installed several things including a new ECM, Yamaha's tech guru implied the problems were cased by electrical add-ons!

Well, as I started this "mission", all of my electrical accessories are completely disabled.

The bike rode back home smoothly (as expected) ... all 120 miles.

Then I noticed the following:

1) The clock / trip odometers always reset after power is off.

2) The windshield doesn't retract - it stays in the last place (I like this but it isn't "normal".

So I called dealer and they are checking into it......

Please stay tune for the continuing Voyages of the SS FJR AE!

Shane

Well, I finally picked up my bike today - it has been at the dealers since December 17 when I experienced the "Ignition Switch Failure!"....
Then when I tried to pick the bike up on Monday December 29, I experienced the engine dying and all the lights on the dashboard were lit up (bike must have been in the XMAS mood)! I was about 3 miles from the dealer after picking the bike up when it had to be towed back.

After the dealer installed several things including a new ECM, Yamaha's tech guru implied the problems were cased by electrical add-ons!

Well, as I started this "mission", all of my electrical accessories are completely disabled.

The bike rode back home smoothly (as expected) ... all 120 miles.

Then I noticed the following:

2) The windshield doesn't retract - it stays in the last place (I like this but it isn't "normal".

Shane
Damn Shane, what a mess. I sure hope it eventually gets worked out..

Shane
I recall a wiring feature on my last two FJR's that kept the clock/trip data alive, and allowed the shield to retract when the key was off (unless unplugged). The bike has a fused enabling circuit that bypasses the key in other words. Don't have a Service Manual any more, but someone here has and probably can offer a suggestion as to where to look for wiring and fuse that may be defective.

Dealer will find it if they pay the employees more than minimum wage.

'09 FJR may be here in a month - can ride by May Yippee!

Gary in Fairbanks

Because of the market, I will be keeping my FJR as I am assuming it will be fixed someday in the very near future.... but I am seriously thinking about purchasing a new GL1800 for my long distance business trips because I cannot afford to break down out in the middle of no where (or anywhere for that matter); That is, I will probably be keeping the FJR only for day trips (or as a friend says: as far as you are willing to have it towed)!

Best Regards,

Shane

but I am seriously thinking about purchasing a new GL1800 for my long distance business trips because I cannot afford to break down out in the middle of no where (or anywhere for that matter)
be sure it's had the cracked frame recall addressed.

and the overheating recall addressed.

and the replacement ECU recall addressed.

All modern, complex bikes seem to have their quirks.

but I am seriously thinking about purchasing a new GL1800 for my long distance business trips because I cannot afford to break down out in the middle of no where (or anywhere for that matter)

I was wondering when I was going to get "bounced" :rolleyes: !

My GL1800 and I use to have never lever me stranded other than a flat tire.

I keep hoping the FJR gets fixed completely and I am hopeful it is getting closer.

Best Regards,

Shane

I keep hoping the FJR gets fixed completely and I am hopeful it is getting closer.

Best Regards,

Shane
Perhaps if you took it to a different dealership for your repairs, you know... maybe one without the "Fun Center" in the name, you'd be able to leave the place with fewer problems than you arrived with?

Best Regards,

Shane
Perhaps if you took it to a different dealership for your repairs, you know... maybe one without the "Fun Center" in the name, you'd be able to leave the place with fewer problems than you arrived with?
Fred,

I have thought of doing that but I am in the middle of the process right now - that is, my bike has been to two different dealerships since the electrical problems started. Once the Yamaha rep got involved, I need to get the bike back to "default" working action which I am assuming (hoping) it almost is.

Yesterday my daughter took a picture of the first "Bluebonnet" we have seen (actually this is very early) and I am hoping the FJR is ready to go in the next couple of weeks for Texas spring!

Oh well, thanks for listening!

Best Regards,

Shane