Thinking about a KLR 650...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys, I can't thank you all enough for the responses. I have read and reread them, and with the pros and cons as delivered by OWNERS and RIDERS I feel more equipped to start pursuing it farther... and I will. Yes I want reliability over top speed, I'll take a little top heavy over carrying gas or running out, I don't plan on being a mountain goat (I do that when I run, so I get my fix) but I do want to turn off the main roads when I feel like it and ride rail trails and packed/loose roads, all with a couple bags of provisions. I don't want a little snow to slow me down or sand or mud. I just want to ride and explore. If I can pack a couple days worth, ride the canyon/deserts and ride home I believe the 650 is a perfect size. (I believe my Feej will satisfy my need for speed just fine. My new saying is "120, it's the new 55")

As far as mods... I won't be modding anything up, farkling for effect, maybe. But the sprocket-she-come-with is the sprocket she'll wear until it breaks, then maybe upgrade... same with the forks, the seat, the bars, the brakes, etc. If the bike needs all that shit replaced from the get go just to be fun then I'll go buy a B King instead and stay on the street. I want the most cost effective bike that I can ride outta the showroom and into the canyon...

Guess I'm not the expert some of you are, so your advice and info at least make me smarter about what I get. I do want new or newer. I 'll let you know how it goes, and prolly check here before I buy.

Thanks!

Chris

also... great pics! Thanks... I want to go ride in the dirt... tonight... now.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=107221 artistonFJR, blakebird, Shane, Mike P, 9MileCatDaddy and others: I would like to invite you to join me and two others to ride to Real de Catorce in the mountains of northern Mexico.

All of the information is under Southwest here on the forum. We can take seven more riders with us, for a total of ten guys.

Quick recap: Road to Real looks just like video from Shane and the village sits at 9,000' elevation above Ciudad Monterrey.

Chris, If you are looking to buy a brand new off the showroom floor KLR 650 you may want to consider waiting for a 2009 model or waiting to see if Kawasaki comes up with a solution for the oil burning problem on the 2008's. This is a real issue!

Unbelievably, I have been carrying the same quart of oil in my Cortech top bag on the luggage rack of my KLR since it was new. Since my bike has never used oil, the seal is still unbroken. I do change my oil and filters every 2k miles religiously.

If you were to buy a 2007 KLR or older, the only real modification needed is the Doo-Hickey; everything else is just farkling.

If you just have to have a brand new bike this very minute: I would recommend the Honda XR 650L. But where you live and if you are planning to ride Moab (you have to, it's in your backyard!) you will immediately have to buy a much larger tank.

https://www.motorcycle.com/specs/honda/on-o...08/xr/650l.html With a puny 2.8 gal. tank you'll be a coyote's dinner!

Very nicest feature on my 2006 KLR, in my mind, is having that 200-240 mile range; very reassuring riding to Alaska/Yukon.

Beemerdons,

That was just the right thing to say. If the New ones have this "opec problem" then I would have no problem with a one or two/three year old bike. (If I want to polish and caress and gently hump a bike I'll lavish that on the Feej) My reason for wanting newer is mostly to start with a tight ride, not someone's rattletrap that they can't wait to unload. I just don't have the time to rebuild someone else's "surprise"! If I find the right bike from the right person I'd pull the trigger. I don't have to have one today, though ideally that would be nice.

This "doohicky" is a fix that stays fixed, or is it a periodic fix?

The posted pics and videos show pretty much what I want to have available in a bike, the ability to just go...

I'll let you all know what I find and will tap your brains for more info as I need. I'd love to go riding with some of you when i finally get her.

I'm off to look.

C

Beemerdons,
That was just the right thing to say. If the New ones have this "opec problem" then I would have no problem with a one or two/three year old bike. (If I want to polish and caress and gently hump a bike I'll lavish that on the Feej) My reason for wanting newer is mostly to start with a tight ride, not someone's rattletrap that they can't wait to unload. I just don't have the time to rebuild someone else's "surprise"! If I find the right bike from the right person I'd pull the trigger. I don't have to have one today, though ideally that would be nice.

This "doohicky" is a fix that stays fixed, or is it a periodic fix?

The posted pics and videos show pretty much what I want to have available in a bike, the ability to just go...

I'll let you all know what I find and will tap your brains for more info as I need. I'd love to go riding with some of you when i finally get her.

I'm off to look.

C
The DooHickey is a permanent fix to a poorly designed part. Every Doo I've seen done, the stock unit had failed is some fashion. Either the Doo itself was broken or the spring was broken. The Eagle MFG replacement is a one time fix and you can save money by finding someone with the "special" tools to do the job that already has.....like me. I have the Doo tools and no KLR now.

The Doo is a part that needs adjusting from time to time to keep engine vibes down but it is so easy and accessible from outside the motor it isn't funny.

Not all '08's are Opec guzzlers. My friends has yet to burn one drop of oil and he did a moderate break-in while some '08 owners have done extreme 1000-2000 mile break ins that require mild riding.

If you can wait another month or so I would go with a '09. For a little over 5 grand and to have the better ergos and slightly faster machine and the fact of it being brand new with warranty vrs 3 grand or so on a used, maybe nicely farkled out machine.

My '01 had a Corbin flat, heated grips, power outlet, bark busters and tall wind screen when I bought it for 3 grand with 8200 miles on it. 3 months and only $150 extra in the bike I got $3200 trade in when I bought the FJR. $3200 for a '01!!! for 1500 more one could get a new one.

C: Mike P is giving you good advice about waiting for a 2009 to ensure that the "opec problem" (I Like That!) is finally fixed!

I have a Eagle MFG replacement installed in my 2006. Maybe you could work out a tools "rental" with Mike for some beer?

He's also right about the resale value of the KLR's and economy of a new one. My 2006 was purchased out the door for $5K.

The reason I'm asking $3,500 for mine to an AZ FJR Forum Member ONLY, in perfect condition and nitpickingly maintained by yours truly, is because that's the same amount that BMW of Scottsdale will give me as a trade in on my new F800GS. If I could possibly store a 6th motorcycle in my garage and my Jeep Liberty Diesel SUV, I'd keep my KLR; it's been a sweet!

C: Mike P is giving you good advice about waiting for a 2009 to ensure that the "opec problem" (I Like That!) is finally fixed!
I have a Eagle MFG replacement installed in my 2006. Maybe you could work out a tools "rental" with Mike for some beer?

He's also right about the resale value of the KLR's and economy of a new one. My 2006 was purchased out the door for $5K.

The reason I'm asking $3,500 for mine to an AZ FJR Forum Member ONLY, in perfect condition and nitpickingly maintained by yours truly, is because that's the same amount that BMW of Scottsdale will give me as a trade in on my new F800GS. If I could possibly store a 6th motorcycle in my garage and my Jeep Liberty Diesel SUV, I'd keep my KLR; it's been a sweet!
If I were shopping for a used one the '06 would be the ticket. The lime KX green and graphics look waaaaaaay better than any other year model.

The 08 KLR I traded on my Versys was NOT an oil burner. Used Shell Rotella dino from 50 miles on up to 3500 when I traded it...never had to add any between changes.

Traded b/c I found myself on pavement about 90% of the time even though I am surrounded by dirt possibilities. Just gettin' too old I guess.

Beemerdons, have you already sold that old '06? Ummmm, might I be interested?? Pics or PM?...

The color wouldn't matter as I am an airbrush artist and would be having at it with the KLR surfaces, even a new one. (If I could afford all new plastic for the Feej I would so paint that up immediatly!! But it's too pretty to spit paint on. maybe in a few years, when it gets it's first scratch...)

I have a dealer calling me in a month when they get their 09s in, but it doesn't mean I have to have a new one. He said he hasn't had anyone mention oil burning on the 08s (yet), and his (personal) 06 is bulletproof, no probs. I didn't ask if they were addressing the doohickey for 09. Should have...

I am excited at the prospect of hitting the offroad again. Guess I will have to find a good pair of "offroad sandals" to wear, I sure can't wear my "street sandals", those are just for the FJR! heh heh

C

https://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii307/m...mview=slideshow More pics of MMM-II about in Mexico!

Chris, mi amigo: Take your time and ride a 2009; see how you like it. I really don't want give up "Mi Mexico Mule II" until I have delivery of my BMW F800GS. I do have to warn you that mi compadre SkooterG has said that he wants to borrow it some day, to see if he likes offroad riding. Jesu Cristo y Que Lastima: Imagine what MMM-II will look like post GregM! Puto!

Oh, I'll be there to check out the 09s before I do anything... I like the Mexico pics! I'll have my own to post at some point (maybe not Mex, but somewhere)

Thanks

C

I decided a road worthy dual sport (Like the KLR or GS class) was mainly road worthy, but a poor off road machine. My last dirt bike was a FE400 Husaberg and I dual sported it with streetable tires, (avon distanzias) and its a blast. It goes damn near anywhere but the roughest offroad (more a tire function). It's street legal and now my favorite bike for just messing around. Less than 250 lbs. and other than highway where its not really workable.

Me I'm here as I want a travel bike like the FJR to match up. For canyon carving I have a Duc 900 SS-SP.

The Yamaha completes the set.

bob

I decided a road worthy dual sport (Like the KLR or GS class) was mainly road worthy, but a poor off road machine. My last dirt bike was a FE400 Husaberg and I dual sported it with streetable tires, (avon distanzias) and its a blast. It goes damn near anywhere but the roughest offroad (more a tire function). It's street legal and now my favorite bike for just messing around. Less than 250 lbs. and other than highway where its not really workable.
Me I'm here as I want a travel bike like the FJR to match up. For canyon carving I have a Duc 900 SS-SP.

bob
Bob,

I understand "the set" idea completely.

I just need to trade my Pegaso for street legal 'berg and my VFR for a desmo Ducati.

Well, I probably need to knock over a good sized bank first, then those other things...

bob
Bob,

I understand "the set" idea completely.

I just need to trade my Pegaso for street legal 'berg and my VFR for a desmo Ducati.

Well, I probably need to knock over a good sized bank first, then those other things...
Not really a bank, maybe a 7-11. The Duc is a 95 and the Berg is a 99. combined worth less than a new starter bike in resell value. Though I did buy both bikes new a long time ago. Other rides come and go, these two just stuck.

I've never had the time to travel, so a travel road bike has never been in the garage. Time for a change.

bob

Is it true the new KLR's are made in Korea? I was talking to a guy who owned one, and asking his opinions about it, since I was at the time considering buying one, he said it was made in Korea? he said it was ok, but it was too top heavy and underpowered for the trail riding he wanted to do with it, he also had a BMW 650, that he said he had too many problems with it's motor , so both were up for sale. He was going to buy a KTM or Husky.

Is it true the new KLR's are made in Korea? I was talking to a guy who owned one, and asking his opinions about it, since I was at the time considering buying one, he said it was made in Korea? he said it was ok, but it was too top heavy and underpowered for the trail riding he wanted to do with it, he also had a BMW 650, that he said he had too many problems with it's motor , so both were up for sale. He was going to buy a KTM or Husky.
The last year the KLR was actually produced in Japan was the '01 model.

https://www.rotax.com/en/Engine/2004/Motorcycle/ Was aware my bike wasn't made in Japan. I'm very shocked to hear of problems with BMW 650/Aprilia Pegaso ROTAX motors! www.azbeemers.org/ We've 21 members with this bulletproof M/C!
+1. Not much goes wrong with the Rotax 650 engines. They're pretty reliable. And since they have a chain drive no BMW final drive problems to worry about... <g, d & r>

I have also been wanting to add a dual-purpose bike to the garage. For the price, the KLR cant be beat. I have always been a Kawasaki fan and think that overall the KLR could be a good option, however..

I am concerned about the power and the weight. The weight probably wouldnt be too bad, if it had more power. I think that in general folks claim around 35-45hp to the tire. Probably closer to 35-40hp to the tire to be truthful. It still has carbs verus fuel injection and its a single piston thumper.

For someone used to sport bikes and an FJR, the KLR is going to be a different animal. That kind of power just doesnt get me excited one bit.

Frankly I wished they would have used the Versys engine in the new KLR. The new BMW F800GS is going to have around 85hp to the flywheel (probably around 75hp to the tire), two pistons, fuel injection and less weight. In my mind, it would be what the KLR could have been with the Versys engine and frankly more of what I would like in all round dual-purpose bike.

I have to ride about 150mi to get to the mountains/gravel/forests. That means 300mi of road travel to get there and back plus what I ride while I am there. Plus you should factor in longer rides with "stuff" and more weight for camping and whatnot.

If Yamaha would bring over the Tenre, that might would be an option - but - if you want decent smooth power in a lighter package, you are looking to spend more cash and look at the KTM's or BMW's. I am NOT a BMW fan, however, I will be closely watching the F800GS when it becomes available next month.

Mark