Thinking of rechristening the FJR "Herbie"

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

otrfjr

Don't tell Mom
Reaction score
The lovebugs are out in force in FL, and my bike is paying the price. I've washed it twice in the last five days, but some of the splatter spots are almost impossible to remove, especially those on the "nose" of the bike. Yesterday I left the bike in the rain for 30 minutes thinking that would help soften up the globby remains of the varmints. Not all of them came off during the washing, and even waxing (using Dupont's Teflon wax) required quite a bit of effort to get off the last goo. Anyone have any tricks or tips they'd care to share? Tips or tricks that don't include not riding it or zig-zagging in a violent manner to miss them, that is.

Affixing a name to a machine is just plain gay. Unless, of course, said machine is a Wabs, in which case affixing a name to the machine is quite manly and the former comment is rendered invalid in just such a case. ;)

Poor twn gave his scoot a name......hm....wabs sounds like a guy. Comfortable in that closet, twn?

There are some specific products available in auto parts stores to soften and make clean-up easier. Requires spraying and soaking prior to washing. A small teflon spatula may help scrape the stubborn ones off.

As a preventative measure, a liberal coating of 'PAM'-type cooking spray on the frontal surfaces on the motorcycle should keep those dastardly 'Love Bugs' from adhering.

Man, I do not miss the having to deal with those bugs! Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can get bug & tar remover, too, but that stuff removes wax as well, so re-wax after!

Excessive use will eat paint, but so will love bugs. Quite the quandary, huh?

Poor twn gave his scoot a name......hm....wabs sounds like a guy. Comfortable in that closet, twn?
Nope, Wabs is the model as in Wee Strom with ABS. I actually call the bike 'Pepe' after Juan's Ford Bronco in Romancing the Stone. Why? Because Pepe was a 'mule'. ;) Now close the damn door, you're letting in the draft!

Oh and by the way, just take your best bath towel, soak it in hot water and leave over the bugged areas for 10 minutes. The bug spooge will come right off. (Meant to put that in my other post here, but a got distracted by a call from a steaming O'vale...)

somebody here recommended 50/50 mix of water and hydrogen peroxide. Sure as anything, it works. Spray it on, let the bubbles soak in, and it softens up the hardest bug goup.

The recipe for the Windshield cleaning stuff CalSci has on their web site works good on the shield and the paint for love bug removal. Sorry I don't have the link.

I am in Florida this month......ughhhhhhhh love bugs.

The recipe for the Windshield cleaning stuff CalSci has on their web site works good on the shield and the paint for love bug removal. Sorry I don't have the link.I am in Florida this month......ughhhhhhhh love bugs.
Here is their link

https://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Fairing.html

Cleaning your Windshield We make our own cleaning fluid. When you buy a windshield from us, we give you a small spray bottle of cleaning fluid and a micro-fiber cleaning towel. Here's our "secret" washing fluid recipe, the result of testing about 25 different formulas:

Makes 1 quart = 1 liter windshield washing fluid 1/2 cup = 100cc ammonia (double this if you have a lot of bugs)

2 cups = 400cc alcohol

1.5 tsp = 8cc car wash detergent (don't substitute dish soap or laundry detergent)

2 cups = 500cc water

We recommend using only micro-fiber cleaning towels on your windshield.

The lovebugs are out in force in FL, and my bike is paying the price. I've washed it twice in the last five days, but some of the splatter spots are almost impossible to remove, especially those on the "nose" of the bike. Yesterday I left the bike in the rain for 30 minutes thinking that would help soften up the globby remains of the varmints. Not all of them came off during the washing, and even waxing (using Dupont's Teflon wax) required quite a bit of effort to get off the last goo. Anyone have any tricks or tips they'd care to share? Tips or tricks that don't include not riding it or zig-zagging in a violent manner to miss them, that is.
wet a bounty drier sheet wipes off the bugs with little effort, mine was covered with lovebugs as was my wife's goldwing trike, cleaned both in verry little time

i have lived in pensacola for 35 years, the last 22 of those riding a motorcycle during the lovebug outbrakes in spring an fall.

the best thing to do is wash your bike as soon as possible. i have heard of the PAM spray technique, but never have tried it. i used, for several years, a shield cleaning product made by national cycle. it would leave a film, or better yet a barrier that made cleaning the bugs off very very easy...unfortunaltly national cycle has discontinued the shield cleaner

the next best thing to do is buy some all kleer...this stuff rocks!

link

link

No love bugs up here but we do have bugs.

We have been carrying a can of Pledge and a towel all summer. Whenever you stop give the windscreen and front a quick spray and wipe. Only takes 3-4 minutes. If you get them off before they set, it is much easier. Also the Pledge gives a bit of a Rainex effect to windscreens & visors. I had heard about using it a couple of times. and was sceptical until I saw the owner of the local BMW shop spraying his bike down at a rest stop.

Enjoy the fragrant lemon smell.

I just rode from Fl to KY and got attacked by the lovebugs as well. I use Simple Green and clean paper towels. Spray, wait, wipe with clean paper towel.... spray wait wipe with clean paper towell.

2 times is usually enough to get them off, the real stubburn ones take a third shot.

50% hydrogen peroxide works wonders. You might also try coating your windshield, fron fender, etc. with Rain-X. However, try a small part first as it may affect some plastices. (I learned the hard way-buying a new windshield for a H-D). The Rain-X makes it a lot easier to get stck bugs off.