Thinking of riding from Central CA to Tonopah, NV June 1-2-3. Anyone interested?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biknflyfisher

Reaction score
Hey Central Cally riders, I'm thinking of taking a ride from Kingsburg to Tonopah June 1-2-3 and am throwing it out there for anyone interested. I'm not looking to make this a complicated thing, but if you like to ride, open up the throttle a tad, and bag some miles, this is a fun trip.

There's a Best Western hotel in town that's reasonable, and drinks and dinner at the Mizpah Hotel at the end of the (days) is great! My late Dad and I did this ride 4 years ago and had a great time out in the desert.

I have not made a reservation yet as I'm still mulling this over, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to do this.

If you are so inclined, jump on here and let's have a conversation.

Brian Loven

One of my dream rides has been the "Little Feat Tour of the Southwest":

I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to TONOPAH,

Driven every kind of rig that's ever been made.

Driven the back roads so I wouldn't get weighed ...

By the way, there's a Tonopah in both Nevada and Arizona. Always assumed they were talking about the Clown Motel in Tonopah, NV.

Last edited by a moderator:
That clown motel looks freaky when you drive by it....

A clown motel in an old mining town, sounds like a horror movie for sure.....

Hey, girlie girl! Is Tonopah anywhere near YFO '19? I mean, like, is it on the way home from Yosemite to ATL? <scurries off to check several maps>

Hey, girlie girl! Is Tonopah anywhere near Bridgeport '19? I mean, like, is it on the way home from Bridgeport to ATL? <scurries off to check several maps>
Yeah you could manage that... easy peasy!
wink.png

I'd recommend 120 into Benton (gas up there) and then off to Tonopah! B)

(Too quick a reply after my second glass of wine. And you know what? Pretty much everything south of Chicago is "on the way back" from CA to ATL.)

You're doing YFO 19, yes? 'Cause summer 2018 is already here and pretty much spoken for. And I'm kinda sure you are re-running YFO in 2019. Kinda sure, like ... yeah. 2019.

Kelly likes horror movies, but only on the TV. She's not staying in any Clown Motel anywhere.

(Too quick a reply after my second glass of wine. And you know what? Pretty much everything south of Chicago is "on the way back" from CA to ATL.)
You're doing YFO 19, yes? 'Cause summer 2018 is already here and pretty much spoken for. And I'm kinda sure you are re-running YFO in 2019. Kinda sure, like ... yeah. 2019.

Kelly likes horror movies, but only on the TV. She's not staying in any Clown Motel anywhere.
Yes, YFO in September 2019, sweetums... 2018 is already spoken for here too! ;)

As for Clown motels, she shares a room with you, right?
flirt.gif

... As for Clown motels, she shares a room with you, right?
flirt.gif
Except in Clown Motels where she would find accommodations far, far away.

OK, here's a teaser for the route to Tonopah:

Highway 99 to Bako where I'll catch 178 to go over Walker Pass. 178 to 395, then north on 395 to Big Pine where the Copper Top BBQ serves great lunch. From there I will grab 168 to go over Westgard Pass and on to 266. At 266 I'll head over Lida Summit to 95 and on to the cool old town of Goldfield for a look, then a few more miles to Tonopah for the night.

Thats about 411 miles for the day.

Biknflyfisher

Well, I went on the ride by myself covering over 1200 miles in 3 days.

It was awesome!! Got a chance to ride for an extended period at 5000 RPM in 5th on Highway 6 in the middle of nowhere - really covered some ground at that speed. The bike just sang a sweet tune at that RPM.....

I'll be going back again next year most likely.

Peace, Biknflyfisher

Well, I went on the ride by myself covering over 1200 miles in 3 days. It was awesome!! Got a chance to ride for an extended period at 5000 RPM in 5th on Highway 6 in the middle of nowhere - really covered some ground at that speed. The bike just sang a sweet tune at that RPM..... I'll be going back again next year most likely. Peace, Biknflyfisher
Glad you had a good time! I'm headed for Canada on Saturday... the long way... If I had the extra time, I would've joined ya!
wink.png