Thoughts on these rotors?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you kidding? Chinese made?

Even if they are of decent quality, what happens if you have an issue and need support or to return them?

No thanks.

But I think it would be an excellent idea for you to try them and let the rest of us know of your experience!

Try 'em out and let us know.

Actually, it wouldn't suprise me at all if Yamaha bought these, and a lot of other stuff, from China. They might very well be really good or really bad.

The ad says: 5mm thick -- I thought (and there was a discussion a while back -- I searched and couldn't find it) Gen IIs were a little thinner (4mm?) than the Gen Is 5mm?

Not that it would nec. be a bad thing -- just a little heavier, maybe?

I certainly could be wrong on the Gen II thing... :unsure:

I for one try to avoid buying Chinese unless absolutely necessary like a 2$ glass screen for an iPhone, their "quality" standards for anything technical usually sucks in a big way. We once ordered electrical motor housing (Aluminum) and gave them all the 3-D drawings and specs. Not one out of a 100 samples were usable...

there is too much weird schitt going on over there in terms of animal abuse and polluting the environment

admin pls delete if this is considered political

just my 2c

The trouble with Chinese stuff is you don't know if they are a reputable manufacturer or not. They might be, but.......... why not spend a little more and buy EBC rotors, for example?

I for one try to avoid buying Chinese unless absolutely necessary like a 2$ glass screen for an iPhone, their "quality" standards for anything technical usually sucks in a big way. We once ordered electrical motor housing (Aluminum) and gave them all the 3-D drawings and specs. Not one out of a 100 samples were usable...
there is too much weird schitt going on over there in terms of animal abuse and polluting the environment

admin pls delete if this is considered political

just my 2c
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but if you watch any '70s vintage movies, you hear exactly the same kind of comments about the Japanese products, cars and electronics. And now we pay premium prices for anything "Made in Japan".

Also, what possible correlation is there b/w China's animal abuse and environmental pollution issues and the quality of something like disc brake rotors? Besides, their ad says (assuming it's true) that they manufacture OEM parts for most bikes:

we supply most of the brake rotor for Japanese & European & US motorcycles from year 1988 to 2009
. When it comes to Chinese products, the real deciding factor is the QA/QC level you're willing to pay for and often people/companies get too greedy and opt for the low-end of that spectrum IMHO.
I remember at one point the Australian Dollar coin was made in China, until the flag wavers found out and protested enough to bring it back on-shore, passing the higher production costs, etc onto the Tax payer of course.

Oh and the discs look real nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but if you watch any '70s vintage movies, you hear exactly the same kind of comments about the Japanese products, cars and electronics. And now we pay premium prices for anything "Made in Japan".
Yup, except China is still at that stage of tin-plated crap. I remember those days myself. Right now everything over there is pretty much at the "cottage industry" stage with a lot of very small companies putting stuff out, each one with his own idea of quality. I hear if you don't have your man in the factory checking things, they'll not even attempt to match your quality specs. I don't believe their "we make stuff for/like the OEMs" for a nanosecond.

Now I shop at Horrible Fright myself, but I don't buy anything I'd depend on, or anything very complex, and I give everything the real hairy eyeball before I buy it.

There's a lot of people here in Florida with crap Chinese high-sulfur-content drywall, that can no longer live in their houses.

The ad says: 5mm thick -- I thought (and there was a discussion a while back -- I searched and couldn't find it) Gen IIs were a little thinner (4mm?) than the Gen Is 5mm?Not that it would nec. be a bad thing -- just a little heavier, maybe?

I certainly could be wrong on the Gen II thing... :unsure:
Upon reflection, I was even 'wrong-er' than I first thought.

5mm front rotors for '03s (U.S.) only -- later years have (what I thought I read/heard posted here) thinner front rotors (I thought I remember a discussion about 4mm rotors?).

The Ebay/Chinese ones say 5mm.

so ya sayin' I shouldn't buy Chinese Drywall ???

https://www.google.com/search?q=new+orleans...;rlz=1I7GGLL_en

well back on topic:

I tried to find ya original brake vibration thread, but failed.

My bike started a click produced on medium to hard front braking...thought my new steering head bearings need some sort of adjustment or tightening.

It turned out to be one or both rotors up front. They are floating rotors. The bolts have some sort of bearing that can wear over time and allow the rotor to microscopily move a tiny bit. Replacing the units that hold the disc onto the wheel should cure that. Guess I'll live with it as it's quite subtle and doesn't affect how well the bike stops. It's just I can feel that click or tiny amount of play upon braking.

Thanks, 'Constant Mesh' -- I thought the later/larger dia. ones were thinner.

Not making any 'judgements' -- just, good to know (I think). :unsure: