throttle cable slack

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

818Guy

Reaction score
Newbie question specific to a 2006 FJRAE.

How do I know (or find out) if I have any throttle cable slack?

The on/off snap of the throttle I get is getting to be too much. I have over 5k miles on my FJR and thought over time I'd "learn" how to deal with this... it's not happening.

I do have a PCIII on order but I wanted to check my throttle cable slack as well (before I install the PCIII).

Thanks for any info.

On my bike, I noticed the cables moved when turning the throttle. I tightened it up to where they barley moved. Seems to work well for me.

Test it by having the engine running in neutral and turn the handlebars full deflection a few times each direction to make sure there are no issues.

I'm not an expert, but i did sleep in a holiday in express last night.

Newbie question specific to a 2006 FJRAE.
How do I know (or find out) if I have any throttle cable slack?

The on/off snap of the throttle I get is getting to be too much. I have over 5k miles on my FJR and thought over time I'd "learn" how to deal with this... it's not happening.

I do have a PCIII on order but I wanted to check my throttle cable slack as well (before I install the PCIII).

Thanks for any info.
Using only your thumb and index finger gently twist the throttle. Is there any free play before you feel resistance and/or a slight increase in rpm? If so, that's from slack in the cable.

Adjust it out with the cable adjuster on the cable near the throttle - peel back the rubber covering, loosen the jam nut and twist the long nut until the slack goes away. It is possible to adjust it too tightly and if you do that it will be as if the throttle is open a bit. Also, checking to be sure that back and forth movement of the handlebars has no effect is good advice (from IndianaTom) as well. Tighten the jam nut and replace the rubber covering.

Then install the PCIII which will almost entirely solve the problem.

Thanks for the info. :yahoo:

Checked when I got home last night. No play, therefore no slack. :(

I may try another dealership who does not service my bike and ask them if what my bike does is "normal." To be specific, whether it's slow speeds or on the freeway, if I just let go of the throttle, the bike does this nose dive and throws me forward. The same, more-or-less, with throttle-on but it's more noticable at low speed. Very abrupt IMO.

Otherwise, it's waiting to install the PCIII next weekend.