Throttle Spring Release on AE model - Issue with complete stop now

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was eliminated after I gave it a clutch soak.
Will these instructions work for the AE? I wouldn't mind trying it and seeing if that helps..

Never mind, need to look at your sig first :p
Your initial description fits a change I've noticed with my bike since two things happened.A long tailback on I4 recently had me stopping and starting every minute or two,changing up to second and sometimes third then slowing down to a stop.Going on for 20 or 30 minutes.

Only other thing is I turned idle speed up from 950 ish to 1100.

Since these events although I can't be sure exactly when it started, when coming to a stop changing down to second then first,I can feel the clutch disengaging normally while still rolling as before, but then it feels like it's just engaged for a split second again, then disengages completely as I come to a stop.It's just a 'dab', like you let the lever out on a manual clutch bike just for a split second.

Weird. I will try to be more specific about the revs when this happens and if it is every time I stop.Need to find a deserted road first though.

BTW, spring hasn't been touched yet,I planned for that this w/end.
Bring your idle RPM down a tad. Same thing happened to me when I up'd the idle RPM. Went away when I brought back down a tiny bit. :ph34r:

I notice my clutch trying to stay in gear when coming to a stop when the bike is still not fully warmed up. Afterward warm up the clutch disengages normally when it reaches the lower rpm range. This only started happening to me after it went over 90K miles. I figured it may just need an adjustment during the next valve job service.

Will these instructions work for the AE? I wouldn't mind trying it and seeing if that helps..

Never mind, need to look at your sig first :p
Your initial description fits a change I've noticed with my bike since two things happened.A long tailback on I4 recently had me stopping and starting every minute or two,changing up to second and sometimes third then slowing down to a stop.Going on for 20 or 30 minutes.

Only other thing is I turned idle speed up from 950 ish to 1100.

Since these events although I can't be sure exactly when it started, when coming to a stop changing down to second then first,I can feel the clutch disengaging normally while still rolling as before, but then it feels like it's just engaged for a split second again, then disengages completely as I come to a stop.It's just a 'dab', like you let the lever out on a manual clutch bike just for a split second.

Weird. I will try to be more specific about the revs when this happens and if it is every time I stop.Need to find a deserted road first though.

BTW, spring hasn't been touched yet,I planned for that this w/end.
Bring your idle RPM down a tad. Same thing happened to me when I up'd the idle RPM. Went away when I brought back down a tiny bit. :ph34r:
Thanks Majic, I was thinking that could be worth trying.Quick and easy anyway!

Bringing the idle revs down a tad does seem to have cured the 'hanging' onto first gear which I eventually realised was happening.

1100 rpm was just a tad too high for my bike!

Thanks for the suggestion majic.

BTW, did the TBS, unwound the return spring and took most of the slack out the cable, all great tips from the forum guys.

I found the Motion Pro tool no problem to use and although one of the tb caps made a run for it,after a long and patient search was found lurking in a dark corner of the bike and duly replaced where it belongs.

Still evaluating the results but a definite improvement. More later.

But, if you've got a sticking clutch, it can be reluctant to disengage when it should. Without using the brakes, my '06's clutch would sometimes stay engaged, then release late, so the bike would hold its speed on engine tick-over unless you braked until the stickiness of the clutch gave way.

Did the clutch soak and it now disengages / engages much, much smoother. Thanks for the tip!!

Bringing the idle revs down a tad does seem to have cured the 'hanging' onto first gear which I eventually realised was happening.

1100 rpm was just a tad too high for my bike!

Thanks for the suggestion majic.

BTW, did the TBS, unwound the return spring and took most of the slack out the cable, all great tips from the forum guys.

I found the Motion Pro tool no problem to use and although one of the tb caps made a run for it,after a long and patient search was found lurking in a dark corner of the bike and duly replaced where it belongs.

Still evaluating the results but a definite improvement. More later.

Finally got around to posting results and are in a different post.

But, if you've got a sticking clutch, it can be reluctant to disengage when it should. Without using the brakes, my '06's clutch would sometimes stay engaged, then release late, so the bike would hold its speed on engine tick-over unless you braked until the stickiness of the clutch gave way.

Did the clutch soak and it now disengages / engages much, much smoother. Thanks for the tip!!
NC Ryder:

My bike does exactly the same thing you described in your first few post...the low low (creeper) first gear. I've noticed it just a few times (3 times I can think of) when going very slow up an incline with low engine RPM's. The bike definitely seems to be in first gear and then shifts into a gear that's lower than the normal 1st gear. I can only think of 3 times this has happened in the 3000 miles of riding and one of them was today. Hauling double with luggage, going up a very steep incline to a stop sign going very slow, the bike dropped down into what feels like a creeper gear. My bike is a 09 with 3000 miles. I didn't know what to make of it when it first happened going up a limestone driveway, but it definitely helps in the control factor.

...NC Ryder:

My bike does exactly the same thing you described in your first few post...the low low (creeper) first gear. I've noticed it just a few times (3 times I can think of) when going very slow up an incline with low engine RPM's. The bike definitely seems to be in first gear and then shifts into a gear that's lower than the normal 1st gear. I can only think of 3 times this has happened in the 3000 miles of riding and one of them was today. Hauling double with luggage, going up a very steep incline to a stop sign going very slow, the bike dropped down into what feels like a creeper gear. My bike is a 09 with 3000 miles. I didn't know what to make of it when it first happened going up a limestone driveway, but it definitely helps in the control factor.
There is no creeper gear.

All that is happening is the engine has slowed to the point where the clutch disengages (nominally 1300 rpm or 9 mph, then the engine speed has increased to start to re-engage the clutch (nominally 1800 rpm), but it won't fully engage until the road speed is sufficient (a minimum of 12.5 mph). Keep the speed lower than this and the clutch will keep slipping.

Last edited by a moderator:
...NC Ryder:

There is no creeper gear.

All that is happening is the engine has slowed to the point where the clutch disengages (nominally 1300 rpm or 9 mph, then the engine speed has increased to start to re-engage the clutch (nominally 1800 rpm), but it won't fully engage until the road speed is sufficient (a minimum of 12.5 mph). Keep the speed lower than this and the clutch will keep slipping.
So...should anything be done to correct this or does everyone's bike do the same thing?? I'm reading your web site, just got done with the one with the Triumph misfiring. You must have the patience of Job, I'm afraid I would have offed the bike out of frustration a long time ago. Looks like a lot of good reading there.

The downshifting on the AE automatically happens under the conditions that mcatrophy describes, in a much better way than I can. To me it seems to translate to, as you slow down, the bike is in first gear and the dropping RPMs reach the threshold that the clutch disengages and then re-engages to accomodate the lower speed and prevent 'stalling'. Any input to the throttle causes the clutch to slip until you then hit the other threshold for it to fully engage. Another way to possibly think about it is if you had a bike with a manual clutch and were going up a steep hill the RPMS would continue to drop to a point where you would have to pull the clutch in to prevent a stall, and then let the clutch back out partially (reangaging the clutch / slipping it) with higher RPMs to continue moving forward without stalling. At least that's the way I explain it in my mind. :p

To your question, it seems to be part of the AE model.

3 things I did with recommendations on this site that seemed to help:

1) Clutch soak: This GREATLY reduced the lurching in the disengagement / reengagement action, it feels much smoother now when it happens now

2) Second gear: Slowing down for a stop I keep it in second until I come to a complete stop, and then shift into first. The disengage / reengage in second gear is much smoother than when in first.

3) Work the brake: Knowing this is going to happen, I work the brake to force that disengage / reengage at a time I want vs letting it happen at a time I don't (like in the middle of a slow turn).

Hope that helps!

Last edited by a moderator:

So...should anything be done to correct this or does everyone's bike do the same thing?? ...
There is nothing wrong that needs correction, and yes, they all do the same.

I'm reading your web site, just got done with the one with the Triumph misfiring. You must have the patience of Job, I'm afraid I would have offed the bike out of frustration a long time ago. Looks like a lot of good reading there.
Trouble is, when the Trophy ran properly, it was a great ride. I'd probably still be riding it if my stupid finger joints behaved like the 17 year old my brain wants to be, as opposed to the nearly 70 year old body it actually inhabits. Having said that, I've no regrets getting the FJR
tongue.gif

This post goes back to when you stated your throttle doesn't return all the way back and you were messing around with the TC return spring. I got thinking (and u stated you were the 2nd owner) you might have the Throttle Meister cruise control bar ends? If mine is only half disengaged it reacts just like what you mentioned.

Just a thought ;)

The downshifting on the AE automatically happens under the conditions that mcatrophy describes, in a much better way than I can.
AE doesn't downshift automatically, it just clutches. You stop in fifth gear, you will remain in 5th gear, etc

I have throttle return sprin unwound, not experiencing your issues. Glad rewinding got you closer. My AE has never sounded like it was going to stall during slow speed maneuvering or otherwise. Something else seems to be off.