Throttle spring rewind

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gixxerjasen

Reaction score
Sometimes ya just get used to stuff.

When I got my AE a year and a half ago, it suffered terribly from the smoothness issues. I tackled it with all guns firing over one weekend. Throttle slack adjustment, throttle spring unwind, PCIII, and G2 throttle tube. Pretty well fixed my smoothness issues and I was mostly happy.

Now, in the short time I'd had the bike, I didn't notice the throttle being all that hard to pull, but I did it because it was recommended. However, I had an issue where the spring wouldn't push hard on the throttle to close it over like the last 10th of it's turn distance. With it open I could watch it and I manually close it with my hand and the little spring sits a few mm's back from the stop and eventually unwinds to rest against the stop, but it isn't pushing it at that point most of the time.

So I got used to it. Manually shutting the throttle with my hand that is and making sure it's shut. But there was the nagging thought...was the throttle spring undwind necessary? I didn't notice it being bad in that respect before...didn't notice too much difference in the effort afterwards. I wonder if I should rewind it?

This weekend, while tracking down some other gremlins and inspecting spiders, I decided to rewind it.

Holy freaking crap. Yea, it makes a whole heck of a lot of difference! I was quite used to the light pull on the throttle tube but this feels like it's going to tear my hand off at the wrist.

So, I'll give it a week or so and we'll see if this too is something I get used to and whether or not I decide to unwind again. Too bad there's no in between, that'd sure be nice.

Anyway, I know there's been a lot of talk on the unwind, but not too many have rewound (because it's a pain in the ass) so I figured I'd report my findings. I'll let you know if it stays this way or if it gets unwound again.

Oh yea, there's a certain amount of uneasiness at having both your primary and secondary vehicles stripped down for maintenance at the same time.

Thanks for this nugget of info. I too had been contemplating a rewind because the throttle closure issue as you described. But if the end result in the difference between the unwind and the rewind is as noticeable as you describe -- even with the G2 (which i never did), then mine shall remain unwound. The herky-jerky throttle response at stock tension is just plain dangerous as far as i'm concerned, especially at low-speed parking lot maneuvers.

Thanks for this nugget of info. I too had been contemplating a rewind because the throttle closure issue as you described. But if the end result in the difference between the unwind and the rewind is as noticeable as you describe -- even with the G2 (which i never did), then mine shall remain unwound. The herky-jerky throttle response at stock tension is just plain dangerous as far as i'm concerned, especially at low-speed parking lot maneuvers.
I did the G2 but never unwound mine. I got used to it I guess. I use the Cramp Buster a lot so I can relax my hand when I want too. The FJR's throttle is much stiffer than my WR 450.

I did the spring unwind on mine way back when I got it and have never had the problem of it not closing properly. One extra thing I did at the time was to adjust out the slack in the throttle cable (using adjuster up by controls) after performing the unwind. One of these days I might do the G2, but it hasn't been a real bother quite frankly.

Don't forget to remove the throttle tube from the handlebar to clean & re-lubricate it-makes quite a difference!

I had done the throttle spring unwind and after a while the throttle wouldn't return as well to the closed positon, did as mentioned above, found the lubricant used from the factory between the tube & bar had basically turned to gum over time and caused the throttle not to return to the closed position as it should.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've lubed the throttle tube and done the cable. The thing is, I can shut it manually with the throttle and see that the spring isn't all the way against the stop. So the throttle tube lube isn't the answer.

As for the pull on the throttle with the rewind...not as bad on the ride home as it was on the ride to work today. We'll see.

The only time I've had herky jerky on the throttle was before I soaked the clutch plates since it had been sitting a while at the dealer and the plates had dried out.

My spring also had that little bit of slack when unwound and I also have slow return to idle, especially while rolling at speed. Thanks for the report because I'd considered a rewind also, especially since my spring unwound so fast that I wasn't sure if it unwound one turn or more. You saved me the effort of rewinding because I have no problem rolling the throttle on and off.

One thing I had considered when I did the unwind was to cut the loop off the end of the spring and bend a new one that will apply a little tension at idle. I was mainly concerned with the possibility of the loose spring end loop binding up somehow, but 75,000 miles later it hasn't happened yet. Due to such tight quarters, I gave up on the shorter spring idea.

My spring also had that little bit of slack when unwound and I also have slow return to idle, especially while rolling at speed. Thanks for the report because I'd considered a rewind also, especially since my spring unwound so fast that I wasn't sure if it unwound one turn or more. You saved me the effort of rewinding because I have no problem rolling the throttle on and off.
Yea, you guys and the lightning speed spring got me to do a slow controlled unwind of mine. Same method to rewind it....thought it didn't work nearly as easily as I had in my head.
biggrin.png

One thing I had considered when I did the unwind was to cut the loop off the end of the spring and bend a new one that will apply a little tension at idle. I was mainly concerned with the possibility of the loose spring end loop binding up somehow, but 75,000 miles later it hasn't happened yet. Due to such tight quarters, I gave up on the shorter spring idea.
Hrm....

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yea, there's a certain amount of uneasiness at having both your primary and secondary vehicles stripped down for maintenance at the same time.
I hear ya. This year, for some strange reason, I've been disabling vehicles partially inside the garage. It makes it really inconvenient to run to the auto store for parts when you can't close the garage up. Fortunately, the neighbors think I'm an idiot, but haven't been inclined to steal things out of the garage while I'm gone.

Having done the throttle spring unwind, I took The Joker to track day and although they let me run that day, told me no more track days without a fully functioning throttle spring. Except i cannot figure out how to re-wind and attach. Took the tank off....looked back in where I had unwound, but cannot find the spring loop/tang....any tricks to the re-wind??

FJokeR07

You sir have an issue there. Sounds like it went too far or something. I'm not sure I have any advice for you, my loop was lightly against the metal tang in there. I used some safety wire looped and sent it around to catch it so I could wind it back. A simple piece of safety wire, an hour of time, and 113 curse words and mine was rewound. But that's all assuming you can actually see yours.

Basically I did the reverse of my process listed on this thread -> https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=145160

Having done the throttle spring unwind, I took The Joker to track day and although they let me run that day, told me no more track days without a fully functioning throttle spring. Except i cannot figure out how to re-wind and attach. Took the tank off....looked back in where I had unwound, but cannot find the spring loop/tang....any tricks to the re-wind??
FJokeR07
Did you try rotating the throttle while looking at the spring?

Yes...I have rotated the throttle through its full movement...but I need to try that again....not too many other options at this point.

I guess I am wondering what the next level of disassembly might be required to recover that tang and rewind....

THanks!

Make sure you're looking in the right place, throttle part open, tang circled in green, spring end only just visible below the throttle cable mounting plate:

(Click on image for larger view)

Have you installed the blockoff plates or are you trying to see this through all the plumbing in there?

The air lines are easy to take out and put back in if needed...and they make this job a LOT easier.

With all the extra crap.

Without...

You sir have an issue there. Sounds like it went too far or something. I'm not sure I have any advice for you, my loop was lightly against the metal tang in there. I used some safety wire looped and sent it around to catch it so I could wind it back. A simple piece of safety wire, an hour of time, and 113 curse words and mine was rewound. But that's all assuming you can actually see yours.
Basically I did the reverse of my process listed on this thread -> https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=145160
I rewound mine with safety wire too....but only 113 !!?? you must be a patient man...

Thanks you guys....I have all my air tubing blocked and removed...that's the good news. I will use the photos provided to make sure I'm seeing things correctly...

I have to say that I have no idea why people did those mods - I've taken a bit of flack on the FB forum because I've not found the throttle to be an issue on my '06 - never felt the need to drop a loop from the spring; never felt the need to change the throttle cam; never had issues with throttle control at speed in turns.

But that's just me.

And you aren't riding an AE either, which allows you to work past the throttle issue with the clutch. Not me.

Yea, only 113. My 4 year old kept walking out so there were about another 63 family safe words used.
biggrin.png