Throttle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTINSTRUCTOR

Reaction score
Reading, in Rider Magazine, one of the changes for 2008 was a redesigned throttle assembly. It was apparently to fix the jerky and hard throttle on the pre-'08 bikes.

Does anyone know if this can be retro fitted to an '07. Any chance Yamaha will help us out?

Love the bike, but really hate that throttle.

SENT THIS TWICE...COULD NOT FIND A DELETE. SORRY GUYS!

ALSO, A COMPARO IN SAME ISSUE OF FJR, ST, BMW GT, NEW KAWI .... WE DIDN'T MAKE FIRST BECAUSE OF ABOVE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reading, in Rider Magazine, one of the changes for 2008 was a redesigned throttle assembly. It was apparently to fix the jerky and hard throttle on the pre-'08 bikes.
Does anyone know if this can be retro fitted to an '07. Any chance Yamaha will help us out?

Love the bike, but really hate that throttle.

SENT THIS TWICE...COULD NOT FIND A DELETE. SORRY GUYS!

ALSO, A COMPARO IN SAME ISSUE OF FJR, ST, BMW GT, NEW KAWI .... WE DIDN'T MAKE FIRST BECAUSE OF ABOVE.
Yamaha could have either changed the throttle sleeve or the pulley on the throttle bodies. Maybe somebody can search the parts fiche to tell for sure. Why not just get a G2ergo throttle today for $60 and fix it now? The throttle sleeve alone is a huge improvement but combined with a PCIII is even better.

My thought is that the ratio (steep initial ramp) for the throttle on the '07 is because of the way the ECU reads the throttle inputs. Since the '08 will have the ECU programmed as the replacement ECUs for the '06-'07 "Altitude Problem Fix", and there is no "redesign" for this year, that the new throtle would fit.

Have you considered the G-2 throttle? It is round rather than cam/oval shaped. Link to part. Link to discussion thread.

EDIT: DJW posted while I was typing and getting the links

Last edited by a moderator:
My thought is that the ratio (steep initial ramp) for the throttle on the '07 is because of the way the ECU reads the throttle inputs. Since the '08 will have the ECU programmed as the replacement ECUs for the '06-'07 "Altitude Problem Fix", and there is no "redesign" for this year, that the new throtle would fit.

Have you considered the G-2 throttle? It is round rather than cam/oval shaped. Link to part. Link to discussion thread.

EDIT: DJW posted while I was typing and getting the links

Once again you have come through for us. Amazing how you still help out the Newbies with answers to stuff that obviously has been discussed before. I, for one, really thank you for your patience and assistance. Your linking feature really helps.

A lot of info passes this site each day and it is really hard to keep up with it. Don't know how you do it.

ColoradoFJR,

Thanks for that link. How much do you want to bet that it's the pulley off the 03-05 GenI FJRs?

IIRC, when 'FRED' was first doing his diagnostics for the abrupt throttle and discovered the progressive cam throttle pulley, he looked into what it would take to swap it out with a GEN I and it was going to be a pretty big deal. I believe the whole throttle assembly was going to have to be replaced at considerable cost and effort.

Ya might want to ping him over on the COG website for some information.