Tick Repair

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not sure what this might imply, but if you look up the cylinder head in the parts fiche that most Yamaha parts vendors use, the complete head part # for the 05 is superseded by part # 5JW-1102-10-00, which is the same part # of the head the 06 and 07 models use. This head uses different intake and exhaust valve guides. If you look at the parts fiche for the original 05 head and previous models, it uses the same intake and exhaust valve guides. Could be that Friendly is right.

But I am like you I thought I saw somewhere on the forum they had published a different valve guide for the older model head.

5jw-12121-01-00 valve, exhaust ........................................8 each

Old part # listed above from a previously listed tick repair list.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure what this might imply, but if you look up the cylinder head in the parts fiche that most Yamaha parts vendors use, the complete head part # for the 05 is superseded by part # 5JW-1102-10-00, which is the same part # of the head the 06 and 07 models use. This head uses different intake and exhaust valve guides. If you look at the parts fiche for the original 05 head and previous models, it uses the same intake and exhaust valve guides. Could be that Friendly is right.

But I am like you I thought I saw somewhere on the forum they had published a different valve guide for the older model head.

Maybe I have it wrong, but the part# you sited is for the entire "head assembly" which (I thought) includes all parts such as valves, valve guides, etc. If such is the case, the same head assembled with just one different part would require a new part#. In this case it would be the guides.

With the fact that Yamaha is admitting that the 5jw-11133-10-00 guides are defective by their willingness to repair as needed, the redesign for the 3p6-11134-10-00 guides is telling me that we need those guides! Replacing the original guides with something similar is a bandaid approach by Yamaha while they stall us from class action in hopes that we run these babies off the road through natural attrition. Why would Yamaha redesign a valve guide that would NOT fit in the previous model especially if those models were experiencing defects? Could it be that Yamaha has discovered that the properties for the new guide would require an adjustment in the outside dimensions resulting in different machining of the heads which recieve them. Buying time with guides is cheap and an obvious attempt get by. But machining existing heads to recieve the proper guides or better yet, replacing the entire head assembly appears to be the true answer to this problem!

Roadhound

You are correct, the part number is for the head assy. has been changed. It looks to me like the head assy. only has the valve guides, cam bearing blocks and attaching bolts included.

The conclusion I come to with this is the same as yours. The exhaust valve guide listed for the newer head will not fit the older model head or they would have listed the part number for the newer guide as a replacement guide for the older head.

This has been very confusing to me also when I had my 05. Were they really correcting the problem, or just repairing them with the same crappy parts? My 05 had not started ticking. but I was considering replacing the head assy. myself and I would be sure to have it fixed for good. I was not happy with having a bike with this potential problem lurking along with the roasted nuts problem also, so I decided to trade for an 07.

[/COLOR]

You are correct, the part number is for the head assy. has been changed. It looks to me like the head assy. only has the valve guides, cam bearing blocks and attaching bolts included.

The conclusion I come to with this is the same as yours. The exhaust valve guide listed for the newer head will not fit the older model head or they would have listed the part number for the newer guide as a replacement guide for the older head.

This has been very confusing to me also when I had my 05. Were they really correcting the problem, or just repairing them with the same crappy parts? My 05 had not started ticking. but I was considering replacing the head assy. myself and I would be sure to have it fixed for good. I was not happy with having a bike with this potential problem lurking along with the roasted nuts problem also, so I decided to trade for an 07.

[/quote

I concidered other options as well. I have a friend in Houma, LA who owns Motorcycle Performance Specialty. He also owns an 04 FJR but his doesn't tick,YET! He said that if it ever happens to him, he would not bother w/ the "bandaid" offered by Yamaha. He would have "brass" guides installed and be done with it! I considered that route but I can't swallow the idea that I would be forking over +- $2,500.00 to fix a problem that Yamaha is responcible for!

I concidered trading for the updated (06 - 07) version but I really have a problem "rewarding" Yami for not taking care of their customers!

I decided to let Yami spend there own money to fix this thing. Now I realize it will probably happen again.

Now, I may consider trading it on another brand or I may keep it until it starts ticking again. At that time I'll paint it yellow and make a point to visit all of the FJR owners meetings. If I do that, I will never sell it (except to Yamaha for full reimbursment)!

Roadhound

Yamaha applied their "band aid" to my '05 FJR over a year ago and 30k miles later it is running strong and silent.
The newer valve guide seals work.

Believe me, I hope you are right but the fact that Yamaha redesigned the guides so extremely for the new bikes that it required an update to the head "only" to accept the redesigned guides may be a hidden message from Yamaha! Think of it this way! If Yamaha was totally confident that the replacement guides and new seals in your bike and mine was the answer to this problem, why would they spend the money to redesign another guide AND make machining changes to what is actually the same head.

Again, I hope you are right but on the motocycle registery there are FJRs that started ticking at 3,000 miles to about 60,000 miles.

I know some may think I should "shut up and just ride it or sell it"! I now realize that that is the attitude Yamaha is counting on for their "bandaid" to be successful!

Roadhound

Roadhound - you worry a lot about "what ifs", don't you?

There are only two attitudes that apply to this issue and they both involve "what ifs"!

1) As you discribe is the "worried" attitude as in; "What if" Yamaha has indicated that the REAL fix is in the new design and they will depend on owner enthusiasm and their "bread crums" good will to stall a real compensation to this problem. You are correct! I fall in this camp!

2) Is the "checks in the mail" or "depend" attitude as in; "What if" Yamaha really fixed the problem with the redesigned seals and the fact that Yamaha has made a change to the 06 & 07 guides that were so drastic that it required different machining to the head, is only a coincident.

FJRMGM, you "depend" a lot on "what ifs", don't you? Hey man, again, I hope you are right and the check is in the mail on this one! But the truth is that niether of these attitudes would exist if Yami would quit playing this cat-and-mouse game and communicate with there customers on this issue. "What if" there were no forums like these for owners to become aware that this problem was wide spread. Do you think Yamaha would have addressed it at all? There are probably two camps fot that one as well!

Roadhound

It's been reported that some have had tick repairs that included a new engine head rather than just replacing parts on the old head. If my valves began to tick I'd likely request a new head which would include the revised exhaust valve guides.

Yamaha is no different than any other manufacturer in this respect - if you think so, go to www.st-owners.com and see how Honda handles issues.

I agree! That is a fact! The difference makers are us!

I had a 99' H-D Roadking that was recalled for a cam bearing replacement. When they changed it it was an upgraded bearing and plate, upgraded oilpump, lifters,etc. The bearing problems practically disappeared. Do you think H-D has better engineers than Yamaha? Do you think good ole H-D is a more "friendly" company than Yamaha? Do you think H-D's willingness to "successfully" address their issue was influenced by the pending litigation at that time? Let me answer those question: Nope! Nah! Hell yes!

Nobody likes the "Class Action" word, but I can't help but think that Yamaha is too comfortible with this subject with the way it has been poo-pooed on this and other forums since the inseption of this problem. If I am not mistaken, Honda fixed all those Gold Wing frames with a little litigation pressure. Just like H-D, they never went to court! They never will when someone else is prepaired to!

Roadhound

Roadhound, aside from what parts Friendly used to make the repair, did they do a good job putting everything back together OK, any dings or scratches, things left loose ect. Just curious about their quality of work.

Roadhound, aside from what parts Friendly used to make the repair, did they do a good job putting everything back together OK, any dings or scratches, things left loose ect. Just curious about their quality of work.

I don't know just yet. I had two funerals to attend last week when they called me.

You were right about how clean they keep the shop. Other than them not contacting me, as I requested, before they ordered the parts, they seem very professional.

I'll let you know when I pick it up later this week.

Roadhound

--> "If my valves began to tick I'd likely request a new head which would include the revised exhaust valve guides. "

It's not your call unless you pay for it. The replace the valve guides and seals - but not with the '06 and up model.

It's been reported that some have had tick repairs that included a new engine head rather than just replacing parts on the old head. If my valves began to tick I'd likely request a new head which would include the revised exhaust valve guides.

Yamaha replaced some heads for inspection. After they got what they wanted to see they discontinued the head replacement. I got intake and exhaust replaced, I don't know why, they just did. runs great, 8000 miles since repair.

Hey neighbor. Where did you take your bike for the ticker fix? And were you happy with their work?

I'm starting to think mine may be a ticker :unsure:

I'm still looking for that shop to love :heart:

I rode mine maybe 15,000 miles after diagnosed for the tick. I seemed to use a little oil the last few changes before I took it in to be fixed. The #4 cylinder was the worst with carbon buildup and oil leakage. I can't remember as the condition differences between the other three, except the normal wasn't normal on mine. Maybe because of the miles driven after the diagnoses. Mine started way early around the 4000 mile mark.

I found this thread late. I'm in Baton Rouge and have used Friendly. In fact, if yours is the one with cruise, custom seat (Sargent?), and XM mount, I saw it sitting outside after your repair.

My 05 started ticking with about 2500 miles. I heard it about a week after buying it- first time I rode without a helmet. At 19,000 miles, Friendly fixed it last month. No muss, no fuss, no argument. Mechanic (Mike) is a good guy and a great wrench. The service manager is a space cadet though. When he asked what I thought was wrong, and I told him exhaust valve guides, he said- "Where'd you hear that, the INTERNET."

Uh-oh. But he took the bike in and Mike took it from there. I had the bike back in 2 1/2 weeks.

I'm a happy camper and would recommend Friendly. Parts people are great, too.

Jim/jonesin'

I found this thread late. I'm in Baton Rouge and have used Friendly. In fact, if yours is the one with cruise, custom seat (Sargent?), and XM mount, I saw it sitting outside after your repair.
My 05 started ticking with about 2500 miles. I heard it about a week after buying it- first time I rode without a helmet. At 19,000 miles, Friendly fixed it last month. No muss, no fuss, no argument. Mechanic (Mike) is a good guy and a great wrench. The service manager is a space cadet though. When he asked what I thought was wrong, and I told him exhaust valve guides, he said- "Where'd you hear that, the INTERNET."

Uh-oh. But he took the bike in and Mike took it from there. I had the bike back in 2 1/2 weeks.

I'm a happy camper and would recommend Friendly. Parts people are great, too.

Jim/jonesin'
Yep that was mine. Yours must have been the 04 they were working on before mine. When they called to tell me it was ready, I told them that I couldn't pick it up until next week due to a death in my wifes family.

When going over the bike, I noticed a scratch on top of the tank. After talking to the service manager to see if they had anything that could polish it out, I realized that I was talking to a "marshmellow"! Disgusted, I took my keys and left!

I washed and waxed the thing the other day and it improved it but its still there. Oh well, its not ticking anymore and I didn't have to pay for it. I hope Mike did a good job with the motor!

Roadhound

Latest posts