Tight U turn with electronic clutch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right where you want to swing the bike around grab a handful of front brake and let the throttle rip. Once the back tire starts spinning you can swing it in any direction you want and control forward motion with the front brake. Takes some practice though.

Right where you want to swing the bike around grab a handful of front brake and let the throttle rip. Once the back tire starts spinning you can swing it in any direction you want and control forward motion with the front brake. Takes some practice though.
Hold my beer and watch this ^^^^^^^^

Whenever I try that on my '14, it ends up on its side, with me mumbling something about forgetting to turn off the traction control :( .

I appreciate all the input. From what I'm reading, the consensus is that use some revs, above 1300 (like I'd have time to look t the tach) to keep the clutch engaged, while using the rear brake to control speed and lean angle. Is there anyone riding an AE that uses this technique?
yes. I've got an '08 though and it definitely is easier to modulate (??) the throttle than the 2 '07s I "test" rode.

no clue what the r's are, but yes-keep in a little throttle, and yes put in a little rear brake and use it to control your speed.

and if you forget to keep the throttle in, yes, you will notice it very quickly when the clutch engages.

As said prior, slightly drag the rear brake with a small amount of throttle. Practice this with getting your balance down. You won't even think about it after awhile.

I highlighted "balance" cuz that's 90% of this technique.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hold my beer and watch this ^^^^^^^^
I practice this all the time with the WR450F in sand. The advanced variation is to stand the bike up on the rear wheel and pivot the bike on the rear wheel. It usually ends badly when I've tried it on the dirt bike.

I appreciate all the input. From what I'm reading, the consensus is that use some revs, above 1300 (like I'd have time to look t the tach) to keep the clutch engaged, while using the rear brake to control speed and lean angle. Is there anyone riding an AE that uses this technique?
Yep, works for me after some safe practice.

Do not do slow turns without a lot of practice...

Even with throttle mods ..it is tough

If you want all the advantages of a electronic clutch, you must accept the challenges of slow, tight turns

No need to look at the tach (use the force Luke).
laugh.gif