Time for a new jacket

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kromm

Reaction score
My Leather jacket that has seen many miles has finally given up on me. The Zipper busted and wont zip closed. I have been thinking of getting a new textile jacket for a couple of years, but have been putting it off because the leather one was broke in real nice and comfy. I have been looking around on the web at jackets and have seen some I like from Tour Master, First Gear, and Joe Rocket. I was just wondering if there were any recommendations from anyone out there.

Thanks......

I'm a fan of Fieldsheer. I recently bought an Aqua Sport and like it a lot. It is waterproof and very warm in cold weather....however, the same thing that makes it waterproof makes it very hot in anything over 75 degrees. So I ended up getting a Moto Morph, as well - it is one of those convertible jackets that zips off the shell to expose a mesh jacket underneath. I'll probably end up using the Aqua sport in Spring and Fall, and the Moto Morph during the season when it is colder in mornings/evenings but hot during the day.

Both of these models are being sold at pretty low prices at competition accessories:

Aqua Sport

Moto Morph

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an Olympia Airglide 2 and really like it. It's warm and waterproof with the liner and really moves air through it without the liner.

Linky

In case you're wondering that is me in the pictures. ;)

Good reading....

It ain't cheap, but pales in comparison to the hassle of road rash....
+1! Even if that makes me an "equipment Nazi".

Someplace in there "reading" is a testimony about my KLR get-off. No road rash and no damage to the jacket....except by the EMTs...and that is repaired.

I changed from a First Gear Kilimanjaro. I have the zip in rain liner and the insulated liner (which you could eliminate if you already have warm clothing or electric gear).

ORRRrrrrr....you could purchase another leather jacket. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
My Leather jacket that has seen many miles has finally given up on me. The Zipper busted and wont zip closed. I have been thinking of getting a new textile jacket for a couple of years, but have been putting it off because the leather one was broke in real nice and comfy. I have been looking around on the web at jackets and have seen some I like from Tour Master, First Gear, and Joe Rocket. I was just wondering if there were any recommendations from anyone out there.
Thanks......
I recently replaced all my gear with Rev'it!

https://www.beachmoto.com

I would also recommend reading the reviews of various gear at

www.webbikeworld.com

Happy shopping :yahoo: :yahoo: !

Best Regards,

Shane

You may want to consider a Vanson if your into a super high end leather piece. Made right here in the U. S. A.

I have a Vanson with perforated front for ventilation purposes.

My other jacket is a teknic Stinger. A great all purpose piece with lots of armour and zip in liner.

I've had a Firstgear MeshTex for about 3 years now and probably have only rode a couple of times without it. It was about $130 and comes with a removable rain liner, removable shoulder, elbow and back armor. It's a ballistic poly mesh so it's completely breathable. I have worn it on the hottest Mississippi days and didn't have to worry about sun or windburn. :yahoo:

Both of my parents have Firstgear jackets and I just got the wife a Firstgear Contour Mesh jacket as well. After her first ride, she was very impressed as well. Time will tell if she likes as much as I like mine.

If you like the leather I'd stick with it. Nothing better for going down then dead cow on your bod.

I have textile jackets and hope never to find out how it works. I have gone down in leather and it totally saved my bod from any abrasion what so ever.

That being said.... I have a Tourmaster Transition Series II jacket. I like it a lot it gets a little hot for me in late spring. It's fairly warm in the winter, and it fits well and lots of storage and vents.

Some cons - It's some times too hot in upper 70's to 80's temp; The neck collar doesn't seal well around the neck to keep out cold air, that's just the way it's designed, kind of low cut so to speak; not enough venting on the lower arm area, it's only vented at the shoulder and upper arm.

I really liked my old Fieldsheer jacket, not as many vents but the arm vent at the elbow was awesome it rammed air up my arm and kept me cool. It was very warm in the winter, and had great high neck collar seal. I got rid of it only to get a bright yellow jacket.

Good luck on which ever way you decide.

I'd rather go down the road in Kevlar from Motoport than leather. And I have been down the road plenty in leather...

That being said.... I have a Tourmaster Transition Series II jacket. I like it a lot it gets a little hot for me in late spring. It's fairly warm in the winter, and it fits well and lots of storage and vents.
Some cons - It's some times too hot in upper 70's to 80's temp; The neck collar doesn't seal well around the neck to keep out cold air, that's just the way it's designed, kind of low cut so to speak; not enough venting on the lower arm area, it's only vented at the shoulder and upper arm.
A fact that should be noted in any further discussion...

Kromm lives in California's central valley where the Summer temps are over 100 degrees, Spring and Fall temps can hover in the 80s.

Good reading....

It ain't cheap, but pales in comparison to the hassle of road rash....
+1! Even if that makes me an "equipment Nazi".

Someplace in there "reading" is a testimony about my KLR get-off. No road rash and no damage to the jacket....except by the EMTs...and that is repaired.

I changed from a First Gear Kilimanjaro. I have the zip in rain liner and the insulated liner (which you could eliminate if you already have warm clothing or electric gear).

ORRRrrrrr....you could purchase another leather jacket. ;)
+2 on all except haven't had the pleasure of testing it yet :rolleyes:

The jacket (mesh) by itself without any liners is great warm/hot weather gear. In the past I've gone through many textile jackets & always found them wanting in warm weather - even the Joe Rocket mesh (I never felt it offered enough protection).

Thanks for all the reply's.. and Info..

Madmike has it right , in the summer it hits 100+ (and most spring and fall days are 80+) My leather even with the vents gets VERY warm. That's why I am thinking of a textile jacket, something that has a lot of ventilation or mesh with a liner. I may even look into having a zipper put in my leather jacket for the winter months and purchasing a "Spring/Summer/Fall" riding jacket. I have thought of Kevlar, but not sure if I can afford that right now. The wife is having some medical issues and with all the tests their running , it's kinda spendy..even with my insurance. But when I told her what happened with my Zipper on my jacket, she told me to look into getting a new one.

I think its pretty much unanimous, mesh + liners rock. Life is pretty damn fine when you can wear the same gear over a huge temperature range like that and still stay pretty dry when it rains. I've tried leather, even here in Northern Ontario, that stuff gets to hot. Regular textile is better but still lacks versatility when it gets hot out. I've been wearing my Tourmaster Intake/Air Caliber pants for over a year now in everything form sub-zero to 100+ temps. Amazing technology we have now.

My next set of gear will most likely be Olympia or Motoport. But that won't be until I really need it.

I've been wearing a Cortech GX Air mesh jacket for a couple of years. I haven't crash tested it, but so far I'm pleased with its performance. In fact, I recently picked one up for my wife (closeout-Iron Pony-$130). The liners make it good for 40~90+ deg riding and there is leather on the forearms, elbows, shoulders and back. They provide adjustment straps on the sleeves to keep the armor snug as you shed liners. The new version can be found for around $200~220. I can't speak for the new model, but the original ran a little large in respect to sizing.

This is probably the top of the line albeit rather expensive. I've had mine for 15 years with no complaints. Perhaps some of the PNWers know about them.

LANGLITZ LEATHERS

2443-A SE Division

Portland, Oregon 97202

Phone:503-235-0959

Fax:503-235-0049