Tinted Windshield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flagstaff

Reaction score
Are there any pluses or minuses to a lightly tinted windshield like the light gray Cee Bailey as compared to clear?

Thanks.

I have the Cee Bailey dark smoke -2H -3W I don't think you will have any problems with the light smoke, what size are you getting? if you get a super large like +6 or greater height and you look through it all the time you may not like it too much at night, but if you look over most of the time you should be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I should have added more information. I'm looking at the 21 tall with +2 width. I always look over the windshield.

If you always look over it, then it shouldn't be an issue. Even if you look through it when its only fully up, how often do you ride with it full-up at night?

Prolly all a non-issue. Get a tinted one and be happy!!

I have a CB lite gray tint +4/+3 for winter use. Love the slight tint and makes no difference vision wise. I had a dark gray CB +2/+2 and did not like it...something about no vision directly in front that I couldn't get used to.

YMMV

--G

Edit -- Have a pic if you're interested in the *look*. I'll have to hunt for it...

I prefer the tint as I prefer the reduced glare, and hasn't been an issue in night riding.

I have the tinted Rifle and also always look over the screen. I had a tinted Rifle on my Concours for something close to 80K+ mi. So, I put a tinted Rifle on the FJR as soon as I got the FJR (almost 4 yrs and 48K+ miles ago) - and still strongly prefer a lightly tinted over clear screen

I should have added more information. I'm looking at the 21 tall with +2 width. I always look over the windshield.
Flagstaff, I'm running this shield as you stated the dimensions, in OEM and Flip back and I don't have any problems, actually don't expect too much in the light tint. It's definitely nice but it won't be too dark...I like it, because it takes the glare of the sun away, which was key for me!

V

RPK

I recently installed the CB +4 +2 light smoke and can tell you the advantage of this screen is that it looks so damn good. Especially compared to the Cal Sci clear it replaced. You do know it's better to look good than to feel good don't you?

I have the CB +4+2 standard contour in light smoke. I look through it when fully up and have no problems day or night. It really is a very light tint that does not hinder sight through it at all.

The tinted one looks better. I have a 4+4 Cee Baileys on my 09. It is a barn door but it keeps the wind off and this is especially nice in colder climates. In your area I would consider a 2+2 or 2+0 where the first number is the height and the second number refers to the width compared to stock.

I am 6'0" so that gives you a comparison, but my seat is a Russell and lift me higher than stock. I think the reverse flip works great and I like my screen.

I run a full dark tinted screen and have the lowest 6" or so painted flat black to reduce headlight glare for moonshine runs. No problems. Go for it.

I have a CB +4+3 reverse flip in light grey tint on my fjr. No problem looking thru it day or night. They say on their website that the light grey tint is DOT approved for night riding. Normally I ride looking over the shield at about nose level or lower depending on speed. But if it is raining hard I put it up a little higher.

Long story, but I have a CB +4+2 reverse flip in light grey tint available to buy if interested. Brand new, never installed with gasket. Whatever CB is selling for less $50 plus actual shipping in the box I got it in. Let me know if interested.

Latest posts