Tire Change in Louisianna

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I am planning a ride in which I will need a new tire in the New Orleans area. (Actually a larger area)

Does anyone know of a dependable shop OR have a garage that I could ship a rear tire to and change it out in?

Thanks,

Tony

Last edited by a moderator:
Patriot is in NOLA - I'm going to check with him and get back to you.

By "larger area", could you elaborate? What is your expected path through LA?

I am giving this some thought. My last tire change here began badly and ended with a new "friendship" with the Service Manager.

Like my friend hppants, I would like to know some details regarding (roughly) when this may happen, how much time you may have to get the work done, and how close to New Orleans you will need the tire change.

I'd like to help. Or more appropriately, I'd like to stand and watch and get credit for helping.

Most likely the timing would be Sept 8. I will be finishing up a 200ccccc and coming from Jacksonville into Louisianna on I-10 and my destination will be to the end of the Mississipi river to start the Headwaters ride to Minnesota.

Being that it will be the END of a ride, I could use witnesses and there will be no hurry for the tire swap. I will probably do an overnight stay south of N.O. So basically any place in state is fine by me. I am even considering Monroe where I have a freind. The closer to I-10 the better though.

Oh, basically I would just need to use a torque wrench, I could carry the other tools with me. A dependable shop would be fine too. I have no problem with taking the bike in and having a shop do the swap when I am on the road. Witnesses would be nice regardless.

That ride will be nearly all "upright on slab".

Have you considered a CT on the rear, then it shouldn't need changing at all.

I will be starting with a set of tires that have 5k on them already. I usually get 15-18k on the rear,so at the end of the 200c.. The tires will be at 15k... But now I have obtained another week of vacation so I will be riding about 20k in September to and from various places !!! Time to start planning!

Hey Tony...good to touch base

there's a guy here in Metairie (New Orleans) very near to me who has a full blown shop adjacent to his house. he's a Senior mechanic for the local police bike unit as his full time job during the day, and an independent mechanic at night. He's the only tire guy I use. I keep fresh tires in my garage via mail order, and just call him on any day and leave a message, then bring the wheel to him around 6pm, he mounts and professionally balances the rim, and I'm home in 45 minutes. Then it's just installing the wheel back on.

you are more than welcome to come by as needed, pull into my garage, and you could have fresh tire(s) in 2 hrs. you can also stay at the Oliver Palace as long as you want including overnight.
(hope you like hound dogs)

if I can help you out, just let me know

I'll PM my contact info

Mike

Hey Tony...good to touch base
there's a guy here in Metairie (New Orleans) very near to me who has a full blown shop adjacent to his house. he's a Senior mechanic for the local police bike unit as his full time job during the day, and an independent mechanic at night. He's the only tire guy I use. I keep fresh tires in my garage via mail order, and just call him on any day and leave a message, then bring the wheel to him around 6pm, he mounts and professionally balances the rim, and I'm home in 45 minutes. Then it's just installing the wheel back on.

you are more than welcome to come by as needed, pull into my garage, and you could have fresh tire(s) in 2 hrs. you can also stay at the Oliver Palace as long as you want including overnight.

(hope you like hound dogs)

if I can help you out, just let me know

I'll PM my contact info

Mike
Wow Mike-

It is great to hear from you! My plans are getting tossed and turned on an hourly basis.

I will be through Louisianna (4 times) if all goes well. I am also planning an in state visit. It would be

cool to catch up with the LA riders for some back roads and maybe a bite to eat!

Lets keep in touch and get together'

-Tony

"....It would be cool to catch up with the LA riders for some back roads and maybe a bite to eat!...."

This sounds great, but I'd like to know your exact date(s) and locations/routes - as far as you know them. I can plan us a nice "back road" route for just about anywhere in the State, but we don't want to ride 200 miles out of your way.

My delusions of grandeur keep telling me that I'm going to be able to take a 10-14 day trip out West in early September. The likelihood is that this is not going to happen. However, perhaps a couple of days with some FJR buddies in my neck of the woods could work???

Fair warning - it's hot now, man. I'm talking "Holy Hell, how do ya'll live in this sauna" kind of hot. Save all of your rants on "I've been through the desert. Oh yeah?? - well, I've sat on a lit BBQ!!! Oh yeah??? Well - I've touched the Sun!!!" bullshit. You ain't seen this kind of heat much. It only gets to about 95 in the day, but with 70-80% humidity, the air is heavy and it sits on you like a weighted vest as you ride. Your breath in your helmet is considered air conditioning. Just for kicks, the FJR blast your legs like an acetylene torch down low. We will actively seek out summer showers and ride toward them like an oasis in the sand. It's wonderful - just "peachy".

I'm used to it - I'll ride wit ya regardless.

Cheers!

hppants, do remember that our long riding friend lives in an area with very similar weather. He lives in Florida. That is like Louisiana, but different... No twisty bayous with twisty roads alongside, the average age is 94, the food is just ordinary... At least he has Howie.

FWIW I was all fired up about participating in this to the point of talking with you about your tire tools since I thought you were going to be in Colorado but then his plans changed. I remain on Hot Stand-By but work may well interfere. If he is still doing a Mississippi River Run of some sort I still would not mind being a witness in Venice. IF, I say IF I can get off from work and I am not otherwise (motorcycle) occupied.

101... apologies for calling you out on the weather. Obviously, you've seen your share of earthly saunas.

Colorado is slowly fading away. Every day, something comes up that triggers that little white dude in my imagination to tell me "Don't do it Don't go - you're gonna regret it.". Of course, the little red dude next to him keeps egging the shit on - "F-em - go for it. You can do it!"

The white dude is gonna win on this one....

<<The white dude is gonna win on this one....>>
you racist
jester.gif

If all goes well I will be on a trip with Dad the entire week prior to that. I cannot firmly commit to any riding days as I will be fortunate to get the vacation for the week before. We will see.