Tire Group Buy research...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdisher

formerly Renegade, get used to it.
Reaction score
Ok.

I pretty much swore to myself that after the 905 group buy I'd never do it again. But...

On my last ride I ran into some really great guys (Cycle Crazy) in NC. They took care of me during my time of need and didn't rake me over the coals.

I briefly chatted with him about setting up a group buy.

I'm assuming PR2's are the most desired so I'm getting pricing for sets of those, delivered in the lower 48 states.

What other tires would are of interest and what type of pricing are we looking for?

My plan is to beat SWMoto/Derby Cycles, etc. as this is intended to be a 'group buy' and should afford a little better pricing IMHO. (nothing against either of those and I've patronized them both).

-MD

I might be interested in a set of PR2s if the price is right.

I have fresh skins on the bike at the mo, but hey, you gotta stay stocked up!

And the PR2's would be the ones I'd wanna try next.

Or if you could find some close-out Stradas at a rockin' good price I'd bite for those too.

Ok.
I pretty much swore to myself that after the 905 group buy I'd never do it again. But...

On my last ride I ran into some really great guys (Cycle Crazy) in NC. They took care of me during my time of need and didn't rake me over the coals.

I'm assuming PR2's are the most desired so I'm getting pricing for sets of those, delivered in the lower 48 states.

What other tires would are of interest and what type of pricing are we looking for?

My plan is to beat SWMoto/Derby Cycles, etc. as this is intended to be a 'group buy' and should afford a little better pricing IMHO. (nothing against either of those and I've patronized them both).

-MD

I'd be interested in PR2's

PR2s for me too!! Can I get mine by say next week?? :blink:

I'm tire shopping right now but I'll need another set sometime, so I'm interested.

I pretty much swore to myself that after the 905 group buy I'd never do it again.
It's over? I never got any yet.
wink.gif

I am in for the PR2's
$250 shipped sounds good! :) See if that is doable.
2247302-plus1.gif

PR2s for me too!! Can I get mine by say next week?? blink.gif
That's uh, highly unlikely ;) But I would suggest giving Matt a call at Cycle Crazy... www.cyclecrazy.com (828)421-5829 Tell him you're from the FJR forum and wish to order early :)

$250 shipped sounds good! smile.gif See if that is doable.
I think that will be tough, we're not close to that in negotiations yet, but the more we have the better. Which is why I tossed this out there.

RE: Crashbars: It's over? I never got any yet.
I will hopefully see the 905 crew at motoGP at Indy and hope to get some resolution on the Gen 1 bars. If you paid for them but havn't gotten them ask Stephanie for a refund until they are ready.

I put on my PR2 front from the last group buy 4000 mi ago, and am waiting for my rear BT021 to wear out (app.1500 mi more) so I can get the new rear on. I would still be interested in new PR2's if the price was about the same as the last buy ($275 shipped).

Ok.

-MD
PR2's for me too. Will need to mount them next spring, but I think I can keep them fresh until then.

I paid $293 delivered recently. Thought that was a decent price. However, before you give the supplier any price target, like $250, ask him for a quote. In fact, ask several for a quote. When negotiating, you always want the other guy to name his price first, then go from there. Once you put that $250 target out there, the supplier will only try to get more than that. Who knows, with some creative negotiating, we might get below $200!

Here are some of my thoughts on negotiating a deal like this...

1. Sales gotta be slow right now. We are midway through the riding season. I would think that more tires are purchased early in the riding season. Also, the economy sux. Some riders are putting off their tire purchases as long as possible so they can keep food on the table.

2. Petrochemicals are a major raw material component. Oil prices are falling right now.

3. Group buys are easy-peezy business. The supplier only has to take one order, pass it along to the distributor and issue one invoice to the group that is pretty well guaranteed to be paid without delay.

4. We should be able to get a discount for cash. Credit card paying customers cost the merchant an extra 1.5% or more.

5. Be sure to mention the possibility of additional group buys for helmets, jackets, gloves, lubricants and other products the supplier carries. I think he should know that if we find a partner we can trust for the long term there is the possibility of future business.

6. Another advantage of group buys is that he does not have to pay the cost of holding inventory for us. Our orders will be passed directly up to the distributor. Consequently, because our order does not represent any overhead, we should not have to pay his overhead costs. There's another 10 - 20%. Let the guys who buy stuff one-at-a-time pay those costs.

7. Make sure to get several bids. Might find that one guy who is really hungry.

These are not secrets. These are facts that good dealers will already know.