Tire Life and Pressure

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Klark

I understand everyone's experience on this will vary tremendously based on where they live and how they drive but...... I'm still on my first set of tires and have no idea how long they will last.

I have a new 2015 with 3k miles on it.

I got in January, 2017. So it was already 2 years old.

I road it 800 miles home and then went on tour in the first of May.

The tire looks really good but....... I'm prepping for 6-7K trip in July.

I'm planning to do this in two weeks so I don't want to have to stop for new tires.

I haven't read anything about tires for the FJR that is recent (last 2-3 years)

Do the OEM Bridgestones tires wear faster towards the end of their life?

I normally get half again more wear on the front, should I just replace the rear before my trip?

I normally would be looking at getting 8-10K out the back and about 12-13K out of the front.

But the FJR is heavier and much more powerful than my old GS.

Any recommendations on replacement tire model/brand?

My front feels pretty stiff at parking lot speeds, is it common to run more than the 36 PSI in the front wheel?

Thanks
punk.gif

Get new tires before your trip. Trust me on this.

Yes they wear faster towards the end. Way faster.

There are hundreds of posts regarding tires on this forum. There was also a survey of several hundred members and their tire preferences. Suggest you do a search of the forum and do some reading. The above advice to get new tires before the trip is very wise.

"is it common to run more than the 36 PSI in the front wheel? "

Sounds low to me, perhaps Gen 3s are different but I normally run the front at 41/42 psi YMMV

The OEM tires, at least on my 2014, were crap when they were fresh and new. And they got worse quickly, wearing progressively faster, which got me to actual quality rubber faster. Bike was a pig with the originals. 40/40 is the normal pressure that folks run. Some a little higher, some ever so slightly lower. Run lower, and, in my experience, you'll see wear on the front much sooner than you would at 40.

I understand everyone's experience on this will vary tremendously YOU ARE WRONG HERE. MOST OF US AGREE ON A SELECT LIST OF GOOD TIRES, IN PART BECAUSE OF THE EXISTENCE OF THIS FORUM. based on where they live and how they drive but...... I'm still on my first set of tires and have no idea how long they will last. ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE.
I have a new 2015 with 3k miles on it. NOT EVEN WARMED UP YET.

I got in January, 2017. So it was already 2 years old.

I road it 800 miles home and then went on tour in the first of May.

The tire looks really good but....... I'm prepping for 6-7K trip in July. GOOD. MOTOR NEEDS TO GET BROKE IN. THAT SHOULD JUST ABOUT DO IT.

I'm planning to do this in two weeks so I don't want to have to stop for new tires. THE DARKSIDE IS CALLING CLICKY HERE

I haven't read anything about tires for the FJR that is recent (last 2-3 years) REASON BEING: WE BEAT THIS SUBJECT TO DEATH. MOST OF THE TIRES THAT WE'VE TESTED AND COME TO RESPECT ARE STILL BEING SOLD, SO WHY CONTINUE POSTING UP NEW INFO???

Do the OEM Bridgestones tires wear faster towards the end of their life? YUP. ONCE THE FRONT STARTS SCALPING, IT BEATS ITSELF TO DEATH. THE BACK BECOMES A VICTIM OF YOUR LUST FOR ACCELERATION. QUESTION: HOW BAD IS IT?

I normally get half again more wear on the front, should I just replace the rear before my trip? YOU WON'T HAVE TO, BUT YOU WILL WISH YOU DID. YOU CAN SLAP IT BACK ON WHEN YA GET HOME.

I normally would be looking at getting 8-10K out the back and about 12-13K out of the front. NOT ON THE FACTORY TIRES. HAIN'T GONNA HAPPEN. YOUR TALKING HIGH SPEEDS AT HIGH TEMPS IN JULY. GET SOME REAL TIRES BEFORE YOUR TRIP.

But the FJR is heavier and much more powerful than my old GS. YOU FORGOT MORE RELIABLE, SMOOTHER, MORE COMFORTABLE, MORE PREDICTABLE, AND THE BEST PART OF ALL, MUCH MORE INFO AND FEEDBACK AVAILABLE ON THIS FORUM.

Any recommendations on replacement tire model/brand? YUP. WE HAVE SEVERAL. PERHAPS THE MOST POPULAR IS THE MICHELIN PR2. THERE IS GOOD REASON FOR THIS. IT MAY NOT BE THE ABSOLUTE BEST TIRE OUT THERE, BUT THE PRICE IS RIGHT. IF EXTENDED MILES ARE YOUR GOAL, IT WILL GET THE JOB DONE.

My front feels pretty stiff at parking lot speeds, RECOMMEND YOU REWORD THIS. NOT WISE GIVEN THE NUMBER OF WISE GUYS WE HAVE LURKING... is it common to run more than the 36 PSI in the front wheel? YOU CAN'T HAVE IT BOTH WAYS. HIGH PRESSURE PREVENTS SCALPING. MOST GUYS RUN RIGHT AT THE MAXIMUM. AND YES IT WILL RIDE STIFFER. YA JUST LEARN TO LIVE WITH IT, UNLESS OF COURSE YOU LIKE THE FEEL OF A SCALPED UP TIRE.

WANT SOME GREAT ADVICE FROM THE GUY WHO RIDES MORE FJR MILES THAN ANY OF US? JUST PM TONY (101stpathfinder) ABOUT WHAT TIRES HE USES. ASK HIM ABOUT HIS SECRET FOR GETTING MAX MILES OUT OF THEM. HE ROUTINELY GETS DOUBLE THE NUMBERS YOU QUOTED ABOVE FROM HIS TIRES.
Thanks
punk.gif
JER WELCOME.

GARY

DARKSIDER #44

Last edited by a moderator:
You showed great restraint Gary. No mention of going to the Darkside...... signature lines excluded, of course.
rolleyes.gif

You showed great restraint Gary. No mention of going to the Darkside...... signature lines excluded, of course.
rolleyes.gif
Restraint: I didn't learn that here. Besides, it's not Friday yet...

Darkside: thanks for the reminder. I did some editing and reposted.

Gotta love Gary's response.

In a nutshell... Get Michelin PR4's before a long trip. Pump them up to 40/42. I aim for about 8k-10k and change them both. (I don't always make my goal).
rolleyes.gif

Well, I won't recommend PR4s. Not a fan, but get whatever makes you happy. Do not expect to get more than 7.5k out of a set if tires, if you ride hard. That always varies. DO NOT leave on a trip with used tires. You will regret it. Ask me how I know!

To prevent weird tire wear, run about 41 lbs front, and 43 lbs rear. Plus or minus a little bit, depending on weight and comfort.

Well, I won't recommend PR4s. Not a fan, but get whatever makes you happy. Do not expect to get more than 7.5k out of a set if tires, if you ride hard. That always varies. DO NOT leave on a trip with used tires. You will regret it. Ask me how I know!
To prevent weird tire wear, run about 41 lbs front, and 43 lbs rear. Plus or minus a little bit, depending on weight and comfort.
You mean like the time you and Tom showed up at my place with bald tires.
rolleyes.gif

I always try to start any longer trip with fresh rubber. Save the take offs for day rides around home.

Well, I won't recommend PR4s. Not a fan, but get whatever makes you happy. Do not expect to get more than 7.5k out of a set if tires, if you ride hard. That always varies. DO NOT leave on a trip with used tires. You will regret it. Ask me how I know!To prevent weird tire wear, run about 41 lbs front, and 43 lbs rear. Plus or minus a little bit, depending on weight and comfort.
You mean like the time you and Tom showed up at my place with bald tires. :rolleyes:

I always try to start any longer trip with fresh rubber. Save the take offs for day rides around home.
Yes, exactly like that. I'd blame myself for being an idiot, but it's funny that Tom and I both left our houses, knowing we had miles on those tires, and thought the same thing, "I have plenty of rubber to last this trip." Those tires taught us. They felt good, but wore too fast.

Then there was the RS-2 fiasco in Utah/Arizona. I'll never leave on used rubber again!

New tires before you leave. You can save the old ones and put them on again later if you need to (or give them to a friend who needed them). PR4 GT's are OK. Long mileage for the most part and good in wet weather. Not bad handling when new, but the front is prone to cupping. IMO the PR2's were better, although less mileage, but they are no longer made. You can find them, but they are old stock and it might be better to stay away. Check this forum for tire discussions and you will find a few of brands do well. In the end, I wouldn't go for cheap tires, you generally get what you pay for and these bikes can be hard on tires.

i always put on new tires before a trip, and bring another set with in the truck with the bike on the trailer, lol

i'm a 3-5k mile tire guy running pr4 gt.

i have ran out of new tires in under 2 weeks in the smokies, days or a week in arkansas...........