Tire recommendations

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Short update on Michelin Road 5 tires. Just returned from a week's ride and now have 6500 miles on the Road 5's. When the tires were mounted I measured the tread depth at 8/32 on rear and 5/32 on front. After 6500 miles I measured 3/32 on front and 5/32 on rear. Both tires are wearing very evenly with no cupping or flat centers. At this rate of wear I anticipate getting minimum 13000 miles on this set.

i'm tempted by the bridgestones t-31 because with the rebate they are a decent value proposition.

then again, i have pirelli angel-gts front and rear and they have been good to me.

save money and try new.

stay steady with what you know works.

is that truly the choice presented by life?

thumbs up.

rob

Don't know about the T-31s but I've tried many tires and the T-30 GTs were my fave. Rock solid in the wet or dry; long miles; smooth and quiet while rolling.

I started an inquiry thread asking about the T31 GT vs normal T31 a week or so ago.

I did 100 miles or so breaking in the T31 GT on Angeles Crest Highway and Angeles Forest Highway this morning (twisty roads). I'm very happy with my purchase and will probably score another set from Chaparral via the price-match to the RMATV price. These are pretty darn good tires at $190 a set, if you ask me!

I also have a set of non-GT in reserves because I've been planning on getting a lighter bike. I also considered using them on the FJR after the GTs are done, for comparison sake.

Based on my experience with the GT, I'll probably reload on them. I was worried the stiffer sidewall would be unpleasant for my riding style (I was not a huge fan of the PR4GT). Turns out my concerns were not justified. There is virtually no price difference; actually, the GT were a couple bucks cheaper.

Better late than never. Recently, mounted a set of Michelin Road 5s and they are almost wore out at ~4K miles. Really? I keep the pressures in spec. Has anyone else seen high wear rates? Thanks!

"Spec" inflation to us is 40-44 psi, not what's printed on the sidewall. (Yes, every day FJR riders experience over-inflation blowouts so powerful that they register on California seismographs.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Better late than never. Recently, mounted a set of Michelin Road 5s and they are almost wore out at ~4K miles. Really? I keep the pressures in spec. Has anyone else seen high wear rates? Thanks!
Hud is correct, saying "at spec" is useless. What pressures did you run? Also, where in SC are you? The Upstate roads seem ok but the Peedee & Lowcountry roads are brutal on tires. I think they're using ground oyster shells again.....