tire wear?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulldog777

Reaction score
How many miles can you get on tires if you are not aggressively ripping curves? Someone mentioned fjr's being "tire eaters". What's the scoop on this?

Say...if you were only commuting...boy am I putting a bulls eye on this question.. :)

This will end up in NEPERT bt the answer depends on what tires you use and how you use them. I have seen mileage range from less than 3500 miles for soft compound tires and the OEM Bridgestone 021, to between 10 and 15K miles for Pilot road 2 and 3. The FJR is a fast heavy bike, and it does wear tires relatively fast. In truth, my results have been pretty similar to other heavy cruisers and touring machines.

Yes indeed, just about that many :D

Somewhere between 2500 and 12,000

YMMV.... literly

OK, I get about 10,000 on PR3's rear, maybe 12-14,000 front. 42-44 psi even throttle medium load

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep in mind also that the bike wears the same tires (by size) as some bikes 200 pounds lighter. As an example, my brother's VTR-1000 Superhawk wears the same size tires at each end and is 225 pounds lighter.

I had the old style concours(zg1000) before the fjr never any better than 7000 for a set last set on fjr was 10,000 so I dont think it is a tire

eater.

As said before in this thread, the right wrist is directly related to tire wear........as an example.....do you snap your throttle open,.... or roll it open,..... or any variation in between? That's why guestamtion is kind of pointless, cause everyone is different :dntknw: ......so there you go..........an answer that's not a answer :eek:

As said before in this thread, the right wrist is directly related to tire wear........as an example.....do you snap your throttle open,.... or roll it open,..... or any variation in between? That's why guestamtion is kind of pointless, cause everyone is different :dntknw: ......so there you go..........an answer that's not a answer :eek:
It is kind of fun to "lighten" the front end. Good for the front tire, not so much for the rear. :yahoo:

I've had Avon Storms wear out faster from the slab, then from the corners! They flatten out quick especially when the roads are hot.

Then I have to stay in the canyons for awhile leaned over to even them out! :yahoo:

So lets see... Road surface

Temperature

Speed

Loaded/bags on

Throttle habits

Braking

Attitude on any given day

4500 to 8500 on a rear and up to 10000 on the front.

Tires are cheaper than body parts, so you just gotta pick between sticky fun or less tire changes! I think the FJR has a rep for eating tires because it's soooo fun to ride, and can really get to it!

Yes indeed, just about that many :D

Somewhere between 2500 and 12,000

YMMV.... literly

OK, I get about 10,000 on PR3's rear, maybe 12-14,000 front. 42-44 psi even throttle medium load
Or 40k on the rear if you go to the dark side and put a car tire on it.

Go find the posting on "Going to the Dark Side" and learn more aboat it. Eh.

What makes an FJR a tire eater?

>600 lbs weight. - Yes the old Connie was heavier, and yes it was also a tire eater.

Suspension good enough to corner at high speeds, allowing larger lateral loading

1300cc engine with enough power to put some serious torque to the ground.

Loose nut behind the handlebars, twists the right hand thingee to get his jollies.

Let's stick to motorcycle tires that were designed to be run on this bike. About the best that you can expect for mileage is going to come (with some compromises) from a set of PR2 or PR3 Michelin multi compound tires. Depending a lot on the road surfaces you ride, the climate you are in, how much you load your bike, and that whole right hand twisty thing, you may get anywhere from ~5k miles to 15k miles from a set, with the average being somewhere in the middle.

Cars routinely get 50-60k miles from a set of 4 all season tires that cost ~$150 each. Granted, there are higher performance tires that will cost more, give better traction and wear out considerably faster. But just your typical all-season Goodyear is going to give you 60k miles on 4 x $150 = $10 per thousand miles.

A set of two PR2s will run you $300 and let's say that you are a good little boy and make them last you 10k miles, that is still $30 per thousand miles or three times more expensive than the car tires on a much bigger vehicle.

Don't forget the brake lever Fred.... in addition to all the above, tire pressures are also a factor. Running anything less than 40 front/42 rear will allow more heat build-up, which adds to tire wear. In my experiments, 44 rear will get you an extra 1000 or so, and at times run up to 42 front for the same reason. However, I lower the pressures a bit in the colder stuff.

Bottom line, you pick the tires that also suit your style. You want the right combo of grip and longevity if you're moderately aggressive, and ultimately you will pick what suits you. Lots of tire info here, PR2's are popular for a good compromise of grip and longevity. I personally like Metzeler Z6 Interacs for a bit more grip, but I won't get quite the mileage of a PR2. Rear tire problem now solved with a darksider.

Here's my PR2 rear at 11,897 miles:

52c80ecf.jpg

Obviously not canyon carving. Others have gotten more. I think there's a couple thousand more in this one. I may put it back on at some point to find out...

This will end up in NEPERT bt the answer depends on what tires you use and how you use them. I have seen mileage range from less than 3500 miles for soft compound tires and the OEM Bridgestone 021, to between 10 and 15K miles for Pilot road 2 and 3. The FJR is a fast heavy bike, and it does wear tires relatively fast. In truth, my results have been pretty similar to other heavy cruisers and touring machines.
exactly what I found - 4K for the OEM, 12K for the PR2, working on the PR3 now.

I have always stuck with the Metzeler Z6. Today I just slipped on a new Z8 to match the front. For some reason rear tires wear out and the front looks new. Might be that twisty thing? Im getting about 5000 rear. Most of it two up.

This bike eats oil too. Every 4k, I have to change the shit. Unbelievable!

Aw fuck...What??? This many posts and no one has brought up oil yet? Its fucking Friday evening and we're way too soft. Somebody's gotta get this party started!

So...Cover your tires in used oil. That will reduce friction and they'll last longer. If you actually try that, lemme know. I have a bridge for sale.

This bike eats oil too. Every 4k, I have to change the shit. Unbelievable!
No no. :nono: You don't have to change your oil every 4k miles. You just choose to. You can change your oil at any interval you want to.

I'll bet that tactic won't work so well with those black rubber hoops. ;)

But don't worry, Skooter should be along any moment to tell you how he used the same oil for 200k miles once... :p

Another aspect lending the FJR that reputation, is that the bike eats up miles easily. In other words, we can measure tires "per season" just as well as "miles per".