Tires and mileage

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just Plain Dave

Just Plain Dave
Reaction score
I have calculated the mileage on almost every tank of gas since owning my 2005. It has always been between 44mpg and 52mpg depending on the type of roads and speed. I fill at the same station, same pump, and to the same level in my tank every time I check it. At 10,500 I replaced my Metzeler Z4's with Michelin Pilot Roads. I have since gone through 2 tanks of gas and each one came out to almost exactly 40mpg. Has anyone else experienced this or has something else gone wacky? :blink:

I have calculated the mileage on almost every tank of gas since owning my 2005. It has always been between 44mpg and 52mpg depending on the type of roads and speed. I fill at the same station, same pump, and to the same level in my tank every time I check it. At 10,500 I replaced my Metzeler Z4's with Michelin Pilot Roads. I have since gone through 2 tanks of gas and each one came out to almost exactly 40mpg. Has anyone else experienced this or has something else gone wacky? :blink:

The firstr question that will be asked is your tire pressure- is it very low on your new tires? That could account for bad mileage.

J

Tire Pressure.

I just changed from the oem stones to pilots - with no difference in mpg.

My bike is very sensitive to tire pressure - I run at 42/42, and am showing 46 mpg on my current tank.

Once the pressure drops into the mid 30's, mileage drops to around 38 mpg.

Possibly I made the mistake of assuming that the Yamaha dealer would air the tires properly when I took the wheels to him to swap the tires for me. I just now checked them. The rear was at 37psi and the front was at 27psi. Maybe that's the problem. They are now at 42psi.

OBTW, I pulled the drive shaft. It had a small amount of grease on the last 1/4 inch of the splines and rust the rest of the way. I also have an oil spot on my pants because I was too stupid to know the little thingy on top of the pumpkin was an overflow valve (or at least I'm guessing that's what it is) and turned it upside down in my lap while inspecting it.

Cali just put in the oxygenates and my mileage went back to 40 from 45. Same where you're at? Either that, or it's some kinda commie plot. :dntknw:

You sure your not riding any differently since you got new tires? I ride a lot more aggressive once my new tires are worn in a little.

Mileage...whats that. I have never checked fuel mileage. When the fuel gauge starts blinking its time to fill up...I know what kind of mileage I get from tires...

Conti-Road Attacks-----2100 Won't buy them again :angry2:

Avon Azaro's---------3000-3500

Mich Pilot Roads-----3000-3500

Smitty :dribble:

Last edited by a moderator: