Too Smooth!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnBryer

Reaction score
I just had my 28K mile service/valve check done. Absolutley rock solid. Also had new plugs put in a little early while it was open and the throttle body sync.

The thing is now so damn smooth I forget what gear I'm in.

I'm running Wally's smoothness map and I think it's actually too smooth. Is there another map that will maybe be more fuel efficient?

How do your plugs look? at my 8k service, I think mine look a little too white, as in too lean. Haven't tried any adjustments or a PC3 yet.

I got 44 mpg over a 2200 mile trip. What's the mileage like with the PC3 and the wally map?

Just replaced my plugs today at 8950 miles.

Center electrode very slightly rounded. Gap still at .030" All were the same light tan color, with just a hint of carbon on the plugs. Carbon wiped off very easily. OEM plugs were Denso, went back in with standard NGK. Mileage always in the 44 - 46 range, up to 48 or so on long trips... After seeing these plugs, I'm a happy camper.... :rolleyes:

--G

What did the old plugs look like?  <_<
They're longish with white ceramic on one side and metal bits on the other.

Why? :bleh:
All joking aside, mine seems to indicate rather lean with stock setup. John's been running the PC3 with the Wally map and I would like to know what the plugs looked like after 4k miles with that setup.

I am at a crossroad with my FJR ownershit. my 05 is ticking at 7k miles. Sunnyside is going to fix it. My dilemma is do I sell and cut my losses on this POS or will it be reliable after the repair and should I invest in a PC3, CeeBailey shield, etc.

I am at a crossroad with my FJR ownershit. my 05 is ticking at 7k miles. Sunnyside is going to fix it. My dilemma is do I sell and cut my losses on this POS or will it be reliable after the repair and should I invest in a PC3, CeeBailey shield, etc.
You have to ask yourself... do I feel lucky? ... Well do you punk?

Yamaha thinks the new valve seals will fix this. It may, So ypu have to ask yourself... :huh:

I think Yamaha is smoking crack. There are a couple of instances of two time tickers. On top of the problems, this fucking bike is costing way too much to fit the intended mission.

Let's see: fix the FI with a PC3, more comfortable seat, fix the buffeting with a windshield, roast your shins in the heat, add your own heated grips, this is bullshit.

I guess I could live with the shortcomings if it wasn't for the TICK.

Well Velvet, I've shared some of your frustration, in that I expected this bike when new to be essentially ready to carve highway. Wrong answer, didn't happen. Lots of spendy farkling to do before the bike meets my long term needs. Got the essentials (for my taste) done already, and got the long warranty in case it ticks.

If you like riding the bike, fix the tick and keep it. If you want something less expensive, the Concours is still out there, with better fairing protection and heat ducting. But you have to give up a lot of HP to get the boringly reliable Connie. Do you care?

And just for the record, I have 3600 miles and have yet to achieve 40mpg, and I'm not out there racin' the thing. I couldn't care less about fuel mileage myself, but I can't help but wonder what's up with the 45 mpg guys. Leaner stock map? Never exceed 50 mph? Different stock maps in different bikes? It will be interesting to see how the plugs look when I pull them.

Best of luck with your tick fix, and future scoot, whatever it is.