top end rattle and stuttering on decel

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg 03

Reaction score
Well first my center stand collapsed now seems some mechanical gremlins are popping up. I've got some kind of top end rattle going on specifically around the left side of the bike that seems to get worse as it heats up. Seems to be most prevalent around 35-45 mph in 3rd or 4th gear. Also the other day on a warm ride back from Arkansas I had trouble with the engine stuttering and cutting out especially on decel although it also happened a few times when I was running as high as 70 on long straights. Thinking it may have been some crap gas I bought but not sure. Any ideas?

Mechanical rattle? Or knock type rattle under load at lower rpm's? Hard to say what you got without a better description. Did you try Seafoam in the tank to alleviate water in the fuel?

I always use lucas fuel treatment because it's supposed to fight the ethanol issues... the rattle almost sounds to me like my old monte carlo when it would get "lifter knock"

.....or the rattle of a camchain that's being ignored by a weak-sauce tensioner?
Would have thought the CCT noise would be on the right side but sounds are sometimes hard to pin down with respect to origin. The performance issues could be because its already skipped one tooth and could grenade anytime! Get it checked out.

It's definitely up high and on the left side as I'm riding the bike. Seems to go away at idle... The stuttering seemed to go away with a healthy dose of lucas and a tank full of premium gas. Rattle seems to be getting worse though.

Hmmm, '03, rattling noise, left side, getting worse... It may be time to think -- TICKER. Early FJRs had valve stem seals that were too tight causing oil starvation in the valve guides which led to valve guide and valve stem wear. The result was a 'rattling noise'. Once the wear gets bad enough to hear, oil is leaking down into the combustion chamber. Over time Yamaha determined one of the best diagnosis of the problem was to pull the exhaust header and look for traces of oil coating the header. Yamaha used to pick up the cost of removing the cylinder head and machining out the valve guides, then replacing the guides with slightly looser stem seals, new guides and new valves. If this is indeed the source of your rattling you will have to negotiate with Yamaha over picking up the cost. You can use a mechanics stethoscope to listen to the valve train, this will quickly rule out a ticker.

Ok, we have the worst case on the table. Now, do you know if the Throttle Position Sensor has been changed? The beginning of engine misfire because of the TPS wearing out *might* cause the noise you are hearing. The TPS is often temperature sensitive, only malfunctioning when hot and always at the same throttle opening without regard to gear or speed.

If the above and bad gas are ruled out there is an outside chance that the reed valves in the Air Injection System have carboned up and are stuck slightly open or the AIS solenoid is stuck open or has been unplugged. The AIS solenoid is normally open and has to be powered to close. The AIS is supposed to inject air into the exhaust stream only when the engine is cold or once warm, only at idle. This does indeed cause popping in the exhaust during deceleration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm, '03, rattling noise, left side, getting worse... It may be time to think -- TICKER. Early FJRs had valve stem seals that were too tight causing oil starvation in the valve guides which led to valve guide and valve stem wear. The result was a 'rattling noise'. Once the wear gets bad enough to hear, oil is leaking down into the combustion chamber. Over time Yamaha determined one of the best diagnosis of the problem was to pull the exhaust header and look for traces of oil coating the header. Yamaha used to pick up the cost of removing the cylinder head and machining out the valve guides, then replacing the guides with slightly looser stem seals, new guides and new valves. If this is indeed the source of your rattling you will have to negotiate with Yamaha over picking up the cost. You can use a mechanics stethoscope to listen to the valve train, this will quickly rule out a ticker.
Ok, we have the worst case on the table. Now, do you know if the Throttle Position Sensor has been changed? The beginning of engine misfire because of the TPS wearing out *might* cause the noise you are hearing. The TPS is often temperature sensitive, only malfunctioning when hot and always at the same throttle opening without regard to gear or speed.

If the above and bad gas are ruled out there is an outside chance that the reed valves in the Air Injection System have carboned up and are stuck slightly open or the AIS solenoid is stuck open or has been unplugged. The AIS solenoid is normally open and has to be powered to close. The AIS is supposed to inject air into the exhaust stream only when the engine is cold or once warm, only at idle. This does indeed cause popping in the exhaust during deceleration.
Thanks Ion, gonna print this and take it to my shop!