Torque Wrenches

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjr turbine

Reaction score
Hey, everyone,

I posted this on another board and didn't get much response,

so I thought I'd post here to see if I got a liitle better replies.

I could use a couple of opinions regarding torque wrenches.

I am specifically looking for one that will do 20-600 (or so)

inch-pounds that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and that is

reasonably accurate.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for your help (and time).

Jim

I got one from Sears, on sale 50% off. Craftsman is tough to beat for the non-professional, quality/value wise, IMO.

Jim, a unit with that large a range would be prohibitively expensive - if such existed at all.

I use a Proto 3/8" unit with the range of 40-200 inch pounds, equivalent to ~3.25 - 16.5 ft/lb. That nestles between my 3/8" Craftsman digital of 5 - 80 ft/lb, and a tiny 1/4" unit from Proto I use mostly for gunsmithing of the range 10 - 50 in/lb. And I have an even heavier range 1/2" Proto for Godzilla repair (Rear wheel retaining nut).

They overlap. That's because even the best units are not rated for desired - and needed - accuracy at the upper and lower 20% of their ranges.

Sure, you usually "can get away with" using a value near the extreme of their range. But, in posts here about the Super Brace, accuracy has really been shown to count. Called for 10 - 12, it seems 12 is the minimum number that works, and someone suggested 14, but no more, to be "smart" (And I agree). At 3% accuracy of max value of my 5 - 80, but only guaranteed between 20% from either end, my setting of 12 could range anywhere fomr 9.6 to 14.4.... AT BEST!!! It won't even be guaranteed that accurate until it's measuring values beyond 17.

Yes, accurate and long-lived torque wrenches are expensive, and more than one of them is more expensive than that. But, so is having your $145 Super Brace fall off, and way less expensive than having your swingarm pivot bolt clatter down the highway.

Look upon the expense as Peace Of Mind for the home mechanic, that can be moderated by persistent Web searching. I chose Proto because they were on sale at the time, and are broadly viewed by professionals in the same regard as Snap-On, Craftsman, and serveral other makes.

All the top rated units will give good and long service if kept clean and oiled, used only in their specified direction and only to TIGHTEN, and are relaxed from measured settings when put away.

Best wishes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm an aircraft mechanic I have had expencive Snap-on and cheap Crapsman and I have to have mine calibrated every 6 months. I concur a 20 to 600 iin/lb would be difficult to find. Just get 2 wrenches. You can get Pittsburg tools torque wrenches from Harbor Freight. They hold cal as good as any Snap-On and cost 90% less. I'll prolly get flamed for that but 15 yrs of experience dosent lie.

Latest posts