Tour of Sicily gone nationwide

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teerex51

The Italian Scallion
Reaction score
CYPGH-CartaSicilia.JPG

The best laid plans and all that :rolleyes: . We were planning to arrive Sicily from Northern Italy after a 21-hour crossing by car-ferry, do a tour of the island from/to Palermo (1,000 kilometers give or take) and hit the boat heading North a week later, have a few beers and enjoy the cruise-like atmosphere.

This sounded entirely reasonable before the bad weather came in.

On our way South we had gale-force winds and heavy seas rocking a 50,000-Ton ship like an ultra-light aircraft. This did not go well with our lasagna dinner, nor with everyone else's on board :blink:

The best part is, it seemed the bad weather system was going to hover over Southern Italy for a week and there was no escaping that.

We decided we'd try and stay ahead of the fronts as they coursed over the island and the smart move was to circle Sicily clockwise.

MondellodalM.Pellegrino.JPG

We stayed 2 days in Palermo enjoying a brief lull in the weather. Above is the beachfront at Mondello, that is Palermo's own beach resort.

Below you see one of the old city gates of the Sicilian capital. The wind was blowing stronger all the time so we figured it was time to head East.

Palermo.JPG

Man, those clouds moved fast... :unsure: They caught us on the North Coast halfway to Messina and drenched us. That's cool, we thought, we're dressed for it anyway. So we pressed on and rounded the island's easternmost tip and turned SW to Taormina.

Taormina.JPG

Taormina is a great old town perched on a hill overlooking the Mediterranean. So why's everything so dark? And why's everybody dressed in ski clothes?

A bottle of red wine later we figured it'd be sunnier further south in Siracusa, so the next day we rode on down the highway and we arrived there in bright sunshine, taking in the sights and enjoying the local food.

Ortigia.JPG

Did I already say those clouds were pretty fast? Well, they were... We fired up our FJRs and headed further South. Sicily being an island, you can only ride so far before you hit the surf. That place is called Capo Passero and an old shuttered-down hotel marks the spot. That's as far as Italy goes.

CapoPassero.JPG

The road took us in a north-westerly direction to the old town of Noto, famous for its baroque architecture. The old town is pedestrians only but we figured: who's going to notice 2 motorbikes during siesta-time?

Noto.JPG

We were just done taking pictures when this Sicilian guy warned us the Carabinieri would be around in minutes and they'd not be amused.

So, goodbye Noto and hello Ragusa, another very old town. The rain had us beat. It was already there by the time we rode into town.

There's an old part of town called Ibla that's straight out of a movie set. In fact, it is often used for shooting movies and TV shows where a definite Sicilian ambience is required.

RagusaIbla.JPG

A walking tour of Ibla was worth the drenching we got. Nothing that a bottle of Nero d'Avola can't cure anyway.

Next day, bright and early we pressed on for Agrigento and the famous Valley of Temples. Can't beat those ancient Greeks who colonized Sicily at one time. Modern day Agrigento, just a couple of miles away from those wonderful temples, is a bleak and dreary place.

Agrigento.JPG

Our next destination now was Cape San Vito, the westernmost tip of Sicily. Believe it or not, it was already clouding up when we got there.

CapoSVito.JPG

We had to make a few decisions here.

Weather was getting worse real fast and the ferry services to Northern Italy had just been suspended. In fact, we were fresh out of options: we simply had to take the overland route along the Italian "boot"'s western shore. That's another 2,000 kms or so from where we stood in San Vito. That's just 1,300 miles in your world but the highways in Southern Italy are bad and the weather was going to suck at least for one third of the way. Well, as I already pointed out, we had run out of alternatives, so we put our gear on and navigated our way East through the weather.

Once on the mainland we headed North into the wind and sleet until we reached the city of Salerno (Operation Avalanche, Sep 1943, ring a bell?).

Suddenly the sky was blue and the sun was shining again. So we decided we'd detour to the Amalfi Coast and on to Sorrento.

Atrani.JPG

This above is the village of Atrani. Below, you see the more famous town of Positano.

Positano.JPG

Heck, Sorrento is not a bad-looking place, either, and we got there on a crisp Saturday afternoon. The locals were complaining about the unseasonable temperatures, but we were actually happy to be dry for a change. Nothing that a bottle of red can't cure etc.

Sorrento.JPG

Above, there's Mount Vesuvius in Naples as seen from a safe distance in Sorrento (50 road kms). The next day we breezed through Rome and raced North along the coast. The weather was now so perfect, we had to take another detour. Some 140kms North of Rome there lies Mount Argentario, a small peninsula jutting out into the Med. We just had to spend a few hours there.

PortoErcole.JPG

Well, we were getting dangerously close to home (only 400 kms to go). The Tour of Sicily had meanwhile become a Tour of Italy and was quickly coming to a close, too. So we rode on and called it a day. A total of 3,260 kilometers, lots of rainwater, a fair amount of wine and 8 days on the move.

I can sure think of worse ways to spend my time. Like working, for one.

Stef

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting Stef. That's some absolutely gorgeous scenery. Too bad the rain took some fun out of it.

Wow - beautiful scenery - thanks for the trip report. Sounds like a great trip - minus the rough boat trip - rain isn't too big a problem in my book compared to rough seas. Getting sick just thinking about it! :sick:

Thanks for the pics Stef.

My grandparents came from Sicily. I've never seen it though. It's beautiful!

Keep it up, Stef, and you're going to have a bunch of North American FJR owners booking a ride with you!

Great pictures and wonderful story. You certainly live in a beautiful part of the world. It looks likes your "option" turned out fairly well. At least you were riding and not having to sit in a hotel room and drink another bottle of red waiting for the rain...wait a minute.....

Stef;

Thanks for taking us on your journey, that was awesome.

Now I just need to get there and not look at pictures.

Saludos Stefano,

Muchas gracias! As is usual from you: Great photography, nice map backup and very interesting narrative. Fantastico!

Recuerdos, Chuy

Thanks everyone for your comments. I'm glad you enjoyed this ride report :D

I guess the strong winds and partly cloudy skies made for crisper colors and more interesting photography.

The risk of shooting postcards is extreme when you're surrounded by overwhelming beauty. :eek:neeyedsmiley:

If you want to see more pictures from the same trip, you're most welcome to CLICK HERE

Stef

Last edited by a moderator: