Towing question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRay

Reaction score
My son has been using a device to tow his bike that has the front wheel in a chock attached to the receiver hitch and leaves the rear wheel on the ground. It looks stupid as hell to me but seems to work.

My concern it the rear wheel turning the counter shaft all the time with  no oiling to the transmission. maybe with the bike at that angle enough oil gets to things but I told him I didn't think it was a good idea.

Have any of you folks had any experience with such a device and have any thoughts. 

Shaft drive bike?  Maybe not such a good idea.  Belt or chain - just unhook it for the drive.  Harder to do with the shaft. 

No idea if it would harm anything or not but I wouldn't do it unless someone could convince me there would be no problem.

Edit to add:  Obviously, it will wear out the rear tire if hauling a long distance.  I wonder what happens if you hit a bump hard enough to pop it into gear?

Shaft drive bike?  Maybe not such a good idea.  Belt or chain - just unhook it for the drive.  Harder to do with the shaft. 

No idea if it would harm anything or not but I wouldn't do it unless someone could convince me there would be no problem.

Edit to add:  Obviously, it will wear out the rear tire if hauling a long distance.  I wonder what happens if you hit a bump hard enough to pop it into gear?
He puts a zip tie around the clutch lever in case it gets into gear.