TPS Recall and DIY

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueJet

Reaction score
I never got the TPS changed on my '05 per the recall.

Rather than getting a dealer to change the TPS as part of the recall (if its not too late), I am thinking about doing it myself. I found the "how to change the TPS" thread on the forum, but I haven't read how owners are getting the part if they want to do the work on their own. Dealer hands the part to me with some paperwork? (As I write this I have the feeling everyone is going to tell me that to get a replacement TPS under the recall, the dealer will have to do the work.)

I'm planning on doing the TPS check this weekend. Bike is running OK but I think its time for me to do another TB synch. I've been doing most of my own maintenance and I keep putting off this TPS change. I've got the throttle springs modified and have a Power Commander III on board and dread the thought of a dealer messing around under the tank.

Speaking of which, how is the PC3 interacting with the TPS again?

Didn't plan on the double questions in this post. I'm just not on the FJR forum enough, and out of touch with the bike!

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never got the TPS changed on my '05 per the recall.I am thinking about doing it myself.

(As I write this I have the feeling everyone is going to tell me that to get a replacement TPS under the recall, the dealer will have to do the work.)

Thanks.
Not me..., I ordered my TPS from Gary McCoy and he credited my credit-card when I returned the old part. He was at his previous place of employment (University Motors) -- he's now at MonDak Motorsports (see 'Dealer & Vendor Feedback Forum').

IME, once you establish your reputation with a dealership (and their personnel) you can often do your own, simple, warranty work (if you want to?) -- and it's a win-win, as they get compensated for warranty labor.

(that reputation/trust thing is key, tho... :blink: ;) )

You're welcome.

I did the diagnostic test on the TPS and it was fine, no problems. 16 closed throttle, 98 open. Didn't skip a beat when rolling on the throttle slowly.

Should I replace it anyway since it was a recall item or get the part and keep it on standly in case this one fails? I'd like to keep the stock one installed unless it is destined to fail.

Should I replace it anyway since it was a recall item or get the part and keep it on standly in case this one fails? I'd like to keep the stock one installed unless it is destined to fail.
I would suggest it -- yes.

There were a very high number of failures -- so much, that Yamaha instituted a recall (they don't do that very easily or often).

I can tell you from experience that when it becomes a problem (starts to fail) it can become infuriating, and worse. First, your engine won't run properly (sometimes) and in my worst-case-scenario -- the engine died while executing a right turn at a stop light city intersection (while in the middle of the turn). Try not falling down in that situation.... :eek: :(

The new one has been fine for years.... :)

I did the diagnostic test on the TPS and it was fine, no problems. 16 closed throttle, 98 open. Didn't skip a beat when rolling on the throttle slowly.
Should I replace it anyway...
It turns out that passing the diAG test isn't 100% positive in determining the health of the TPS. As the resistor material in the TPS begins to wear thin it often becomes heat sensitive causing problems only when everything is fully up to temperature. The TPS wears out in the locations where the throttle most commonly operates, typically around idle and within the vicinity of 3k rpm. When the TPS fails you will have very rough running or stalling in a very narrow rpm range. Regardless of gear selection the engine will always misfire at the same rpm.

My TPS had these symptoms and it took me a while to figure out it was the TPS because it only happened when it got very hot. I changed my TPS before it was known to be a problem and before any recall. A couple of years later a Yamaha dealer told me that my '04 needed the TPS changed. I told him that I already had changed it before the recall. He said that if I had the TPS to bring it in and he would refund me my money. I told him that it was in pieces because I did an autopsy on it. It didn't matter, they took the pieces and refunded my payment.

How To Replace the TPS

TPS Guts