Tracer 9 GT as FJR Replacement?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossKean

Reaction score
Interesting to see that they have released a 2024 Tracer 9 GT+ and they call it "Yamaha's Ultimate Sport Tourer"
https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/models.php?product=204&action=productPage
Canadian site blurb says:
The flagship of Yamaha's Sport Touring range, the new Tracer 9 GT+ is a technological juggernaut offering a level of sophistication unmatched in its class. It starts with the new Millimeter Wave Radar which detects distance of vehicles ahead, enabling groundbreaking radar-linked Adaptive Cruise Control and Unified Brake Systems. Additional features like the KYB semi-active suspension, integrated riding modes, lean-sensitive rider aids, new smartphone connectivity with fullscreen Garmin navigation, new third-generation quickshifter and a host of other advanced features ensure comfort and capability nothing else in its price category can touch.

Might not mean anything, despite calling the Tracer 9GT+ "Ultimate" or "Flagship". Certainly appears that Yamaha threw some technology at it but nobody will know for sure until an official announcement is made.

Other than my first motorcycle a 1956 Zundapp 200cc 2-cycle all subsequent bikes have been shaft drive. The new Tracer 9 GT+ has great reviews and seems to offer many of the features of the FJR. I however would not by a motorcycle for distance touring with chain drive or belt drive.
Amen Art!

I don't know about the tires, but this guy is a hoot. Intertaining review.

GP

Interesting to see that they have released a 2024 Tracer 9 GT+ and they call it "Yamaha's Ultimate Sport Tourer"
The flagship of Yamaha's Sport Touring range, the new Tracer 9 GT+ is a technological juggernaut offering a level of sophistication unmatched in its class. It starts with the new Millimeter Wave Radar which detects distance of vehicles ahead, enabling groundbreaking radar-linked Adaptive Cruise Control and Unified Brake Systems. Additional features like the KYB semi-active suspension, integrated riding modes, lean-sensitive rider aids, new smartphone connectivity with fullscreen Garmin navigation, new third-generation quickshifter and a host of other advanced features ensure comfort and capability nothing else in its price category can touch.

Might not mean anything, despite calling the Tracer 9GT+ "Ultimate" or "Flagship". Certainly appears that Yamaha threw some technology at it but nobody will know for sure until an official announcement is made.

Can't say for exactly how long but I've noticed Yamaha has been referring to that platform as their favored sport-tourer for at least the last couple of years. Like you said, might not mean anything, but I've read into that as a signal the FJR was pointed into the sunset.

Edit: Just realized this wasn't about the FJR anymore but split from the original thread. <sigh>

Edit: Just realized this wasn't about the FJR anymore but split from the original thread. <sigh>
I thought it relevant to the original discussion because of Yamaha's description of the Tracer 9GT+ as their "flagship" tourer. However, I see that it could end out derailing the intent of the original thread :rolleyes: . Doesn't matter to me.

I would like to see a revival of the FJR platform brought up to current standards in terms of engine and electronics. I like the lower weight of the Tracer at just 492 lb but the 890 cc triple with 108 hp doesn't really excite me - betting you have to wind it up pretty good before getting that much out of it. (I have no doubt that it is still enough to get you into trouble pretty quickly.) I would also have to see how the ergonomics worked for me (6'3", 200 lb). Another 40-50 hp in a bike under 600 lb could be really interesting although I doubt I would want to fork over the money they would be asking for such a beast...

In past years, Yamaha has revived the Venture twice. First Gen to 2nd Gen was reasonable (I had a 2002 Gen 2 Royal Star Venture) and the V4 engine (in both Gens) worked well. By the time they discontinued the Gen 2, it was looking like a Goldwing wannabe and needed to be upgraded or dumped. The third incarnation as a monstrous, underpowered V-twin was an abomination trying to fill a niche between Harley Ultra and Goldwing or BMW K1600. It failed miserably. I hope if the FJR comes back that they do it right but I'm afraid that the demand for modern sport-tourers has been lost to overgrown adventure bikes - BMW and KTM, in particular. Perhaps the pendulum will swing back in time...

I'm getting to be an old fart, but I just don't lust for more and fancier electronics. Does anyone really need five drive modes, adaptive cruise control and complex infotainment systems on a motorcycle?

Article on 2024 Tracer 9 GT+
https://ridermagazine.com/2023/08/16/2024-yamaha-tracer-9-gt-review-road-test/

Last edited:
I suspect the FJR 's "replacement" will be something like the Ninja 1000 SX or GSX-S1000GT+ ( if I have that alphabet soup right).

Perhaps that's how they're trying to position the Tracer?

I suspect the FJR 's "replacement" will be something like the Ninja 1000 SX or GSX-S1000GT+ ( if I have that alphabet soup right).

Perhaps that's how they're trying to position the Tracer?

Might be worth repeating.
The Suzuki GSX-S1000GT+ is a chain driven street bike with luggage that might give the impression of travelling pretensions, but it DOES NOT have a center stand either standard or optionally available. Might not be a problem for those who stay close to home, but is IMO a big problem for those who go traveling. Don't know what Suzuki was thinking there, although there is a lot to like about it otherwise.

dan

Hopefully I'll never buy a chain drive bike again. However there is that never say never thing that may come back to bite me.
My BMW F700GS is a chain drive and although I don't hate that aspect, it isn’t a feature I would willingly choose for a sport tourer. Certainly can't ignore maintenance (clean, lube), adjustment and semi-regular replacement. For me, it is a nuisance but realistically doesn't take much time.

Chains these days are pretty good. I have 12,000 fairly aggressive miles on my S1000RR's and it's only needed adjustment twice. I understand that replacement's a pain compared to a shaft, but no splines to lube.

I hear you about the center stand though. Big omission.

Last edited:
Purchased my first fjr new in 2008. 50k miles later I traded it in for my 2013 fjr. Also purchased a 2015 Super Tenere to try the ADV thing but kept my fjr. This September I traded Tenere in (46k miles) on a Tracer 9GT.
I here what you all are saying but got to tell you after 2700 miles on Tracer the fjr is for sale too.

I sold my 2016 ES for a 2020 Tracer GT to go lighter. Big mistake for me, felt like a toy. I now have a 2022 FJR again. Very happy.
Different opinions. I think the fjr feels like a tank compared to the tracer.

Different opinions. I think the fjr feels like a tank compared to the tracer.
But sometimes a tank is the right tool for the job!
My F700GS is way more maneuverable than my FJR and weighs more than 200 lb less. Nice around town and gnarly dirt roads. As a sport-tourer, it doesn't hold a candle to the FJR for smoothness, raw power, comfort, wind/rain protection, stability, suspension and all-day mile munching. I'm guessing the Tracer would be somewhere in between,

Getting off topic, but this related to over complication of electronics on a motorcycle. I have been following a bit about BMW's release of the R1300GS within the last couple of weeks. Someone posted something on "Modes" and I was shaking my head in disbelief. I had to look up some of the stuff to see what it was! Apparently, it is all there but you have to pay to have some of it activated...

1697068037573.png

This is only some of the nonsense!

My BMW F700GS is a chain drive and although I don't hate that aspect, it isn’t a feature I would willingly choose for a sport tourer. Certainly can't ignore maintenance (clean, lube), adjustment and semi-regular replacement. For me, it is a nuisance but realistically doesn't take much time.
I like to ride the dusty dirty roads and I'm at a simplify point in my life with multiple bikes. Not that chains are the worst thing but 4oz of shaft oil every 16k plus miles beats the hell out of chain cleaning, lube, adjust and replacement along with sprockets.
Shaft means more riding, less wrenching:)

All this Tracer, BMW GS, ADV as a 'replacement' for the FJR, yet at 5'5" and a shorty inseam on top of that, I can't even reach the foot pegs on those things! You 5'10"-6'+ guys sure have a lot more choices to make. Is that the good or bad news? Prob goes both ways, but made my decision that much easier.

I sat on one, and talked to a salesman at Mountain Motorsports in Duluth, Georgia