Tracer 9 GT as FJR Replacement?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting to see that they have released a 2024 Tracer 9 GT+ and they call it "Yamaha's Ultimate Sport Tourer"
https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/models.php?product=204&action=productPage
Canadian site blurb says:
The flagship of Yamaha's Sport Touring range, the new Tracer 9 GT+ is a technological juggernaut offering a level of sophistication unmatched in its class. It starts with the new Millimeter Wave Radar which detects distance of vehicles ahead, enabling groundbreaking radar-linked Adaptive Cruise Control and Unified Brake Systems. Additional features like the KYB semi-active suspension, integrated riding modes, lean-sensitive rider aids, new smartphone connectivity with fullscreen Garmin navigation, new third-generation quickshifter and a host of other advanced features ensure comfort and capability nothing else in its price category can touch.

Might not mean anything, despite calling the Tracer 9GT+ "Ultimate" or "Flagship". Certainly appears that Yamaha threw some technology at it but nobody will know for sure until an official announcement is made.
I sat on one at the Mountain Motorsports dealership in Duluth, Georgia. It wouldn't be my choice for a replacement for the FJR. The salesman I spoke to had the opportunity to travel with a group riding a Tracer. He'd also traveled on an FJR. Without saying much he gave his opinion. One of which involved the vibration of the Tracer's three cylinder engine.
My impression was that it's too tall, too short, and too small to accommodate long distance travel in comfort, with performance. I'm hoping Yamaha rethinks it. I doubt that the Tracer's fuel economy will be much better than an FJR also. I can achieve 48 mpg on a two lane road at reasonable speeds. I'd nearly bet money that the Tracer won't best the FJR in mpg by much.

The writing is on the wall folks. FJR is out. Tracer 9 is in. If we are lucky, we will have another 2-3 years of the FJR. Wtih no updates of course. All R&D money and promotion is going to the Tracer. IT is Yamaha's S/T bike for the future. At least there will be lots of clean used FJRs on the market for years to come.

That is unfortunate, but emissions and sales numbers have predicted the FJRs extinction.

The writing is on the wall folks. FJR is out. Tracer 9 is in. If we are lucky, we will have another 2-3 years of the FJR. Wtih no updates of course. All R&D money and promotion is going to the Tracer. IT is Yamaha's S/T bike for the future. At least there will be lots of clean used FJRs on the market for years to come.

That is unfortunate, but emissions and sales numbers have predicted the FJRs extinction.
I am afraid that you are right…

Being on the ST Owners forum I see the FJR being around for quite some time even if Yamaha ceases production. Someone will post a RTE on that board and maybe one or two ST's will show with all others being Yamaha's, BMW's, and various other brands. Of course the ST has been gone since 2012ish but still supported by many on that forum.
Might as well start buying up FJR parts bikes for the future.

No Tracers or ADV bikes for this old man. I look stupid riding through town standing on the pegs.

But for now still supported by mamma Yamaha so we can enjoy!

Do you want to sell your 14 FJR ?

I’d bet not. I’m not looking to sell mine either.

I have 4 other bikes in the garage, all of them have chains. I’m not anti chain. They are easy to service. With modern o-ring chains you can either lube the crap out of them or not. Doesn’t seem to make a lot of difference. I squirt some shit on there every once in a while, but I’m nit convinced it’s worth the price of the lube. Mostly I do it so the chain doesn’t rust.

I considered the T900GT but like all the FJ/Tracer versions, I found them ugly to behold. The newest gen is no better, may be even worse. If I'm dropping that kind of cash on a bike, I want to be able to look at it too. And Yamaha is asking stupid cash for the new gen, IMHO. The other point is that it is not a good 2-up bike so what's the point of it being an ST?

Would I like my '15 FJR to be a little lighter, less wieldy to move around the garage? Yeah but at what cost? Not for a Tracer- that's for sure.

I'm not sure what it would take to update the FJR to meet current standards; someone else mentioned more tech, which I don't want/need, nor do I want/need more power or performance.

I considered the T900GT but like all the FJ/Tracer versions, I found them ugly to behold. The newest gen is no better, may be even worse. If I'm dropping that kind of cash on a bike, I want to be able to look at it too. And Yamaha is asking stupid cash for the new gen, IMHO. The other point is that it is not a good 2-up bike so what's the point of it being an ST?

Would I like my '15 FJR to be a little lighter, less wieldy to move around the garage? Yeah but at what cost? Not for a Tracer- that's for sure.

I'm not sure what it would take to update the FJR to meet current standards; someone else mentioned more tech, which I don't want/need, nor do I want/need more power or performance.
Friend of mine wore out his Wing. Got the Tracer, lighter in his Toy Hauler. I don't think he's happy. Wife isn't.

At the risk of repeating myself, which my wife says is not uncommon, I bought an early 900GT, kept it one year, rode it just enough to get past the break in, changed the oil and sold it. Did not care for several things, though I did like the weight compared to an FJR. Lack of coverage, even with a (still small) larger shield. Uncomfortable seat and pegs. I' 5'8 with a 30" inseam. On my next FJR, added the T-Rex lowering kit and now I can pretty much flat foot it.

No clouds on the shot below.

Attachments

• 0S1A7918.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Interesting to see that they have released a 2024 Tracer 9 GT+ and they call it "Yamaha's Ultimate Sport Tourer"
https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/models.php?product=204&action=productPage
Canadian site blurb says:
The flagship of Yamaha's Sport Touring range, the new Tracer 9 GT+ is a technological juggernaut offering a level of sophistication unmatched in its class. It starts with the new Millimeter Wave Radar which detects distance of vehicles ahead, enabling groundbreaking radar-linked Adaptive Cruise Control and Unified Brake Systems. Additional features like the KYB semi-active suspension, integrated riding modes, lean-sensitive rider aids, new smartphone connectivity with fullscreen Garmin navigation, new third-generation quickshifter and a host of other advanced features ensure comfort and capability nothing else in its price category can touch.

Might not mean anything, despite calling the Tracer 9GT+ "Ultimate" or "Flagship". Certainly appears that Yamaha threw some technology at it but nobody will know for sure until an official announcement is made.
So tired of the same old grey.

While the Tracer 9 GT+ has a lot of interesting tech, what it can not do is carry FJR1300 hard bags natively. Like my 2020 Tracer 900 GT can, which is why that bike has replaced the FJR for my needs. Have not lost any carrying capacity using FJR cases, and wifey and I tour on this platform all summer long:

ProsserTracer.jpg

HellscapeFires_sm.jpg

BW Deer2.jpg

Number1.jpg

ToursStart.jpg

I went to my local Yamaha dealer to investigate a Tracer 9GT and asked them for a quote for my ‘17 FJR as a trade-in…They refused as they already have an used FJR on the floor. So, I went to the BMW dealer who happily gave me a trade-in value.