Track Day Videos (the sequel)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leskid

Reaction score
Hello all

This is the sequel to the last time I went to the track and posted pics. This time, I mounted a Gopro camera here & there on the bike. For pics / description of the track, read the post from last track day, back in July. Click: Track Day Pics (finally)

This time, my group consisted of 2 kawi ZRX 1200s, a couple Honda Hawks, my '03 FJR and the stars of my personal grudge matches: two gorgeous, shiny Ducatis. A 749S and a 998S.

Seeing as how my scoot outweighs all others by at least 200lbs, it's a foregone conlusion I'd be back of the pack, right? heh heh heh. In the afternoon sessions, the FJR was apparently the HIT of the peanut gallery as the other groups watched us ride. People just don't expect to see a TOURING bike on a tight little supermoto track.

In the morning sessions, no one paid attention to the FJR, as you'd expect. While scarfing down sandwiches at lunch, however, some guys were bragging about their footpegs and knee pucks getting scuffed-up. One racer-dude took a stab at me, saying there's no way my bike is coming near the ground since, as he said: "it looks like you're out there on a sunday ride".

In his defense, while everyone else is screaming by the spectator area, with the FJR's low end torque, I'd steam-by at much lower RPM so at first glance, I'll concede it must have sounded like I was on my way to church.

I paused chewing my sandwich and said 'yeah? go look at my feelers'. Buddy got-up, walked over to the FJR to take a look. Much to his surprise, the left footpeg feeler was 1/3 worn-off and the my rear PR2 (running at 32lbs) was chewed-up, right to the edges.

As of that point, all eyes were on the FJR, apparently and I chuckled at all the ensuing comments when I'd come into the pits. Everyone laughed their asses off as my big ol' touring bike hauled-ass around that tight track and the guy said everyone laughed out loud when despite the yawning engine, they could hear the SCRAAAAAAAPE of the FJRs pegs being ground into oblivion. The highlight, of course, was when I'd pass the gorgeous red Ducks.

Video highlights: (don't forget to click the HQ button) BTW, sorry about the stupid string in the rear-facing camera angle

First clip:

Just getting warmed-up: The 749S passing me twice, from different angles, sigh :( in the second segment, you can see the pretty red duck crawling up my ass until I signal him to pass.

The 3rd clip segment is my coming up behind & passing the 998S, who is even wearing expensive Ducati Corse leathers. Poor squid. At least my saddlebags weren't on :D

Clicky

Second clip:

Gradually getting dialed-in. As this clip starts, I'm stuck behind a ZRX 1200. Buddy signals me to pass, a quick shoulder check and I'm off. Each time you see this guy, he's further and further behind until we see him no more, lol.

Final clip:

The final humiliation for team Italy - As soon as I've dispatched one of the Hawks and come-around the left-hander, there's my little pasta bastard. He's having an off-lap, apparently, but I'LL TAKE IT! VICTORY IS MINE! :yahoo:

Clicky

Awesome day, great fun track, no one ditched and a good time was had by all.

Andre in Montreal (AKA mister Le Skid)

PS: Team Yamaha, please send all sponsorship offers to my home address, lol

Nice lines on the track. Was that 2nd or 3rd the entire time?
3rd, the whole day. Pretty easy and just fun in the curves
Noice! Gonna have to hit that up one day. Was funny seeing you run it in third.. down to 2500rpm in some of the corners and letting the torque pull you out. I did much the same thing on Mauricie. Remind me to send you the pics of Mike's tires after he got home YOIKES!.

Oh ya, I might have 3 days free + the weekend the first week of Sept. Won't know for sure for a few days though. I should have my AVCC in by then too.

I really liked the videos found myself tilting my head like I was riding.

Not to change the subject but....... What the hell was that black thing hovering above you following you in the 3rd video??????? :alien:

We better have Renojohn take a look at this for a professional opinion. You better be careful :agent:

Not to change the subject but....... What the hell was that black thing hovering above you following you in the 3rd video??????? :alien:
We better have Renojohn take a look at this for a professional opinion. You better be careful :agent:
Turns out my monitor is flipping out its doing wierd shit on all videos now. what the hell? sorry guys no aliens.

Fun to watch. Amazing you got by those riders while you were running around 6K RPMs.
yep, fun is the word. That whole supermoto track is all low-rpm or shit your pants. At 2500-300 RPM, the throttle response from the FJR is already more than enough to STILL be on the brakes at every turn.

It sounds like I'm putt-ing around like a beginner but I'm 6 seconds off the fastest non-pro rider. I was constantly 60-61 seconds with a best of 59. The faster sport bikes in the fast groups were at 55 seconds and the best was 53. At ALL points in those videos, with my engine yawning away, my left peg is dragging or almost. So I was quite happy with my 60-61, given my big-assed ride.

If I go back, I know the lines well enough that maybe I'll dare shifting down to 2nd here & there but there's no way an FJR can navigate that course much faster than what we're already seeing. Maybe 2-3 seconds faster, is my guess.